Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 19:30   #976
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
whats the best route from ooty to Mysore Infosys campus? Road conditions? I will be riding. I will be doing the 36/36. Please give directions, feed back post bandipur. Thanks in advance.
Others already answered your querry. Thanks!

Quote:
That's nuts! Once you enter RF area, it is the forest dept. Cops have no say. why should someone do kotagiri mettu if they are heading to bangalore? 36/36 has window between 6 am to 6pm. Please specify the time of your travel.
I don't know if you are aware of that route.

There is nothing like forest vs police. This is a very steep, narrow and scary (at least to some) hairpin road which definitely can not take a two way traffic especially during rush hours. Cops divert traffic via Gudalur which is wide enough to take two way traffic.

I suggested other route as the Ooty-Gudalur section is patchy.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 19:47   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how long it would take to travel during daylight? ie, 6am to 6pm ?
It will take around 1.5 hour from Gundulpet. However during peak time there will be heavy traffic as you near Mysore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
As you approach Mysore from Nanjangud side, ask for Hunsur road-Ilvala road junction - You'll be turning left at some point to start towards this. There is a Shell bunk on Hunsur road. From there on, anyone can guide you to Infosys campus.
This route which Prashkul mentioned is the best. However the reason I mentioned passing the city and taking left was since it may be easier to ask for direction towards Bangalore.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:25   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They can arrest, lock one up, They do have their own cells.
Understood, but for what offences? Is it as per IPC, State laws, Police acts, MV Act or is it just the Forest related acts? Forest officials actively prosecute poachers etc., for offences in Forest & Environment acts etc. Sandalwood smuggling is another area which they generally take actions.

Quote:
In extreme cases they can even shoot.
Again, that is for people evading the law; in which they (the forest dept.) have powers for arrest, or their lives are threatened.

Quote:
They have nothing to do with the police, they interact with the magistrate, district collector or the SP.
SP himself is a police officer. The magistrates etc. are part of the judiciary and naturally they would try the cases which violate forest specific laws, which would be charge-sheeted by the police.

The police is one agency which has wide-sweeping rights when it comes to enforcing laws. A police sub-inspector is legally authorised to investigate offences declared in 30+ acts/laws in India. That is why we see them as a crucial piece in the Indian policing system (and the movies also glorifying them).

Note to self: This is some thing which I should check the internet for, if I find some time tomorrow .
Old 1st December 2014, 21:50   #979

Bangalore - Ooty - which is the best route for quality of road

Hi

I will be driving down and back Bangalore to Ooty 24th-29th Dec 2014.

which is a best route for quality of road. I have a 8 year old Aveo with 4 pax and luggage - so no heroics, neither the car nor my back will take it.

I am OK with extra road and extra traffic and slower drive but road quality is primary concern

thanks
Sanjay
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:33   #980
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Ooty - which is the best route for quality of road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminni View Post
I will be driving down and back Bangalore to Ooty 24th-29th Dec 2014.

which is a best route for quality of road. I have a 8 year old Aveo with 4 pax and luggage - so no heroics, neither the car nor my back will take it.

I am OK with extra road and extra traffic and slower drive but road quality is primary concern
24 Dec will most likely have significant tourist traffic going out of Bangalore, so needless to say start early and take Mysore Road, yes there are speed bumps all the way but start between 4-4.30am and you should be fine.
So, Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppakadu-turn left towards Masinagudi and take the 36 hair pin bend route to Ooty, road conditions are good.

If you take Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty expect bad sections, better to avoid.
On the return you can consider coming back on Ooty-Mettupalayam-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore, 4 lane all the way from Avinashi.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:42   #981
Senior - BHPian

Gents, so can I assume that travel via the Kanakapura->Malavalli->Kollegala->Chamarajanagar is out of the question for some time? Because that narrow bridge is now closed down for maintenance/reconstruction?

Sorry, if this point has been already answered. But I wanted to double check. So for the Kozhikode, Wayanad bound traveller the speed-breaker filled Mysore state highway is the only choice??

PS: This is when starting from Bangalore city.
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:01   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Gents, so can I assume that travel via the Kanakapura->Malavalli->Kollegala->Chamarajanagar is out of the question for some time? Because that narrow bridge is now closed down for maintenance/reconstruction?

Sorry, if this point has been already answered. But I wanted to double check. So for the Kozhikode, Wayanad bound traveller the speed-breaker filled Mysore state highway is the only choice??

PS: This is when starting from Bangalore city.
This bridge was closed to heavy vehicles since a long time. They were diverted through Talakad which makes the distance approx 20 kms longer.
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:11   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This bridge was closed to heavy vehicles since a long time. They were diverted through Talakad which makes the distance approx 20 kms longer.
And now they have been closed for smaller (or light) vehicles as well?
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:33   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
whats the best route from ooty to Mysore Infosys campus? Road conditions? I will be riding. I will be doing the 36/36. Please give directions, feed back post bandipur. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
As you approach Mysore from Nanjangud side, ask for Hunsur road-Ilvala road junction - You'll be turning left at some point to start towards this. There is a Shell bunk on Hunsur road. From there on, anyone can guide you to Infosys campus. The Ring road has a gradient in this stretch - you'll have Vijayanagar on your right and Infosys campus dome visible on your left. Road is perfectly fine.
This is the Mysore Ring Road. Look out for signboards showing direction (to the left) to Hunsur/Madikeri or even Bangalore. Once you reach Hunsur road junction (at Hinkal), continue straight for approx 1.5 kms and turn left into the Industrial area. From here anyone can guide you to the Infosys campus.

@Prashkul, you will not find the Shell bunk on this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
This route which Prashkul mentioned is the best. However the reason I mentioned passing the city and taking left was since it may be easier to ask for direction towards Bangalore.
@YaeJay, if you reach the city around lunch time, you can take the city route and enter Hunsur road from the city directly. Mysore is an easy city to pass by and you will have no issues whatsoever. You can ask for Hunsur road. Going all the way to Bangalore road and turning left at Columbia Asia is almost the same distance, but not worth it as you will pass through city traffic anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
And now they have been closed for smaller (or light) vehicles as well?
That is what I heard in another forum but I'm not sure about it.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 2nd December 2014 at 12:34. Reason: added not
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:10   #985

Thanks NPV

Just a few questions - please help.

Google maps shows distance
BLR-Mysore-36 Hairpin as - 273km and
BLR-Salem-ooty as 418km
is that correct as the difference is significant?
Can I come back via Mysore route?

regards
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:30   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV

Just a few questions - please help.

Google maps shows distance
BLR-Mysore-36 Hairpin as - 273km and
BLR-Salem-ooty as 418km
is that correct as the difference is significant?
Can I come back via Mysore route?

regards
The distances mentioned by google is correct. The Masinagudi route is very short as the 36 hair pin climb is very steep and you climb to Ooty in a few KM. The gudalur/Mettupalayam ghats are more normal.

Typically, especially during peak times, police prevent you from descending via the 36 hair pin route and force you towards the Gudalur route. So you may be forced to return via Gudalur. I think that is around 50KM longer and the road condition is bad.

The Mettupalayam route suggestion by NPV is due to your preference for smooth roads. Since you get a 4 lane all the way from Avinashi, time wise you should not take much longer than then Gudalur Route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 15:43   #987

Thanks Rajeevraj

Is the 36 Hairpin doable in a 7 year old Aveo (as you've mentioned that it's steep) and is it good / safe ?

Regards.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:00   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the 36 Hairpin doable in a 7 year old Aveo (as you've mentioned that it's steep) and is it good / safe ?
Very much doable. I have done this in 5 year old Alto with 4 people. As with any steep curved road, take it slow. Be careful of moronic jeep drivers around Masinagudi ( before the ghats start).

And if you are taking this same route down, do use engine breaking. There are many reports including a TBHPian who had lost control while taking this road down due to overheated brakes.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:28   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajeevraj

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

And if you are taking this same route down, do use engine breaking. There are many reports including a TBHPian who had lost control while taking this road down due to overheated brakes.
Very much doable.I have done this full boot in my 42GPW and 1990 Isuzu Trooper.As Suhas suggested, use engine breaking and this should be very easy.I did this 36 Hairpin bends couple of times just for fun. (during my trips to Masinagudi.).

Waseem.....
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:58   #990
BHPian

I can personally vouch for loosing control on this route while coming down this 36 pin hairpin. It was a highly unplanned trip on behest of my better half. So I did not had a chance to service the car before the trip. I was coming back from Ooty after the extended weekend in my City ZX. It was morning time around 8.30. I was not careful while coming down and kept driving in a spirited manner and was controlling the car with breaks ( my bad luck was coupled with worn out break pads which came to the picture later) . I had a sudden break failure at 27th Hairpin Bend and banged a brand new Honda city (2014) which was waiting on the climb down for taking a turn (behind an over sized truck) from behind at around 20-30 km/h. The result was a catastrophic to say the least. Luckily no one got hurt in any of the cars ( courtesy Seat Belts) but the front of my City ZX was completely damaged. The rear of the 2014 city was completely damaged with windscreen smashed, boot completely inside passenger seats (luckily no one was sitting on it's passenger seat at the time of collision) and the front of the car climbed a big rock nearby. In comparison, ZX had lesser damage (windscreen intact, etc.) relatively but still costed me a bomb of one lakh rupees as I only had 3rd party insurance for a 9 year old car. The only fact which got vindicated was that NHC has a better build quality than the 2014 City model. The gravity of the situation sunk on me when I realized that if the other car was not their in my way after the break failure , I would have ended in the deep valley just after the collision site. With no Honda service center in Ooty and a pathetic Honda road side assistance available at the site, it took 9 hours for towing away service to arrive at the scene from Mysore where I ordered them to take me and the car directly to Bangalore to avoid hassles later during repairs. I came home at around 4 am next day. It was one such bad day. Another thing which saved me and family ( wife+ infant, on the passenger seat) was the seat belt. By god's grace no scratches either on our side and neither on the other party with similar set of passengers due to seat belts.
It took me 3 months to touch the highway again but as they say " LIVE TO DRIVE ".
One big learning, always service the car before leaving for any kind of trip and especially check breaks and all life savers. This will remain an experience which I don't want anyone to go through again. The other guy got 3.5 lakh rupees damage bill from Whitefield Honda but since it was brand new car, the insurance guys couldn't play any tricks and paid almost the whole amount. I cleared the rest of the bills on his side for saving my life in an indirect way. The repair story remains to be told some other time.

Most Viewed