Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2009, 09:13   #106
BHPian

@hellstar & @lloydofcochin: Thanks for the update.

I am still in process to understand different routes to ooty. Just a small question - Is Segur ghat comes in kalahatty route?
Truly speaking, I am bit confused now, what I understand, there are 3 routes to Ooty -
1. B'lore - Mysore - Gundalpet - Bandipur - Masinagudi - Ooty
2. B'lore - Mysore - Chamrajnagar - Kotigiri - Ooty
3. B'lore - Krishnagiri - Dharampuri - Salem - Coonnor - Ooty

Please correct me If I am wrong, also which route is safe and best to travel irrespective of distance?

My plan is to start at 4:30AM on 14Aug to reach by max 1 PM to ooty. Please advise?

Last edited by vinay.pillai : 6th August 2009 at 09:16.
Old 6th August 2009, 09:15   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
@hellstar & @lloydofcochin: Thanks for the update. I am still in process to understand different routes to ooty. Just a small question - Is Segur ghat comes in kalahatty route?
Truly speaking, I am bit confused now, what I understand, there are 3 routes to Ooty -

Please correct me If I am wrong, also which route is safe and best to travel irrespective of distance?
The Sigur ghats are commonly known as the Kalhatty route.

The easiest and shortest route is your point 1.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:35   #108
BHPian

Quote:
My plan is to start at 4:30AM on 14Aug to reach by max 1 PM to ooty. Please advise?
It should take anywhere between 5.5 hours (fast) to 7 hours (average) to reach ooty, using route # 1.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:46   #109
BHPian

Thanks Beejay & pkumar for the information. Will be looking forward to travel through Route #1
Old 6th August 2009, 16:34   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hellstar & @lloydofcochin: Thanks for the update.

I am still in process to understand different routes to ooty. Just a small question - Is Segur ghat comes in kalahatty route?

Vinay - You have missed the most widely used route to Ooty which is Mysore - Gundalpet - Bandipur - Gudallur - Ooty route. For Masanagudi route you take a deviation at Theppakadu and for Gudallur you need to go straight. It is good to take Masinagudi route while climbing (open till 7 PM if I rememeber correctly, this is the shortest route but a steap climb with 36 hairpins and very less traffic) and come back via Gudallur which is longer but very scenic route (on long weekends there is restriction for downhill traffic through Masanagudi road). Both the roads are in good shape as per update from Team BHP threads

There are lot many threads here with Oooty route info, search if you need more info

BTW, I am also traveling to Ooty on 14th morning, plan is to start by 6 from Bangalore - Uphill via Masangudi and return via Gudallur.

One more info - Both the roads are closed (bandipur stretch) for traffic after 9 PM from yesterday, there are lot of talks going around this and situation may change, so keep a tab

Last edited by gadadhar : 6th August 2009 at 16:38.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:52   #111
BHPian

@gadadhar: Thanks for the info. I have gone through so many threads of Ooty that I got confused.
Infact my first plan was to visit Pepper Green Resort(suggested by you in your thread) but it is running full starting Aug 15. If you don't mind sharing, where are you planning to stay in Ooty. I have checked 2/3 hotel + resort but nothing is confirmed yet. But will finalize one by tonight.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:58   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@gadadhar: Thanks for the info. I have gone through so many threads of Ooty that I got confused.
Infact my first plan was to visit Pepper Green Resort(suggested by you in your thread) but it is running full starting Aug 15. If you don't mind sharing, where are you planning to stay in Ooty. I have checked 2/3 hotel + resort but nothing is confirmed yet. But will finalize one by tonight.
Vinay- I have booked in Savoy, but is full I guess.. Try Sagar resorts Sagar Holiday resorts: Ooty resort stay, south India , had stayed there earlier, excellent view, good rooms (more like a cottage), Food and service is ok..
Old 6th August 2009, 18:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

You can also try Sterling Resorts in Ooty, they have two resorts, one at Elk Hill and the other at Fern Hill, pretty decent accomodation and service.
Old 6th August 2009, 18:25   #114
BHPian

Thanks gadadhar and kannan666 but all are booked for the same date. I have confirmation for one room in Kluney Manor but I need 2 rooms.
Old 6th August 2009, 18:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Uh Oh ! Did you also check Holiday Inn Gem Plaza or is that way too above budget ? Also check this out if you havent still - Hills Country Holiday Resort

Last edited by kannan666 : 6th August 2009 at 18:32.
Old 6th August 2009, 18:36   #116
Senior - BHPian

Try the places mentioned in this link :: Littlearth :: . Destiny was full when I enquired, but Red Hill had space. Please send me a PM once you have confirmed, we can try to meet-up during the drive. Also there are some good homestays around coonoor (can serach in Team BHP for some references)

Last edited by gadadhar : 6th August 2009 at 18:38.
Old 6th August 2009, 18:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Uh Oh ! Did you also check Holiday Inn Gem Plaza or is that way too above budget ? Also check this out if you havent still - Hills Country Holiday Resort
Both are running full for the date :(. Looks like ooty is going to be full on Aug 15th weekend
Old 6th August 2009, 20:50   #118
Senior - BHPian

jfyi,fortune sullivan court is an excellent place to stay as well.its th best by any stretch of imagination.however its slightly on the higher side.
Old 6th August 2009, 21:33   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are running full for the date :(. Looks like ooty is going to be full on Aug 15th weekend
being a long weekend it is bound to be , better look for accommodation at Coonoor or Masinagudi or Mudumalai.
Old 7th August 2009, 00:00   #120
BHPian

Thanks for the all information friends, My friend who was planning to accompany me is not coming now. So will be travelling with my wife. And luckily I got confirmation from Hotel Savoy just now. I was in waiting list there. Even I have booked the Train tkt for Ooty - Coonor and back on 14 afternoon. So just hope that everything goes fine. Till now, everything will be surprise for my wife, she is not aware of train journey etc.

@gadadhar: So now I am in same hotel as yours. So we can plan to travel together if you are fine and no other plans.

Last edited by vinay.pillai : 7th August 2009 at 00:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks