Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2016, 04:50   #1426

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
NPV said it all !
Its the quickest way to reach Ooty. You got to go through this experience as well at least once. Once you do this, all other hair pin bend driving will be nothing. To answer your original question, Theni-Munnar has long hill drive for several kms/long distance, but not as steep as Masinagudi. In Masinagudi route, in no time you will finish 36 hair pin bends, as the distance/kms is less.
However, if you are not confident or not interested to give it a try, don't do it. As NPV said, the choice is yours!

You have XUV. I would recommend you to go for it ! Roll your windows down, enjoy the scenery (and any wildlife if you are lucky).

-Ravi
And it is a well monitored route with a brake check point half the way. With an XUV, this shouldn't be a route to ponder over, rather the perfect route to take. Drive safe and avoid playing loud music in this route.
shefeeqyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 15:34   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I am visiting Kotagiri (25km from Ooty) next month, planning to take Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mettupalayam-kotagiri route.

I know that this route is about 80km longer compared to Mysore-Ooty, but it offers more 4 lane driving and I will avoid ORR like traffic between Bangalore & Mysore.
Anyone done this before, please share your inputs. Thanks!
Went to Kotagiri 2 weeks ago. I took the Mettupalayam route on my way back from Kotagiri. As you said, though this route is longer than the Mysore - Ooty - Kotagiri route, the time taken is more or less the same.

Also it is less tiring.
MorePower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 21:43   #1428
BHPian

Just back from a weekend trip to Ooty from Bangalore. Couple of updates :
1. Mysore ORR now connects Nanjanagud road. ORR is 4 lane end to end.
2. Kallhatti ghat has a fresh layer of tramac. Smooth roads with clear markings all the way.

I took Kalhatti ghat both ways.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 22:22   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
I took Kalhatti ghat both ways.
Did you drive back via Nanjangud - Mysore - Bangalore? How long did you take?
I came back via Gudalur - Gundlepete - Chamrajnagar - Kanakpura and the drive back took almost 8 hours thanks to the weekend traffic all through. Ooty - Gudalur is a beautiful drive with great roads and we also stopped at pykara lake for a quick spin in the boat

Note: Sasthapuri hotel at Gudalur has ample parking and clean rest-rooms. Food is not bad and they have separate veg & non veg restaurants. A decent option for quick a pit-stop.

Last edited by procrj : 24th April 2016 at 22:25.
Old 24th April 2016, 22:27   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Did you drive back via Nanjangud - Mysore - Bangalore? How long did you take?
I came back via Gudalur - Gundlepete - Chamrajnagar - Kanakpura and the drive back took almost 8 hours thanks to the weekend traffic all through. Ooty - Gudalur is a beautiful drive with great roads and we also stopped at pykara lake for a quick spin in the boat .
Yes. I took Ooty - Masinagudi - Gundlupet - Nanjanagud - Mysore - Bangalore.
Initially thought of returning via Gudalur, but saw that there was no police man to stop downward traffic in Kalhatti ghat and took that road.
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:18   #1431
BHPian

I am driving to Ooty next Sunday (8th May) from Bangalore.
I will be driving in an Octavia 1.8TSI. What would be the recommended route to and fro? Octavia ground clearance is more or less adequate for Bangalore speed breakers most of the times.

Thanks in advance, MB
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:11   #1432
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I will be driving in an Octavia 1.8TSI. What would be the recommended route to and fro? Octavia ground clearance is more or less adequate for Bangalore speed breakers most of the times.
You can take one of these:
Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet
*Bangalore-Mysore is best taken early morning, say 5am but this means most eateries are not open so negates the choice in a way, plus there is road widening work in progress between Mysore and Nanjangud, mangeable when you start early from Bangalore

OR
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet
*Your best option for a break is at Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajanagar. The place also has clean restrooms

From Gundlupet you can take:
Mudumalai-Masinagudi-Ooty
*The 36 hairpin bend route via Masinagudi, scenic and ghat road is in good condition, quickest way to reach Ooty. This route is sometimes not an option in the return direction as cops may not allow, especially during holidays and heavy traffic days

OR
Mudumalai-Gudalur-Ooty
*Road condition is good, recently the bad sections have been patched up
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 21:57   #1433
BHPian

Friends. Thanks for all your advice. Had a great trip to Ooty. Left on Apr 29th morning at 5:30 am from BTM layout. Breakfast at Maddur Tiffanys. Was too early, so very few items were available for breakfast at Tiffanys. Took the Masinagudi route to Ooty and reached at 1:00 PM, after one more coffee break near Gundlupet. The 36 hairpin bend route was fun to drive.

Took the Gudalur route on the way back on Sunday. Left Ooty t 11:30 AM. Made several stops on the way, Pine forest, Kamaraj Sagar dam etc.. Dinner at Maddur at 8:00 PM. The horror started after that. Left Maddur 8:40 pm after Dinner. Traffic was bumper to bumper from Channapatna. Reached BTM layout at 11:40 PM.
iamnarayang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 22:12   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Friends. Thanks for all your advice. Had a great trip to Ooty. Left on Apr 29th morning at 5:30 am from BTM layout. Breakfast at Maddur Tiffanys. Was too early, so very few items were available for breakfast at Tiffanys. Took the Masinagudi route to Ooty and reached at 1:00 PM, after one more coffee break near Gundlupet. The 36 hairpin bend route was fun to drive.

Took the Gudalur route on the way back on Sunday. Left Ooty t 11:30 AM. Made several stops on the way, Pine forest, Kamaraj Sagar dam etc.. Dinner at Maddur at 8:00 PM. The horror started after that. Left Maddur 8:40 pm after Dinner. Traffic was bumper to bumper from Channapatna. Reached BTM layout at 11:40 PM.
Glad to know you had good experience now with those famous 36 hair pin bends

BTW, how was the weather in Ooty?
Old 4th May 2016, 22:19   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Glad to know you had good experience now with those famous 36 hair pin bends

BTW, how was the weather in Ooty?
Day time was having intense heat. After sunset it was pleasant and cold in the night.
Old 6th May 2016, 20:15   #1436
BHPian

Any idea of the current state of the road to Ooty? I was told that there is some road widening happening on this route. Any inputs is highly appreciated. I am planning to travel next weekend.
Old 6th May 2016, 20:51   #1437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
Any idea of the current state of the road to Ooty.
I guess you are mentioning about Mysore - Gundlupet road work. It's almost done now, apart from couple of smaller sections no issues.
Old 6th May 2016, 21:49   #1438
BHPian

Anyone who has recently visited ooty can please update if it is a good time to visit . I got to know there is too much of crowd in the month of May. Will coorg be a good option then.
Old 6th May 2016, 22:23   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Anyone who has recently visited ooty can please update if it is a good time to visit . I got to know there is too much of crowd in the month of May. Will coorg be a good option then.
I was in Ooty last week. Day time temperature is high. Nights are very pleasant. Not very crowded. Ooty is clean, compared to Bangalore. Will certainly recommend.
Old 7th May 2016, 08:01   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Both options will be crowded on weekends. If possible travel during weekdays.
Daytime temperature will be around 35 in both places. Ooty will be cooler in the nights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks