Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 14:24   #2086
rbg
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
I will be riding to Ooty from Bangalore on the 1st of January, I have an epass for Kakanallah, but seeing some of the posts above, is it better off to take the longer route via Hosur - Salem - Avinashi - Ooty?

I am riding my bike, does this make any difference at the Mudhumalai check post if there's a long line of cars?
Being on two wheeler I guess you can filter through and cut down on the waiting time. I still suggest taking the routine route and try to make it till the checkpoint before noon. I did not see a single swab test when I was witnessing the e-pass verification by the TN police. 24th December was a long weekend and perhaps that could be the reason why the queue was so long. On your travel date 1st Jan hopefully I don't expect much folks to be crossing the border. Make sure you reach the checkpost before 11-12pm should be ok.
Plenty of deers spotting and monkeys sleeping in middle of road watch out.

Safe drive brother.
rbg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 14:47   #2087
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: KA 04/TN 23
Posts: 151
Thanked: 591 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
Being on two wheeler I guess you can filter through and cut down on the waiting time. I still suggest taking the routine route and try to make it till the checkpoint before noon.
Thank you, the epass site doesn't have two wheeler as an option, so I have chosen car and mentioned number of travelers as one, is this ok?
FURY_44 is offline  
Old 31st December 2020, 18:29   #2088
rbg
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Thank you, the epass site doesn't have two wheeler as an option, so I have chosen car and mentioned number of travelers as one, is this ok?
Surprised. I just check the website https://eregister.tnega.org/#/app/wizard
The bike option is available (last option in the drop-down)
Please check carefully. Don't give the police reason to harass you at the checkpost. Take color printout. Keep your ID card handy. There will be a guy wearing a straw hat and jeans who will collect a green tax of 30 Rupees hence keep exact change also ready.
You will be alright. All the best!
rbg is offline  
Old 4th January 2021, 09:55   #2089
Senior - BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 595 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

There was no Covid test when we crossed on 25th Dec around 9.30 am. They did not even verify the epass and made any register entries, I had stuck a color printout on the windshield and that would have helped. There was a small queue and 10 mts delay, probable due to the 30 Rs green pass fee collection and the narrow bridge
gadadhar is offline  
Old 5th January 2021, 14:20   #2090
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: KA 04/TN 23
Posts: 151
Thanked: 591 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
There will be a guy wearing a straw hat and jeans who will collect a green tax of 30 Rupees hence keep exact change also ready.
You will be alright. All the best!
So I completed my trip between Jan 1st & 3rd, reached Mudhumalai check post at around 11:00 AM on Jan 1st, met the guy with the straw hat, took 10 Rs from me since I was on a bike, there wasn't a big line as such, anyway I overtook all the cars in the line, mandatory entry of the epass number before I could go any further.

A KSRTC was halted just ahead of me and two lucky guys were chosen for random Covid19 tests and let off quickly, I guess this how they choose people
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:30   #2091
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 381
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Hi Guys, just a quick query on road condition on the gudalur descent ? Was pretty terrible the last time I was there in 2018, has there been any improvement ?
Ash_vtec is offline  
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:09   #2092
BHPian
 
FlashMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Hi Guys, just a quick query on road condition on the gudalur descent ? Was pretty terrible the last time I was there in 2018, has there been any improvement ?
I drove along the Gudalur route on both the onward and the return trip in late October/early November of 2020.
The road was mostly good to drive on (definitely not terrible), maybe a slightly broken tarmac here and there once in a while and a few spots where road repairs were being undertaken.
It was a smooth drive for the most part.
Hope this helps.
Cheers and have a wonderful trip!
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:28   #2093
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 381
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
I drove along the Gudalur route on both the onward and the return trip in late October/early November of 2020.
The road was mostly good to drive on (definitely not terrible), maybe a slightly broken tarmac here and there once in a while and a few spots where road repairs were being undertaken.
It was a smooth drive for the most part.
Hope this helps.
Cheers and have a wonderful trip!
Thanks a lot Flash, appreciate it. It is the more scenic route compared to Segur Ghat, and any which way the TN govt doesn't allow non TN 43 cars back down the same route.
Ash_vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 12:43   #2094
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

An update on the E-pass.
We were crossing Bandipur Madhumalai Stretch on the way to Kerala. At TN checkpost we were asked for E-pass, we had not taken and he asked for 'small money' to let us through. We paid 200/-. He says E-pass is necessary for Nilgiris district even if you are just passing through.
And there were another set of gentlemen waiting near the bridge where you turn to Ooty.
kit_dennis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:35   #2095
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 381
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Update on BLR-Mysore-Ooty route as of Feb 2021

*Road surface is great onward, despite road works and white-topping. Average speed is a little lower due to constant lane detours due to work but otherwise its smooth.

*Faster to cut thru Mysore than use ring road due to poor road surface.

*No E-pass needed but registration is mandatory where they just check at the border and ask for the usual ₹ 30/- to enter the reserve.

*Return as per usual, Non TN 43 vehicles not allowed down via Segur, so mandatory Gudalur descent which is scenic but adds 45-50min travel time. Road surface is good for 80% of descent, some bits quite rough. Low slung vehicles can cope with little care. C-SUV and upwards, no stress.
Ash_vtec is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 21:33   #2096
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,596
Thanked: 8,408 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Couple of queries for a potential visit:
1.Is TN e-pass required if one is just going till Theppakadu for a morning safari at Mudumalai and returning to Karnataka just after ?

2.Any recommended places for lunch at Gundlupet ? I know 3 places already from earlier visits - DeShell restaurant (in Misty Rock Hotel campus), Coffee Day, Nijaguna, any others ? I haven't traveled that side in 3 years.
NPV is offline  
Old 19th February 2021, 21:56   #2097
Senior - BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 2,284 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Hi NPV

1. No pass required. You can cross over at will.

2. You can try the lunch at JLR- Bandipur. I haven’t seen anything new come up that side.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 06:38   #2098
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,077
Thanked: 11,301 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
2.Any recommended places for lunch at Gundlupet ? I know 3 places already from earlier visits - DeShell restaurant (in Misty Rock Hotel campus), Coffee Day, Nijaguna, any others ? I haven't traveled that side in 3 years.
Best would be to carry one's own food and coffee/tea/water in these times. Most of the hotels seem to be very crowded.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 08:30   #2099
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,596
Thanked: 8,408 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Thanks for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
1. No pass required. You can cross over at will.
Going by previous posts, I think one needs to do the e-registration to avoid any possible harassment by the guys manning the checkpost ? Did you travel recently ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best would be to carry one's own food and coffee/tea/water in these times. Most of the hotels seem to be very crowded.
True, just wanted to be aware of any (newer) options in case needed.
NPV is offline  
Old 20th February 2021, 13:02   #2100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,307
Thanked: 9,668 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Going by previous posts, I think one needs to do the e-registration to avoid any possible harassment by the guys manning the checkpost ? Did you travel recently ?
If required you can do the e-registration on the spot as well, provided you have network coverage. I think recently you crossed TN border via hosur, its the same process.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks