Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 18:06   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Kanakapura road, which is a severe mess between NICE road and Kanakapura, is seeing some work, at least in the initial stretches. Re-surfacing work in progress - currently they have reached AoL. Hope they continue to do this upto Kanakapura.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:57   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Any suggested hotels in Ooty? MakeMyTrip is showing glyngarth and sterling resorts. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion about them?
Glyngarth is away from the Ooty Town, if you prefer to just relax and stay in the Resort. No nearby Hotels, but the Resort has a Restaurant.

But both the Sterling Resorts are within the Ooty Town. You can also venture out for food within 2-3 kms. If you are looking at sightseeing also, then prefer Sterling.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 22:17   #2193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Glyngarth is away from the Ooty Town, if you prefer to just relax and stay in the Resort. No nearby Hotels, but the Resort has a Restaurant.

But both the Sterling Resorts are within the Ooty Town. You can also venture out for food within 2-3 kms. If you are looking at sightseeing also, then prefer Sterling.
Thank you. Just heard about wild planet resort. Looks good. Planning on a 2 day stay there and 1 day in Ooty. So sterling might be a good option for that.
Old 8th February 2022, 22:33   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Kanakapura road, which is a severe mess between NICE road and Kanakapura, is seeing some work, at least in the initial stretches. Re-surfacing work in progress - currently they have reached AoL. Hope they continue to do this upto Kanakapura.
Rapid progress is being made.

Aside, I wonder why they’ve constructed so many ‘Bad’ speed breakers as well. There are 4 bad ones in a stretch of 5 km, between the Ashram and Nice.
Old 8th February 2022, 23:26   #2195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Aside, I wonder why they’ve constructed so many ‘Bad’ speed breakers as well. .
I think only 2 new ones - near that temple before the AoL. This spot sees some congestion, esp on Saturdays. Will be helpful, though a bit inconvenient. The two in the vicinity of Tatguni were there earlier.

Btw, quite a few new ones between Konanakunte Cross and NICE road.

Let's see how far the repairs will be done. Only Bangalore south or into Ramanagar district also. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by condor : 8th February 2022 at 23:30.
Old 9th February 2022, 05:24   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Yes. I counted the Tataguni ones too. The congestion has increased these days due to a new restaurant that’s come up here.

The speed breaker design is very bad, especially, the new one near TataGuni. Had to go diagonal to avoid scrapping the bottom. Just yesterday, i Saw a very pretty TN registered Octavia make some ‘thud’ sound ahead of me. I don’t think the new ones are made to NHAI designs.
Old 9th February 2022, 09:25   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The speed breaker design is very bad, especially, the new one near TataGuni. .
I'm one of those many commuters who are delighted to finally drive on some good roads here! As a bonus, the bad patches on the stretch where metro viaduct is coming up for the yard beyond NICE road has also been patched up now. So it is a smooth drive almost till the NICE entrance. The NICE entrance is still very uneven though.

The hump before Agara cross is a disaster on the lane towards Kanakapura side. Even my Baleno which usually doesn't bottom out on humps so easily scraped it's belly here. Will have to really slow down and take it very carefully to avoid scraping. No issue on the opposite lane though. Strange, this , for an undivided road- Hump with different height for 2 lanes!!
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:27   #2198
BHPian

Safe to travel in interior Karnataka this weekend

Hi everyone,

I am planning to drive down to Mysore this weekend for a short getaway. Planning to leave by Saturday early morning from Bengaluru and return back by Sunday evening/night.

Given the current civil unrest in the state, just wanted to get an idea if it is safe to travel? I did hear on news about properties being damaged and ruckus being created and all but nothing particular about Mysore. Folks living around might have a perception of the on ground situation.

I plan to take the route via that Hassan highway as the Mysore highway is under construction at few stretches.
Old 10th February 2022, 12:33   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safe to travel in interior Karnataka this weekend

It is safe to travel, a politically instigated issue has no takers in this part of Karnataka.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 08:29   #2200

Re: Safe to travel in interior Karnataka this weekend

Travelled close to mandya on the same day it made front page news. Didn't find anything out of place except for people throwing COVID appropriate behaviour out in the wind and going about their usual chores.
MisterG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 19:16   #2201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The congestion has increased these days due to a new restaurant that’s come up here.
Glad that the work is progressing. That stretch between the two gates of AoL was pretty bad, and that was being done today.

The congestion due to the temple is only once a week. The veg restaurant is making it a 7 day affair, 3 times a day. Had been there long back, and food was decent. He has finally figured out that there was an opportunity for something good just outside they city - for people heading out or returning.

Last edited by condor : 11th February 2022 at 19:41.
Old 14th February 2022, 09:52   #2202

Hi,
We are planning a trip from Bangalore to Ooty in the 1st week of March. As advised in this thread earlier, we would be taking the Nelamangala/Bellur/Nagamangala route via mysore ORR. Would request your advice on the below -
1) We are driving a CRV (All new CR-V Petrol 2019 AT model). We would like to take the masinagudi route to reach Club Mahindra, Ooty. Would the ride be safe & comfortable given the no of hairpin bends on this route? I am a decent driver & have been driving for around 25 years now.
2) While our car is almost 2.5 years old, we have driven only around 10K km's till now. Need advise on which gear (D/S/L) should we use while driving uphill? Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:51   #2203
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusadingMonk View Post
Hi,
We are planning a trip from Bangalore to Ooty in the 1st week of March. As advised in this thread earlier, we would be taking the Nelamangala/Bellur/Nagamangala route via mysore ORR. Would request your advice on the below -
1) We are driving a CRV (All new CR-V Petrol 2019 AT model). We would like to take the masinagudi route to reach Club Mahindra, Ooty. Would the ride be safe & comfortable given the no of hairpin bends on this route? I am a decent driver & have been driving for around 25 years now.
If you are starting other than saturday, then Mandya-Mysore-Gundlupet-Ooty is better choice. Not worth going via Nelamangala/Bellur/Nagamangala. Unless you are in starting from very north of Bangalore district.

If you are new to the car and AT, I would suggest avoid Masinagudi route. Go via Gudalur. Beautiful, scenic and winding roads. You would enjoy the drive. I have driven numerous times via Masinagudi, it is choice for MT. With my DSG (AT) I would prefer via Gudalur

Last edited by manjubp : 14th February 2022 at 16:54.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 17:27   #2204

Thank you. I read earlier in this thread that there is a lot of construction work on the Bang Mysore highway & therefore was slightly wary. But if it is not very bad, would definitely prefer to use this route only. Starting from Whitefield side.
Am not exactly new to AT (have been using AT for around 8-9 years). However, have never driven the CRV on any hilly terrain except once to Goa from Bangalore. If the gudalur route is advisable, would definitely opt for that. Thanks once again
Old 14th February 2022, 17:42   #2205
BHPian

Hello,

Planning to visit Ooty this weekend. Have a couple of Questions.

Is the 36 hairpin bend route open and is e-pass required?

Thanks.

Most Viewed