Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 18:08   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikBN View Post

1. Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty-Ooty.

2. NICE Road-Mysore-Nanjanagudu-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty-Ooty

I am planning to leave by 5:45/6:00AM.

On my return have to visit a few of my relatives in Mysore, Aniketana Road. So I am guessing I dont have much a choice than

1. Pykara-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Mysore-Channapatna-NICE road

2. (If I'm lucky) Kalhatty-Masinagudi-Gundlupet-Mysore-Channapatna-NICE road.

So pretty much going thro the 36 Hair-pin or the worse road Gudalur are my only options is it? I am planning to leave Ooty by 12:00 noon. Anybody travelled these roads very recently please help me plan my roadmap
Did Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty-Ooty a month ago on a bike. Barring some road work in Gundlupet, rest of the road was pretty much good. Minor potholes between C'nagar and Gundlupet but nothing to worry about. However the numerous and humongous speed breakers in the Bandipur forest could cause your city to scrape her underside.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 18:48   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Did Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty-Ooty a month ago on a bike. Barring some road work in Gundlupet, rest of the road was pretty much good. Minor potholes between C'nagar and Gundlupet but nothing to worry about. However the numerous and humongous speed breakers in the Bandipur forest could cause your city to scrape her underside.
Thanks Goandude! I'll be lil careful while doing that stretch. Damn, wonder when the Government will bring in some discipline in laying scientific speed breakers, Sigh!
Old 7th March 2016, 19:15   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Goandude! I'll be lil careful while doing that stretch. Damn, wonder when the Government will bring in some discipline in laying scientific speed breakers, Sigh!
The stretch of road under discussion is a part of the Reserve Forest. Countless wild animals have been killed by irresponsible and speeding vehicles.

Those humps will not go anywhere and that is a good thing.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:32   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The stretch of road under discussion is a part of the Reserve Forest. Countless wild animals have been killed by irresponsible and speeding vehicles.

Those humps will not go anywhere and that is a good thing.
I definitely like the Speed breakers. Infact, if only we could follow the signboards and adhere to the speedlimit we wouldnt have SpeedBreakers. And I love driving slowly in the forest range and responsibly! Was only referring to the unscientific speed breakers laid.
Old 7th March 2016, 20:40   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Ooty round trip last day.

while going, went via Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Theppekadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty ghats-Ooty. The resort I stayed was around 4km before Thalaikundah checkpost (around 12 kms before Ooty).
Road condition is excellent now between Theppekadu and Thalaikundah via Kalhatty ghats. The Theppekadu-starting of ghat section seems to be freshly asphalted.

While returning, came via Pykara-Gudalur-Theppekadu-Gundlupet-Chamrajnagar-Kollegala-Malavalli-Kanakapura
Road condition is again good, except for a few rough patches between Gundlupet and Chamrajnagar. The Ooty-Pykara-Gudalur stretch has excellent tarmac now. The Mudumalai forest stretch between Gudalur and Theppekadu also is now completely asphalted.
All in all, both routes are pretty much good except the Work in progress stretch between Mysore and Nanjangud.

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

1. Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty-Ooty.

2. NICE Road-Mysore-Nanjanagudu-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty-Ooty

1. Pykara-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Mysore-Channapatna-NICE road

2. (If I'm lucky) Kalhatty-Masinagudi-Gundlupet-Mysore-Channapatna-NICE road.

It'll just be my wife and me, I drive a City V AT 2011! I am a little concerned about the huge craters/potholes as you'll know how low the city is. But its just 2 of us with little luggage in the boot. So if the Gudalur road is OK for my car and I dont get lucky to come through the Kalhatty road!
Thanks in advance!
You can very well plan for the Pykara-Gudalur route for return journey if they don't allow you downhill via Kalhatty. Excellent surface now and is easily much more scenic than the Kalhatty route. I started from Ooty at 12.15 PM on sunday. Traffic was being allowed downhill at Thalaikundah when I reached there, but chose to descent via Gudalur just to enjoy the scenery.
sandsun7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 12:39   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that the Kalhatty ghat is made as one way and vehicles are allowed to go up the hill and not other way around? Any inputs?
Old 14th March 2016, 13:11   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Is it true that the Kalhatty ghat is made as one way and vehicles are allowed to go up the hill and not other way around? Any inputs?
Nothing like that was in place in the first week of march when I did Bangalore-Ooty. Although I did not take the Kalhatty road while returning, I did see vehicles going towards Kalhatty at Thalaikundah. There was no blockade/police presence either.
I have heard that they usually they implement this one way scheme only on long weekends when the traffic is higher than usual.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 13:13   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Not that I know of! Last week a close friend of mine went to Ooty and Coonor, she said traffic was being allowed on the Kalhatty route both ways. However, she travelled between Monday-Wednesday, so based on the reviews and the trend I believe only when there is high traffic from Ooty or weekends they tend to allow the return traffic from Ooty on the Pykara-Gudalur route!
Old 14th March 2016, 14:40   #1374
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During long weekends/holidays cops usually don't allow downhill traffic near the RTO junction in Ooty and instead ask people to take the gudalur route. I've seen people telling the cops that they're going to a resort in Masinagudi and then being allowed.
Old 14th March 2016, 19:51   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
During long weekends/holidays cops usually don't allow downhill traffic near the RTO junction in Ooty and instead ask people to take the gudalur route. I've seen people telling the cops that they're going to a resort in Masinagudi and then being allowed.

It needs a lot of cajoling and putting forth your case like having a booking at Masinagudi, etc. The onward from Ooty to Masinagudi is not allowed on this route during weekends with the exception of SUVs and locally registered vehicles as most of vehicles driven by not so experienced drivers break down mid way. This is what was told to me by one of the cops manning the check post there. In fact, on one such occasion while taking this route to Masinagudi, the forest check post official on the way to Kalahatty waterfalls requested me to pass on his phone number to one of such inexperienced drivers as he correctly predicted its break down mid way.
Old 24th March 2016, 07:54   #1376
BHPian

What's the best route to get to Kotagiri from Bangalore? Google maps is showing NH7, via Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri as faster compared to NH209 route. But distance is about 75Km more!

How is the road condition from Mettupalayam to Kotagiri?

Instead should I take the normal Ooty route via Mysore - Gundulpet - Theppekadu - Ooty - Kotagiri?
Old 24th March 2016, 09:08   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
What's the best route to get to Kotagiri from Bangalore? Google maps is showing NH7, via Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri as faster compared to NH209 route. But distance is about 75Km more!

Instead should I take the normal Ooty route via Mysore - Gundulpet - Theppekadu - Ooty - Kotagiri?
The roads thru Salem-Avanashi - Annur - Mettupalayam and Kotagiri s certainly the faster route. Mettupalayam to Kotagiri route is decent enough and not to worry.

If you were to take the Mysore-Gundulpet-Ooty route, you will end updriving for longer hours, though shorter. Crossing Ooty, and getting down towards the Coonoor road to go to Kotagiri will be a bit of a pain. Especially, if its over the weekend, you can expect heavy traffic jams thru the Ooty route, whereas the Mettupalyam-Kotagiri will be slightly lighter.
Old 24th March 2016, 09:30   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The roads thru Salem-Avanashi - Annur - Mettupalayam and Kotagiri s certainly the faster route. Mettupalayam to Kotagiri route is decent enough and not to worry.
Thanks a lot. Would you recommend the Ooty route for return journey? Just thinking what I will be missing... Saw some good comments about the scenic Gundlepet - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty stretch.
Old 24th March 2016, 10:07   #1379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post

Condition is pristine and a lovely drive. Below are a couple of snaps from October end 2015. I doubt if it would have changed.

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-dsc_2170.jpg

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-dsc_2175.jpg

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-dsc_2176.jpg

Old 24th March 2016, 10:08   #1380
Senior - BHPian

If you have time on your hands, yes, i would say that you take the Ooty route back. The scenery is certainly good. If you love Sandwiches/Pizza and stuff, you can also do a quick pit stop for lunch at SideWood Cafe at Ooty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks