Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 20:17   #946
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Did the Bangalore-Ooty trip over the long weekend. Took the Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Theppakadu - 36-hairpin bend route while going. Traffic police did not allow us back on the hairpin route, so had to take the Gudalur route on return.
Observations:
1. The route while going was quite good. The 36 hairpin bend is not a very tough drive - it was complicated by the massive traffic flow this weekend - often caused cars to pile up ahead of a bend causing you to brake and lose precious momentum. Back to first gear and grind it up slowly.
2. The route while returning was horrid. The entire stretch up to Gudalur was bad. Big pot-holes, lots of heavy traffic forcing you to get stuck behind a bus or truck for long and in general a much longer route to reach Theppakadu. So advice to anybody coming back is try the hairpin route first. It took me about 50 mins for the climb (from Theppakadu to Ooty/Charing Cross) and more than 2 hours for the descent.
3. The route got worse in the stretch between Gudalur to Theppakadu. It was filled with massive craters rather than pot-holes. All cars struggled - SUVs fared marginally better. My I20 felt like it was on a torture track for an hour.
4. The drive was largely uneventful. Saw a herd of elephants on our way back in the Bandipur stretch. It was raining torrentially by then, so could not take a proper pic. Lots of deer are easily spotted, as are wild boars.
5. The Gudalur route is more scenic, given the tea plantations and also a couple of sight-seeing spots on the way - 'shooting point', the view of the dam and river, Pykara boat-house, etc - comes at the price of an energy sapping drive.
Old 8th October 2014, 06:40   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smukherjee View Post
Did the Bangalore-Ooty trip over the long weekend. Took the Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Theppakadu - 36-hairpin bend route while going. Traffic police did not allow us back on the hairpin route, so had to take the Gudalur route on return.
As I mentioned elsewhere, one way rule is only during traffic rush days like long week end, etc. They generally allow local vehicles and Four Wheel Drive vehicles. And if you say that you have accommodation booked at Bokkapuram or nearby places at Masinagudi, you can manage your way through. Though the police manning the junction said that my sedan car would not be allowed, I persisted with my request and he allowed me to go through with a word of caution though!
Old 8th October 2014, 07:42   #948
Senior - BHPian

I could return through 36 hairpin bend road three weeks back. It was a weekday and no cops were present when I traveled at 1.30 pm.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:01   #949
Senior - BHPian

Need some help.

I am traveling this Sunday morning from Banaglore to Coonoor and want to take the Chamrajnagar route to Gundalpet.

Firstly, is this the right route? Bangalore- Kanakapura- Malavalli- Mangala- Chamrajnagar- Gundalpet.

I am staying at Lavelle Road and how do I reach the road that takes me to Kanakapura?

Any updates on the road and traffic. I plan to leave at 10AM. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:14   #950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Firstly, is this the right route? Bangalore- Kanakapura- Malavalli- Mangala- Chamrajnagar- Gundalpet.
Yes thats the right option

Quote:
I am staying at Lavelle Road and how do I reach the road that takes me to Kanakapura?
Easiest option. Hosur Road (no elevated road) -> NICE -> Kanakpura road.

Quote:
Any updates on the road and traffic. I plan to leave at 10AM. Thanks in advance.
Bangalore-Kanakpura would have traffic. Beyond that it slowly thins off.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:17   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes thats the right option

Easiest option. Hosur Road (no elevated road) -> NICE -> Kanakpura road.

Bangalore-Kanakpura would have traffic. Beyond that it slowly thins off.
Thanks a lot. The previous pages read Kollegal instead of Mangala.

Is the entire stretch black topped to Gundlupet? Last few pages I read the condition is not that great.

Benny
Old 15th October 2014, 12:31   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. The previous pages read Kollegal instead of Mangala.

Is the entire stretch black topped to Gundlupet? Last few pages I read the condition is not that great.

Benny
It is indeed Kollegala. Perhaps a rare typo from Ampere. The road is little roguhed up b/w Chamarajanagara and Gundlupete that too in patches, but rest is reported fine. The choice is going thru a very busy Bangalore-Mysore highway (with innumerable speed bumps, crowded towns but with lot of option for eateries) or on a serene country side 2-lane road (but with almost no eateries).

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:36   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
It is indeed Kollegala. Perhaps a rare typo from Ampere. The road is little roguhed up b/w Chamarajanagara and Gundlupete that too in patches, but rest is reported fine. The choice is going thru a very busy Bangalore-Mysore highway (with innumerable speed bumps, crowded towns but with lot of option for eateries) or on a serene country side 2-lane road (but with almost no eateries).

Prasad
Thanks a lot. Is there any route that I can take from Mysore road? Google map shows a left from Ramnagar.
I am staying in city and its easier for me to hit Mysore Road than Hosur Road.
Old 15th October 2014, 12:44   #954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Is there any route that I can take from Mysore road? Google map shows a left from Ramnagar.
You can join NH 209 from all major towns on Mysore road including Ramnagar. However by doing that you will end up loosing major advantage of NH 209 (no speed breakers and lesser traffic).

My suggestion would be to join Kanakpura road either by taking Silk board - Hosur road - NICE road OR by taking Banasankari - Kanakpura road route.

To answer your question in earlier post, yes roads between Chamarajnagar and Gundulpet are bit patchy. However nothing to worry much.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:44   #955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not worth it I would. You would spend more time reaching Ramnagar itself ! Kanakpura would be much faster. In case you still want to know about it, then its the Maddur-Malavalli road. But its quite bumpy.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:53   #956
BHPian

Quote:
I really do not recommend these roads as they are used mainly by locals and not used to fast cars (there'd be lot of unauthorized humps, cattles, slow moving tractors and a ton of two wheelers all competing for 1/1.5lane roads). The relatively better option is Bangalore-Madduru-Malavalli-Kollegala-Gundlupete, with a not so good stretech of Madduru-Malavalli (about 20kms). But if you've gone all the way upto Madduru, might as well continue to Mysore.

Also, instead of taking Hosur road and then NICE to get on to kanakapura road, pl. consider the following options:
1. Lavelle Road - Mysore Road - Enter NICE near PESIT - Exit to Kanakapura Road
2. Lavelle Road - Banashankari - Kanakapura Road
(bottleneck at Banashankari busstand)

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 14:16   #957
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any route that I can take from Mysore road? Google map shows a left from Ramnagar.
Take NICE road from Mysore Road (or the nearest entry from where you stay) to Kanakapura exit. From there route is Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegala-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet.

Last edited by NPV : 15th October 2014 at 14:18.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 16:58   #958
BHPian

Quote:
...I am staying at Lavelle Road and how do I reach the road that takes me to Kanakapura?
Eventually which route did you take ?

Prasad's route no. 2 is the one I take - shortest and direct.

Am on Lavelle Road too; hence the query
Old 29th October 2014, 18:02   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning on a cold holiday in ooty in Saturday Dec 27- to Tuesday 30 Dec. Two cars 6 adults one toddler. Now since Bangalore Mysore road has heavy traffic on weekends planning Kanakapura - Mallavali - Mangala - Gundulpet - 36 hairpin - Ooty.
Has anyone done this route recently? If so how long can we expect the drive to take? (Google mentions 300 kms 7 hrs) And as mentioned in above posts besides the Mangala and Chamrajnagar stretch, any other bad roads in between?

PS We are starting from Shantiniketan at 6 am.
Old 29th October 2014, 18:51   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
And as mentioned in above posts besides the Mangala and Chamrajnagar stretch, any other bad roads in between?
PS We are starting from Shantiniketan at 6 am.
I guess you are mentioning about Prestige Shantiniketan.

Road conditions as per my friend who traveled last week in this route is good apart from those mentioned by you above.

KR Puram - NICE road (Hosur road) - 30 mins
NICE road Hosur road entry - Kanakpura road exit - 30 mins
Kanakpura road exit - Gundulpet - 03.30 Hours
Gundulpet - Masinagudi - 1.15 mins
Masinagudi - Ooty - 1.30 mins
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks