Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2022, 23:20   #2236
BHPian
 
electro-monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Did a weekend trip to Ooty.
Lovely weather there in evenings (11-18 deg C)- one would be shivering to just get out of blanket to fetch the Tv remote.

Onwards route: Krishnagiri-dharmapuri-salem-bhavani-mettupalayam-coonoor-Ooty

Crossed Attibele toll at 7am- Reached coonoor at 2pm -reached hotel (The Baron's) at 3.30pm.
As someone mentioned before, came across heavy 2wheeler traffic 20 km before and after Salem and quite unruly too.

Return:
Started from Ooty at 12.30pm - Gudlupet@7pm - Whitefield@12.10am

This included 1hr worth photo breaks(Gudalur route is scenic) + 1 hr lunch break+ 2 hr for safari@Mudumalai wildlife sanctuary.

Saw many elephants, deers, peacocks on way.

--
Never thought I'll say this, but overall the Mysore route was better although the driving time was similar - Bear in mind that since I crossed Mysore around 9pm, so I encountered free flowing roads all the way to Bangalore even though it was a Sunday night. Came across LOTS of diversions, but they were rather well built and didn't obstruct the flow. Got sweet mileage for a petrol Swift - 22kmpl - helped surely by sustained low speeds of 60-70kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-mudumalai.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-barons.jpg  

electro-monk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:28   #2237
BHPian
 
electro-monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Best Route for Bangalore to Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
Questions
  • If we start at 5 AM, can Ooty be reached by 1 PM through the TN route with a breakfast break of 30 minutes?
  • Is the Masinagudi route more scenic than the TN Route?
  • Question about the choice of Vehicle Make? Which is more comfortable Etios or Dzire?
1. If you can cross Attibele toll by 5am, you will reach Ooty by 12.30pm with a break of half-an-hour.
2. Not aware as i have never taken Masinagudi route. Gudulur route is picturesque though.
3. If you need, here is a contact of a taxi: Srinivasan - 9611053999. He drives a well maintained Etios taxi, travels to Ooty often and is a nice gentleman to chat with (he will remember me as guy with white Swift at The Baron Ooty)
electro-monk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:12   #2238
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 7,261 Times
Default Re: Best Route for Bangalore to Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
We want to avoid the Mysore road because of the frequent diversions. Google is suggesting the Masinagudi route. But this has 36 Hairpin bends and my wife is not comfortable with Hairpin bends. The TN route via Krishnagiri - Mettupalayam-Kotagiri seems to take longer. It looks like it might take upwards of 7 hours with a breakfast break.
If you are taking a hired cab, you can leave that decision of route to the driver.

As of now the 'normal' Mysore road needs no alternatives, the diversions are not as bad as it used to be and the clean stretches are good enough to make up the lost time.

Going up and down through Gudalur is better , you also have opportunities to stop and enjoy the view. The route through Masinagudi has an overdose of all those speed breakers, currently they are unmarked due to a fresh coat of asphalt. Once the climb starts there is no place to stop as the roads are very narrow.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:50   #2239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 484
Thanked: 1,115 Times
Default Re: Best Route for Bangalore to Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are taking a hired cab, you can leave that decision of route to the driver.

As of now the 'normal' Mysore road needs no alternatives, the diversions are not as bad as it used to be and the clean stretches are good enough to make up the lost time.

Going up and down through Gudalur is better , you also have opportunities to stop and enjoy the view. The route through Masinagudi has an overdose of all those speed breakers, currently they are unmarked due to a fresh coat of asphalt. Once the climb starts there is no place to stop as the roads are very narrow.
.
I beg to differ. I just went and got back from Ooty on a weekday, early morning departure, and the regular route wasn't very pleasant. Please refer my post

https://https://www.team-bhp.com/for...ml#post5290552

I do agree that the Gudalur route would be the better option for your wife, but remember it takes about an hour more to reach the top.

The speadbreakers from Theppakadu up Sigur ghat are all marked.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:01   #2240
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 7,261 Times
Default Re: Best Route for Bangalore to Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
.
I beg to differ. I just went and got back from Ooty on a weekday, early morning departure, and the regular route wasn't very pleasant. Please refer my post
*Snip*
The speadbreakers from Theppakadu up Sigur ghat are all marked.
I am talking about yesterday, freshly laid roads and nice pitch black speed breakers!

I frequently travel this stretch, the BLR - MYS road is getting better by the week, perhaps you should have seen it a few weeks ago.

Many of the diversions are now surfaced properly and leveled unlike earlier. Certainly you cannot drive at the same speed as you would on the 6 lane stretch.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:11   #2241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 484
Thanked: 1,115 Times
Default Re: Best Route for Bangalore to Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I am talking about yesterday, freshly laid roads and nice pitch black speed breakers!

I frequently travel this stretch, the BLR - MYS road is getting better by the week, perhaps you should have seen it a few weeks ago.

Many of the diversions are now surfaced properly and leveled unlike earlier. Certainly you cannot drive at the same speed as you would on the 6 lane stretch.
I went last Monday and returned on Thursday. I guess we both have very different standards of what is an acceptable surface. All I know is my poor Fiat took quite a few painful jolts on the Mysore road where the different surfaces weren't blended in gradually, and at no point could I cruise at a steady speed for more than 30 seconds.

I am certain that all the speed breakers from the elephant camp at Theppakadu up Sigur are painted, and will check on my dashcam and revert.

Cheers.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 13:19   #2242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Banga
Posts: 472
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Please suggest some good places for family to have a lunch and bio-break in Gudalur for an upcoming Ooty trip.
ajithbr is offline  
Old 13th April 2022, 16:01   #2243
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Plan to travel from Bangalore to Mysore to visit Melkote and Mysore palace with kids and elders in Crysta. Going through the updates, though there are diversions but the road is motorable and comfortable. Am i right? Can someone suggest what is the best route to do Bangalore-Mysore?
Wheels is offline  
Old 14th April 2022, 13:46   #2244
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Plan to travel from Bangalore to Mysore to visit Melkote and Mysore palace with kids and elders in Crysta. Going through the updates, though there are diversions but the road is motorable and comfortable. Am i right? Can someone suggest what is the best route to do Bangalore-Mysore?
Yes, it is motorable and comfortable but with deviations and road constructions. With Innova crysta it should not be a problem at all.
Not sure from which part of Bangalore you start, but if you plan to visit Melkote first, may be you can take Hassan route and goto Melkote , finish it and then goto Mysore via Pandavapura.

-Ravi
ravib is offline  
Old 19th April 2022, 10:51   #2245
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 8
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Travelled from Bangalore to Ooty and got back (Apr 14-17 weekend). Took the Bangalore - Belur Cross - Nagamangala - Mysore route as the Mandya route is still under construction. Left Bangalore on 14th evening and stayed at Dhruvathare near Belur cross for the night so that the next day we can drive patiently through the forests and do some sight seeing at Ooty in the evening of 15th. There were heavy rains along the highway on 14th evening.

Had lunch at Mysore and drove through Bandipur- Masinagudi -Kalhatty - Ooty road. Mysore to Ooty took 3.5 hrs. Masinagudi route was quite steep, especially the first few hairpin bends. The leftward turning bends are a little challenging as you won't have much visibility to look ahead if there is an approaching vehicle until you almost complete the turn. The road is just two cars wide and you will not have much options to park until you reach Ooty once you leave Masinagudi.

The return was through Gudalur as they allow only local vehicles through the Ooty -Kalhatti- Masinagudi road. I had a word with the policeman there, he said they have made it a one way (except for local vehicles) but he had no idea why! Probably because it is too steep and narrow and they want to avoid downgoing traffic is my guess. Ooty - Gudalur road was scenic with a lot of curves and it has a lot of tourist spots. We didn't stop at any as we did not have time but there were at least 4-5 places. Roads were in excellent condition. Gudalur- Bandipur forest was lush green and we spotted a couple of elephants and several herds of deer all along.

So if you are travelling Bangalore-Ooty-Bangalore, remember that the return journey will be through Gudalur only which will increase your driving time by approximately 1 hr.
sudhi29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 18:33   #2246
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Does approach to ooty (planning from mysore/masinagudi side) have traffic jams on long weekends ? I am planning for coming weekend but apprehensive due to possible long weekend crowd thinking on the same lines.
Awaz is offline  
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:53   #2247
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Hello Friends, I am planning to do my first trip in my Creta Petrol SXO IVT to Ooty Hills. Has Anyone traveled on Bangalore - Ooty route recently? Although I have driven my 2013 Model I10 Manual to Trumula and Yelagiri hills, this is my first trip in an automatic. Appreciate your suggestions on the best route, whether Masinagudi (or) Gudalur route?
Thanks in advance.
rchelamkuri is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 16:48   #2248
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Heading for a holiday tomorrow to the Ooty area with home stay booked at Ooty. Few queries:
1. With a early morning start (5am) from Bangalore is it worth going for the mudumalai safari? ( is it true best sighting of animals is at dawn and dusk?)

2. If not for the forest safari on the Mysore - gundlupete route, any advantages to using this route compared to the 4 lane highway route via Avinashi Salem, especially since destination is Kotagiri?

3. Is it worth taking the thoppur- mecheri- mettur route as compared to the highway via Avinashi in terms of time (definitely shorter than the highway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Heading for a holiday tomorrow to the Ooty area with home stay booked at Ooty. Few queries:
-----
highway via Avinashi in terms of time (definitely shorter than the highway)
Correction: stay planned at Kotagiri

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th May 2022 at 19:21.
vandemanw is offline  
Old 4th May 2022, 19:32   #2249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 34
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
2. If not for the forest safari on the Mysore - gundlupete route, any advantages to using this route compared to the 4 lane highway route via Avinashi Salem, especially since destination is Kotagiri?
Maybe i will plan mettupalayam-anthiyur-mecheri-dharmapuri route for return and enjoy the masinagudi ascent to ooty. also helps if you stay in eastern suburbs of bengaluru
W@SIM is offline  
Old 9th May 2022, 12:21   #2250
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 8
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelamkuri View Post
Hello Friends, I am planning to do my first trip in my Creta Petrol SXO IVT to Ooty Hills. Has Anyone traveled on Bangalore - Ooty route recently? Although I have driven my 2013 Model I10 Manual to Trumula and Yelagiri hills, this is my first trip in an automatic. Appreciate your suggestions on the best route, whether Masinagudi (or) Gudalur route?
Thanks in advance.
Gudalur route is less steeper. Masinagudi to Ooty needs a bit more experience and attention. And it has a lot of speedbreakers. Also, there are extremely few places to stop/park your car once you leave Masinagudi. You almost have to keep driving until you reach Ooty without pause.
sudhi29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks