Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 15:54   #241
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

yes ampere. one has to reach pugmarks around a meal time for some options to be available. else one can generally get a bit of bread and an omelette or as you said rice and dal type stuff - these things work quite well for me too as I generally like adapting to local circumstances while travelling. another method I use is to carry lots of cold drinks and water etc in my ice box and pack some sandwiches and things in foil and carry them along. I find it much nicer to picnic along the way. But other considerations dictate that one has to stop at a CCD ish place (largely on account of the better half), so of late I ve cut out the sandiwches bit.
if one leaves BLR at 5am, one can easily land at the Gundlupet CCD around 830am or so. And consequently one can reach Ooty peacefully by 1230ish (lunch time) depending of course on traffic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Shankar said, if you want a proper restaurant, its Pug Marks at Bandipur. (Its a JLR property). But for all practical purposes, CCD at Gundlupet is perfect. It is also well stocked (Most of my experiences there have been good). The Gnudlupet CCD also serves as a perfect first break point from Bangalore. One would have done about 220 Km.

As regards to Pugmarks, one needs to be there in that hour for BF or Lunch. I think they dont have enough stuff left at odd hours. Can someone confirm that? I had that problem once, as I reached there at 3 while coming from Kerala. All I got was Roti Dal and Plain rice. (I could not ask for more! ) But yes the options do reduce.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th April 2011 at 15:57.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:20   #242

I have a question here. While coming back from ooty to mysore, can you really take the kalatti (36 hair pin) route ? The last time i came, i thought it was closed for white boards to climb down this route.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:47   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas.mys View Post
I have a question here. While coming back from ooty to mysore, can you really take the kalatti (36 hair pin) route ? The last time i came, i thought it was closed for white boards to climb down this route.
Yes Manas, you can. Only thing is you need to pass the checkpost at ooty before 6:00PM.

Well, there are times when the guards at the checkpost do not allow 'other state' vehicles to pass through, even during the day, but its just because they want some quick bucks.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:29   #244
BHPian

Quote:
But for all practical purposes, CCD at Gundlupet is perfect. It is also well stocked (Most of my experiences there have been good).
Can you please tell me what their breakfast menu would be?
Planning to reach there around 9 AM? There are elders who prefer (south) Indian dishes and then there are others who prefers something like their good Toast+Egg dish. Please elaborate on choices and your feedback on them.
Old 20th April 2011, 19:28   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Can you please tell me what their breakfast menu would be?
Planning to reach there around 9 AM? There are elders who prefer (south) Indian dishes and then there are others who prefers something like their good Toast+Egg dish. Please elaborate on choices and your feedback on them.
@Ajit,

I did not seen any "restaurant like" breakfast there. If you want a proper menu, then you will need to drive further to Pug Marks at Bandipur. (Or break on the Bangalore-Mysore section).

What they offer is the standard CCD menu. What I meant by well-stocked is that, in many CCD counters, many of their regular items on the menu itself would not be available. Here I could find most of them. Regulars includes different types of veg and non-veg sandwiches, coffee and all the usual CCD stuff.

I had read at many places that, most CCDs now offer breakfast, but somehow I did not check this at Gundlupet.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2011 at 19:43.
Old 20th April 2011, 19:34   #246
BHPian

Quote:
@Ajit,

I have not seen any "restaurant like" breakfast there. If you want a proper menu, then you will need to drive further to Pug Marks at Bandipur. (Or break on the Bangalore-Mysore section).

What they offer is the standard CCD menu. What I meant by well-stocked is that, in many CCD counters, many of their regular items on the menu itself would not be available. Here I could find most of them. Regulars includes different types of veg and non-veg sandwiches, coffee and all the usual CCD stuff.

I had read at many places that, most CCDs now offer breakfast, but somehow I did not check this at Gundlupet.
Towards Calicut via S.Bathery and so PM ruled out, unless last minute change of plan takes me through Nilambur route...

If I dont get enough info on CCD by weekend, I would break at Kamat Madhuvan just after crossing Mysore City. Usually, good in all terms but I was just thinking to cross Nanjangud before taking a break.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:04   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Well, at Bathery you have plenty of good(read:quality) hotels. Its about 50 mins from Gundelpet, and ~2 hrs from Mysore.

Buttt.. Can you stay hungry that long?
Old 20th April 2011, 22:22   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
^^ Well, at Bathery you have plenty of good(read:quality) hotels. Its about 50 mins from Gundelpet, and ~2 hrs from Mysore.

Buttt.. Can you stay hungry that long?
Thanks for your reply.

I am particularly checking the details of CCD Gundlupet only this time. Maybe, I would have stopped atleast once in every other good hotel enroute except McDonalds (near Channapatna, I guess)

Please see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-149.html (Post #2229) as well

BTW, answering your second point, Gundlupet is the limit for the following reasons:
1) Kids would be awake by then and will need to attend them atleast
2) For my drive, Gundlupet->Bathery will take around 90 minutes atleast because I stop to buy vegetables on the route from many roadside shops near the farms. Also, we drive very slowly inside forest and stop for any wildlife sighting, sometimes even for the monkeys for the sake of kids
3) You can never predict the delays in the checkpost as you enter Kerala
Old 20th April 2011, 23:28   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

ajithbr, check out the menu @ CCD - Our Cafe

CCD Gundelpet, whenever I went, they had most the items. Not sure if it would suit South Indian seniors.
Old 21st April 2011, 06:42   #250
BANNED

you can take that road. I did very recently -3 weeks back.
sometimes they may ask you to take the other route but for the most part they allow you.
its just that one has to be careful on that ghat and I would suggest it only to experienced hill drivers or people who know, respect and understand the normal hill driving practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas.mys View Post
Old 21st April 2011, 11:07   #251
BHPian

From Bangalore to Mysore towards ooty, which one is easier to drive. NH209+sh33 or SH17 ? Not hearing any good about SH17 on this forum.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:10   #252
BANNED

cant remember the road names/ highway numbers. why not put down the route instead so we can assist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
From Bangalore to Mysore towards ooty, which one is easier to drive. NH209+sh33 or SH17 ? Not hearing any good about SH17 on this forum.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:17   #253
BHPian

One via kanakpura mallaveli, or other one via mandya/srirangpatna (SH17)
Old 21st April 2011, 11:19   #254
BANNED

i use the bangalore-mysore-nanjangud-gundlupet-bandipur-mudumalai-sigur ghat- ooty road normally. never had a reason to deviate as it is probably the fastest route one can take to ooty from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
One via kanakpura mallaveli, or other one via mandya/srirangpatna (SH17)
Old 21st April 2011, 11:30   #255
BHPian

Am more concerned about route between Bangy-Mysore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks