Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 22:24   #2131
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are going to Ooty, the normal route is through Mysore - Bandipur - Masinagudi or Gudalur and then to Ooty. You can get another E-Pass for Kakanallah checkpost. RT-PCR is mandatory for those without two dose vaccine, lots of vehicles are sent back to KA.
Kosfactor, A Negative RT-PCR test is mandatory for "Travellers coming to the Nilgiris district from other States" weather you have both vaccinations done or not.
This is from the official website of the Nilgiris District, nilgiris.nic.in
Those with a Nilgiris Aadhar address are allowed entry without any problems.
As I have to drop a friend at Krishnagiri, I am taking the Salem route.
Thanks

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th September 2021 at 06:14. Reason: Quote tags fixed
hydtraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 07:32   #2132
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Those with two dose vaccines are allowed in without RT PCR as of this Sunday, I was one of them. If you are fully vaccinated, they do not ask for RT PCR. E- Pass is needed to enter Nilgiris.

Link
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 18:15   #2133

Hello All,

I'm travelling this Friday to Ooty from Hyderabad - the plan is to fly till Mysuru and then travel via road to Ooty. There is a lot of conflicting information regarding RT-PCR required vs Double Vaccinated certificate. I'm double vaccinated so not sure if I need the extra test done before travelling. Will appreciate any updates any one might have.

Regards
Old 15th September 2021, 22:36   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelro View Post
Hello All,

I'm travelling this Friday to Ooty from Hyderabad - the plan is to fly till Mysuru and then travel via road to Ooty. There is a lot of conflicting information regarding RT-PCR required vs Double Vaccinated certificate. I'm double vaccinated so not sure if I need the extra test done before travelling. Will appreciate any updates any one might have.

Regards
Accelro, as per the directive of the Nilgiris administration Negative RT PCR test is mandatory for tourists from other states who are entering the Nilgiris apart from an e pass. My neighbour from Hyderabad entered The Nilgiris today at around 6 pm from Kalanallah checkpost with a Negative certificate. They even refused to check his vaccination certificate.
hydtraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:53   #2135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
Accelro, as per the directive of the Nilgiris administration Negative RT PCR test is mandatory for tourists from other states who are entering the Nilgiris apart from an e pass. My neighbour from Hyderabad entered The Nilgiris today at around 6 pm from Kalanallah checkpost with a Negative certificate. They even refused to check his vaccination certificate.
Just an update - we crossed the border at Kakanallah border checkpost on 17th Sep 2021. There were quite a few vehicles along with ours and some of the local number plated cars were just driving through without stopping.
I gave the epass & covid reports and was surprised to note the constable/officer didn't even look at the papers they just made a note of my vehicle number and took my phone number and gave me the papers back.

There were a few other people from trichy etc. who didn't have any epass and in a similar manner they just wrote down the car number and took their phone number and let them through. No checks for RT-PCR or anything, I would say I was prudent in being getting the tests done even though they costed close to 4k for my family where as these rules don't seem to apply to others
Accelro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 10:40   #2136
BHPian

Entered Tamil Nadu border at Kakanallah check post from Bandipur side on 20 Sep with the following documents: 1. T.N E pass. 2. Vaccination certificates. 3. Negative RT-PCR certification. The duty officer took the e pass and made entries and asked if COVID Negative certificates were there. Did not look at it. Asked the officers if Negative RT PCR is required if double vaccination certificate is available. Stated that either of them would do. However the Official Nilgiris district web site states that Negative RT PCR is mandatory for tourist from other states entering Tamil Nadu. What a joke. Bureaucracy at its best wasting the public money and time.
Old 14th October 2021, 19:10   #2137
Distinguished - BHPian

Came to Kotagiri today via Mettupalayam from Bangalore. Just after entering Nilgiris district, there is a checkpost and E Pass was being checked and the detailed into a register. Neither RTPCR or vaccination certificate was asked.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 20:06   #2138
BHPian

Entered the Nilgiris via Mettupalyam and took the Kotagiri route. Was not stopped and checked for E pass or vaccination certificate. This was on 6th October at around 130 pm. Probably the staff was busy with lunch.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:38   #2139
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Please do share any latest update on the entry restrictions to Niligiris from Karnataka? Planning for a travel to ooty next week.

Last edited by manjubp : 21st October 2021 at 13:39.
Old 21st October 2021, 14:03   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Please do share any latest update on the entry restrictions to Niligiris from Karnataka? Planning for a travel to ooty next week.
On paper there are no restrictions. However during the Dasara long weekend, TN cops were harsassing for RT-PCR on those entering from Bandipur side. Not sure what was the status quo on the Burliar entry.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:15   #2141
BHPian

Manjubp , as narayan80 stated, there are no set procedure being followed for entering the Nilgiris. When I entered on the 21st September from Bandipur side only the e pass was properly checked and asked if RT-PCR was there. These certificates were not asked for nor the number of passengers checked. On 6th October while entering from Mettupalyam - Kotagiri side was not stopped at all. Best is to carry e pass which is still officially required and either RT-PCR or Vaccination certificate if entering from Bandipur side. Checks are more stringent on this entry point. Entry from Kotagiri and Burliar side is more flexible and the cops are very reasonable.
hydtraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:11   #2142

I started from Kalyan Nagar on 22nd October at 5 AM and reached Ooty at 11:30 AM.

Route Taken to Ooty : ​
Kalyan Nagar -> Kasturba Road -> Kengeri -> Mandya --> Mysore outer ring road --> Nanjangud --> Bandipur --> Mudumalai --> Theppakadu --> Masinagudi --> Ooty

Forest officials checked Final vaccination certificate and Epass for all three passenger's, upon verification, they made entry and only then allowed us pass through. Also, all our luggage's were opened and checked. There was a biker standing next to us who took only one shot of vaccination, and didn't have RT-PCR and was denied entry.

Route taken from Ooty:
Gudalur --> Mudumalai --> Bandipur -> Mandya --> Nice Road(some how I missed Electronic city route and Google Maps took me via Magadi road to Hebbal(long route) which I am unaware of but, made me skip a huge traffic jam after crossing RR Nagar and reached kalyan Nagar at 8 PM). Toll charge of 105 well spent

Road Condition:
Bangalore to Mysore route is not in great shape as usual. But, changes are evident that the new expressway is coming up shortly. Mysore ORR to Ooty via Gundlupet is in good condition even though its two way. Too many speed breakers inside Mudumalai and Bandipur forest area made me go mad.
Ooty to Gudalur route is in good condition but, there are little landslides and road deterioration in few areas.

Personally I enjoyed the Masinagudi route. Peaceful and short drive to Ooty.
GurulovesFord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 17:21   #2143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurulovesFord View Post

Route taken from Ooty:
Gudalur --> Mudumalai --> Bandipur -> Mandya --> Nice Road(some how I missed Electronic city route and Google Maps took me via Magadi road to Hebbal(long route) which I am unaware of but, made me skip a huge traffic jam after crossing RR Nagar and reached kalyan Nagar at 8 PM). Toll charge of 105 well spent
You mean NICE Road-Ecity exit- Silk board - Kalyan Nagar? That is a very long route. The shortest and fastest if you intend to take NICE road would be via Magadi road - Gorguntepalaya- Hebbal- Nagwara or NICE PES college exit- ORR-Gorguntepalaya- Hebbal or NICE Tumkur exit- Nelamangala Elevated highway -Gorguntepalaya-Hebbal. Among the three, my preference while coming from Mysore side heading to my home near Hebbal is Via NICE Tumkur road exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GurulovesFord View Post
Too many speed breakers inside Mudumalai and Bandipur forest area made me go mad.
They are there for a purpose, no? After all it is a Tiger reserve. Imagine how many more roadkills would have happened if there were no humps?
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 18:12   #2144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
They are there for a purpose, no? After all it is a Tiger reserve. Imagine how many more roadkills would have happened if there were no humps?
Agree.

What people do not realize is that once the sun goes down there is an intense amount of wildlife crossings all over the place. This also happens to be the time most of the people drive quickly to reach back home.

The speed bumps are there to protect the motorists as well because most cars made these days will not survive an impact with a wild boar, let alone something like an Indian Gaur.

Recently a friend of mine had a puncture late evening in the same stretch and as he was changing his tyre a leopard crossed the road ahead of him
Old 27th October 2021, 18:19   #2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
You mean NICE Road-Ecity exit- Silk board - Kalyan Nagar? That is a very long route. The shortest and fastest if you intend to take NICE road would be via Magadi road - Gorguntepalaya- Hebbal- Nagwara or NICE PES college exit- ORR-Gorguntepalaya- Hebbal or NICE Tumkur exit- Nelamangala Elevated highway -Gorguntepalaya-Hebbal. Among the three, my preference while coming from Mysore side heading to my home near Hebbal is Via NICE Tumkur road exit.

Thank you sandsun7 for letting me know about these 3 route options. My bad, I got used to Nice Road Electronic City-Silkboard-Kalyan Nagar thinking that's the fastest route(I am wrong). I guess, most probably Google maps got me connected through Magadi road - Gorguntepalaya- Hebbal- Nagwara. But, my question is, I got toll ticket for EC and first I was not sure how I got connected to Magadi Road. I was panicking and checked Maps twice If I have given the correct destination. I got relieved only after seeing Hebbal in the sign board.

Regarding speed breakers, I totally agree

Most Viewed