Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 07:12   #61
BHPian

@Diabloo,

Hmmm , I own KA-09 P-XXXX and I live in Mysore!.. Your observation is interesting and might be true too ..Not sure as I am part of KA-09 Domain and only others can judge correctly.I wanted to add few points to support your observation . It's a small city and with Traffic Signals workings for 2 hours a day in the morning and 2 hours in the evenings (And there is no need for signals all through the day too ..), driving is totally manual only and adding onto this , we have Circles all through mysore where virtually manual agreement in the only way to pass through. For ex. We reach a circle and that's a 4 road junction and just we need to see the people who come from the left (Whether they are pedestrians , cyclists, bikers or more) and based on head nod , eye contact and now see the right side and do the same exercise again and that's it we pass through the circle and as all might have experienced , every 100 metres once we have circles atleast in city limit !Other interesting information might be :

1. We have a very famous Venkateswara temple in Vontikoppal (Mysore - KRS Main Road) next to a signal . It's a practice out here, people just stop abruptly in the main road itself for 2 minutes (Just in front of the temple) whether it's cycle,bike Or car , Pray and then proceed . Any localite coming behind will skip Or Stop and for new people it might be a last minute sudden brake OR Surprise !
2. Normally All " No Free left Turn" is "Free left turn" and also "No Free right turn" is "Free Right Turn" only and localites might tend to turn left or right and new people will just wait for the signal and hear horn sounds from might be KA-09 People.This depends and again based on the manual judging on the traffic but I observed almost 80% of time this holds good & as the traffic is very very minimal except the week-ends, this is not perceived as a issue and no cops will run across and demand some money for doing this.
3.Surprisingly atleast I feel ,Auto Drivers are the best in mysore as they will always yield just by seeing the rear-view mirror and no need for horn.This holds good except around centre of city (City bus stand, Palace,Devaraja urs road and ashoka Road)
4.Not sure whether this is happening in other cities BUT any signal which has a waiting time of more than 30 seconds, Local people will switch off the engine(May be this itself is perceived as a long wait)

and Really really Driving is a pleasure & fun in Mysore !!

@Minardi,

In Mysore,
You could try out "Mayura Hoysala" (Karnataka Tourism Hotel) and it's good. Prior Booking is advisable !

Pros:-
1.It's a secluded complex with ample car parking but in centre of city. (Jst 200 metres) from Mysore Jn and Rate is around 900 /Day
2. Calm & Secure enviornment Except that in week-ends it will be bit noisy !

Cons:-
1.Restaurant is Predominantly Meant for Non-veg. Veg varieties are there But non-veg varieties are too good BUT you could walk / drive to a near by veg restaurant.

In Ooty, you could try out Hotel TTDC (Tamilnadu tourism hotel) and it's really good.

Pros:-
1. Calm , Secluded , secure and located in a nice location BUT in centre of city (Charring Cross)
2. Nice / scenic View & Ample Car parking

Cons:-
1. Restaurant is poor to average as there is no much varieties BUT you could just walk 50 metres to reach charring cross where you have numerous hotels !

Hope this helps.
Old 30th March 2008, 07:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
1. Decent places to stay at Mysore and Ooty. Recommendations please? Budget is Rs. 800-1000 per day. Food choice is vegetarian and it would be good if there is some parking space available within the hotel premises.
I have personally put up in Hotel Royale Heritage and hotel Airlines. Both of them were good for a night stay. I would suggest Hotel Royale Heritage as it comes right on the Bangalore - Mysore Road and very near to Palace. Nice place to visit with kids would be the Zoo. It is the best Zoo that I have seen so far. Pls read my Ooty - Mysore travelogue for further details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ty-mysore.html

Leave bangalore very early (5AM) so that you can check in by 8AM and then go to the Zoo which will be a nice whole day affair. In the evening if you wish you can drive to KRS(Brindavan Garden) and Palace (either or both)

Now for Ooty, there are many hotels. Hotel LakeView is a nice option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
2. Places to visit, specially from children's point of view. (my 2 kids are 7 and 4 year old). I guess we can skip the museums Planning to stay 1 day at Mysore, and 2 days at Ooty. [Day 1 leave Bangalore in the morning for Mysore, spend the remaining day at Mysore. Day 2 leave Mysore in the Morning, reach Ooty by afternoon. Spend remaining time of Day 2 and whole of Day 3 there. Day 4 leave Ooty at noon to reach Madikeri by evening.
Place to visit is already mentioned above.
For madikeri stay, there is a nice resort on Siddapur road. read the travelogue below for more info:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...revisited.html

Abhi
Old 30th March 2008, 08:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post

1. Decent places to stay at Mysore and Ooty. Recommendations please? Budget is Rs. 800-1000 per day. Food choice is vegetarian and it would be good if there is some parking space available within the hotel premises.
Also check out ginger hotels in Mysore. Very close to zoo as well.

Quote:
2. Places to visit, specially from children's point of view. (my 2 kids are 7 and 4 year old).
In Mysore
- Zoo (its really good. budget a lot of time for this with kids)
- Mysore Palace
- Brindavan gardens

On the way to Ooty

- Spend a bit of time in Bandipur/Mudumalai and see if you can spot any animals.

In Ooty

- Lake (boat ride)
- Toy Train
- Botanical Gardens

Small children may not enjoy going to several viewpoints but if they do, you can check out several view points in Ooty and Conoor (you hotel will tell you more than you want to know).

Quote:
3. Will be driving an NHC CVT. Need some tips on driving this automatic on the steep inclines of Kalhatti ghats
Thanks!
Drive in lower gears so that you don't have to use brakes to control speed all the time.

I would recommend leaving a bit earlier than noon on Day 4 and take your lunch break in Mysore. Break your journey between Mysore and Madikeri in Cauvery Nisargadhama where children can enjoy climbing on to tree houses etc.
Old 30th March 2008, 09:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
While on Mysore Road thread:
On Mysore road, you will find plenty of KA-09 registration vehicles. In general KA-09 means bad driver. So expect the unexpected from them.
Like its any different here in Bangalore . Methinks Mysore is pretty well off when compared to bangalore when it comes to traffic sense. I speak from experience since I am there almost every other weekend and spend a good amount of my time loafing around the place.
Old 30th March 2008, 14:16   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I quite liked Mysore's traffic :-). At least people are more laid back and don't treat a commute like a ego battle / life-and-death issue as we Bangaloreans do!
Old 30th March 2008, 16:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Like its any different here in Bangalore . Methinks Mysore is pretty well off when compared to bangalore when it comes to traffic sense. I speak from experience since I am there almost every other weekend and spend a good amount of my time loafing around the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I quite liked Mysore's traffic :-). At least people are more laid back and don't treat a commute like a ego battle / life-and-death issue as we Bangaloreans do!
You guys would love the traffic in BOTH Bangalore and Mysore if you were to drive in Hyderabad for sometime.

Last edited by theMAG : 31st March 2008 at 14:35. Reason: Removing a quote from a deleted post
Old 30th March 2008, 18:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
You guys would love the traffic in BOTH Bangalore and Mysore if you were to drive in Hyderabad for sometime.
Why do you think we prefer staying back here ?
Old 30th March 2008, 22:49   #68
BHPian

Anyway, I guess this is not a KA -09/01/XX exclusive, it applies to whichever place you go be it a big city/small city/village or what ever kind of driver you encounter a cab driver/auto driver/bus driver...but the skill is to learn and adapt to the ways of the place/people and that is how one matures as a good driver.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th March 2008 at 23:55. Reason: Original inflammatory post deleted - its quote is no longer relevant
Old 31st March 2008, 21:56   #69
BHPian

@pmvelu, hondadude, akroy, thanks for your inputs on the hotels!

@akroy, yes I read your travelogue. very inspiring

@hondadude, I did not understand your advice of 'drive in low gears' as i was asking how to use the automatic transmission. Besides 'D for Drive', there is 'S' and i guess 'L' on the gearshift. I heard one of them (S?) is to be used for steep inclines. Is that true? Any idea what is the other (L) setting? thanks!
Old 31st March 2008, 23:07   #70
BHPian

Bangalore-Mysore-Ooty

Hi,I have planned for and weekend getaway to ooty and to be with my friend there. I have planned to start around 5pm from bangalore on friday night.Iam plannning to drive alone in my TaTa safari.I am planning to take the folowing route Bangalore-Mysore-bandhipur-theppakadu-masinagudi-ooty.Some on tell me about the route,I have done it 5years back.Is the route open in the night? i really want to travel in the night.Iam doing this trip to enjoy My Bull (safari) To Myself
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-bull5with-visor.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-bull-alloy-windowvisor.jpg  

Old 1st April 2008, 07:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Masinagudi - Ooty route is closed in the night. Suggest you to stop at Bandipur in the night and proceed to ooty early morning...that will be a nice drive.
MC Resorts is a nice resort to stop by as a budget option.

Getting rooms on Saturday night is difficult but it should not be a problem for Friday night.

Abhi
Old 1st April 2008, 12:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

I think this thread would help you out a lot. Has the latest updates on the route. Probably we should continue discussion in that thread. Mods what say??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ooty-road.html
Old 1st April 2008, 12:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

I hope all your plans materialize. BTW if you want to cross via Masinagudi you gotto be there before 6pm. Drive safe.
Old 1st April 2008, 12:53   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Masinagudi - Ooty route is closed in the night. Suggest you to stop at Bandipur in the night and proceed to ooty early morning...that will be a nice drive.
MC Resorts is a nice resort to stop by as a budget option.

Getting rooms on Saturday night is difficult but it should not be a problem for Friday night.

Abhi
HI Abhi,
Can I have MC Resorts Phone Number If have.This will be of great help to me.
srinivas.

As sugested by csenthil,Mods if this threat has to be moved,please do it to the right place.

Thanx rjstyles69
Old 1st April 2008, 13:21   #75
BANNED

This is peak season in Ooty. It will be filled like Bengaloor's Kalasipalya. If you want enjoy Ooty, The Hill Station, please travel between September to February. This is not to dampen your spirits but giving a picture of what to expect their.

Timings:
Bangalore to Bandipur - 4 hours. If you leave at 5PM, you can sure that you will be there by 9:30PM
Bandipur to Ooty - 4 hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks