Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2016, 11:29   #1516
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar is good but 2 laned undivided road. Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet has a few rough sections so be careful if driving a low GC car.
I am driving to Ooty tomorrow morning with a 5AM start and my starting point would be somewhere around Whitefield. Plan is to take the route mentioned by you i.e. Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-CR Nagar-Gundlupete-Ooty.

Now couple of questions:
1) What would be the ideal and faster route to reach the Kanakapura exit on NICE road, from Whitefield, for an early morning start?
By default google map shows the ORR-Silk board junction-EC flyover-NICE road. Second option is to continue on ORR, after Silk board and take left to Kanakapurs road, somewhere in JP Nagar(?) and then join the NICE junction.

2) You have mentioned about few rough sections on this stretch beyond CRNagar. Will it be difficult to manage with Honda City i-dtec?
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:48   #1517
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Now couple of questions:
1) What would be the ideal and faster route to reach the Kanakapura exit on NICE road, from Whitefield, for an early morning start?
By default google map shows the ORR-Silk board junction-EC flyover-NICE road. Second option is to continue on ORR, after Silk board and take left to Kanakapurs road, somewhere in JP Nagar(?) and then join the NICE junction.

2) You have mentioned about few rough sections on this stretch beyond CRNagar. Will it be difficult to manage with Honda City i-dtec?
-Take ORR-Silk board junction-stay on lower section of Hosur Road-NICE road-Kanakapura Road exit, should be faster than going all the way on ORR since beyond Silk Board, ORR is narrow and that side of Kanakapura road has Metro rail construction, etc and is quite narrow, avoid by taking NICE Road as it will get you to somewhere near Thalaghattapura beyond the narrow and messy sections of Kanakapura Road

-Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet - take the rough sections slow and easy and you should be able to traverse it with the Honda City
Breakfast stop could be Nijaguna Resorts at Chamarajanagar or Nijaguna restaurant or De Shell (Misty Rock hotel campus) at Gundlupet.
*Key is to start early, no later than 5am - drive safe and enjoy your trip

*Note : Don't take EC flyover (BETL), you cannot access NICE Road from there, you will end up missing it.
At the signal for Hosa Road, get onto the service road that has Audi showroom, etc and just after PES college (Azim Premji university) you will see the ramp for entry to NICE Road.

Last edited by NPV : 11th August 2016 at 11:52.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 23:11   #1518
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Anyone knows about the current road condition of Bangalore to Ooty via kanakapura.
I am planning to start from Bangalore Whitefield at 3.00 p.m. Also would be helpful if someone can throw light on till what time Kalhatty ghat roads be open? And any new timing restrictions on bandipur section.
Started around 3.15 p.m from near SAP labs in Whitefield. Took us almost 1 hour 20 minutes to reach NICE Road Kanakapura junction. Finally reached Ooty at 9.15 p.m. (via kalhatty). Roads were pretty good except for rough patches between Chamrajnagar and Gundelpet (as NPV pointed out). Also too much of two wheeler traffic through out the section till Gundelpet.

Spotted Wild Bison and Elephant on the Kalhatty road post Masinagudi.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 12:48   #1519
BHPian

Seems the long weekend in Ooty is going to be a crowded affair. 😀
Nonetheless my plan is to miss Ooty and drive all the way to Wellington for this long weekend of 15th Aug with family. Plan to start by 4 from Bangalore and reach by 11am atleast.
Although have got quite a bit of info from the above threads, but some more questions... How long is the gudalur route, have family who are not comfortable on ghats so planning gudalur route. Any special things to keep in mind on that route, diversions etc. Also are there any ghats on this route also?
Also what's the best option for return late evening (starting from Wellington at 5 pm may be)...the gudalur route or the Salem route ... ?
Old 12th August 2016, 20:20   #1520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Seems the long weekend in Ooty is going to be a crowded affair. 😀
Nonetheless my plan is to miss Ooty and drive all the way to Wellington for this long weekend of 15th Aug with family. Plan to start by 4 from Bangalore and reach by 11am atleast.
Although have got quite a bit of info from the above threads, but some more questions... How long is the gudalur route, have family who are not comfortable on ghats so planning gudalur route. Any special things to keep in mind on that route, diversions etc. Also are there any ghats on this route also?
Also what's the best option for return late evening (starting from Wellington at 5 pm may be)...the gudalur route or the Salem route ... ?
Ooty is around 50KM from Gudalur. Should take maybe an hour to 90 min extra over the 36 hair pin route. The route definitely is a ghat road, but now does not have hair pin bends. And since it is long, should be a gentle climb. With the Gudalur route, not sure if you can reach in 7 hours including breaks. I feel you would need just around 7 hours of driving time.

On the return, I would say the Coonoor route. Reason is that if you leave at 5PM, you run a risk of not crossing the forest check post by 8.30 (Although the closure is from 9-6am, on the TN side before you enter the forest, they stop vehicles by 8.15-8.30 itself. Since it is going to be a heavy traffic day, would suggest not to take the risk and return via Coonoor.
Old 13th August 2016, 10:35   #1521
Senior - BHPian

What is the road condition on the Kanakapura->Malavalli->Bannur->Harohalli->Mysore ring road sector? Was wondering to take this route (from Bangalore), rather than using the Bangalore-Mysore state highway (via Ramanagara etc.).
Old 13th August 2016, 12:23   #1522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
What is the road condition on the Kanakapura->Malavalli->Bannur->Harohalli->Mysore ring road sector?
Its been a while since I traveled on that route. However, from those who traveled been hearing that apart from few KM's around Bannur roads are fine.

If you thinking of travelling on Aug 15 weekend, guess any road will be better than Bangalore - Mysore road.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 23:44   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
What is the road condition on the Kanakapura->Malavalli->Bannur->Harohalli->Mysore ring road sector? .
It's good throughout, except for a couple of kilometres a little before you hit the mysore ring road. There's road construction and widening going on and the surface is just gravel on this stretch. Might take about ten minutes to cross it. The last time I travelled on this was about a month ago.
There are a few bad patches near the towns enroute but nothing too troublesome. Expect frustrating traffic till you cross Kanakapura though, but after that, the drive is blissful

Last edited by perty : 13th August 2016 at 23:46.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 22:27   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
If you thinking of travelling on Aug 15 weekend, guess any road will be better than Bangalore - Mysore road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perty
It's good throughout, except for a couple of kilometres a little before you hit the mysore ring road.
Thanks for all the information. Used the (Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore ring road) route for the week end travel. The update I have to share is that;
1. Bannur town seems to have a bit of narrow roads, with a good number of pot holes. This is also a farely populated town (can be compared to the Yemalur village, on the Chamrajanagar route) and the roads are also not good. But roads are in excellent condition before and after this town.
2. Malavalli town is also a crowded point, but this is at around 1000Hrs in the morning. An early morning ride would be much more peaceful.
3. There is heavy road construction activity from around 4kms before the Mysore Ring Road junction. But the work seems to be progressing at real quick pace, and so in a month or so it should get completed.

For my next trip on the H.D Kote->Bavali->Kattikulam->Mananthavady route, I may actually use this route. Seems to get the benefits of both the routes (can avoid the infamous Bangalore-Mysore state highway & the Nanjangud-Gundlupet route as well).
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:02   #1525

I had traveled on the long weekend and had used the following route -
Electronic City - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Purigali - Sosale - Nanjanagudu - Gundlupete - Masinagudi - Ooty.

We took the turn from Malavalli and went through the country roads which were surprisingly very well laid to reach Nanjanagudu. I would suggest to take this route since there was very minimal traffic. We took the 766 from Nanjanagudu. There was some work going for some stretch but we were able to maintain the average once the road became wide. Saw herds of Elephants and deer in Bandipur and Mudumalai. The drive through the lush forests with sounds of birds chirping and peakcock screaming really was invigorating. Took the 36 pin and suddenly we found ourselves in Ooty

We were able to beat the weekend traffic since we started from Bangalore on 12th Aug. We started on 14th morning (10 AM) from Ooty and drove through Mysore for a visit to Mysore Palace and yummy lunch at Jewel Rock Restaurant (Must if you like the old school ambiance and feeling to be somewhere which is since long serving). Took the infamous Mysore - Bangalore highway and were back by 8 pm.
Rony2207 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 23:29   #1526
BANNED

That sounds like a good drive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has taken the Bachahalli road from Gundulpet.

This reaches Mangala village.

From here, go on something called site road. Per G maps this road terminates about half km from Moyar River.

I think it would be motor able further to the river itself. Perhaps a mud road from British times?

This river has a T junction with a tributary.

Now I see that there is a road from this tributary. This goes all the way to Masinagudi.
I think this road is worth exploring.

1. How do we cross the river? Is it just a feet or so deep or a fathom deep?
2. Is there a ferry capable of carrying cars?

Perhaps someone who lives around that place will have a better idea.

I've attached a map. This shows the part after crossing the river. It's just to give a better idea of the mad plan.

I'm sure it's possible to cross the river to reach the red bubble in the attached map.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-image.jpeg  

Last edited by hangover : 22nd August 2016 at 23:34.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:28   #1527
BHPian

Hi. I plan for a motorcycle ride from Bangalore to Ooty. Just waiting for leaves to materialize.

Since this will be my first ride in the southern India, would request some help.

I think from what I have understood is that the Masinagudi route has the 36 hairpin turns and is a better option to come down than go up via that route.

I live at Kundalhalli Gate and would really appreciate routing help for the trip. It will be one TBTS 350, with pillion (wife) and saddle bags.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th August 2016, 16:17   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Hi. I plan for a motorcycle ride from Bangalore to Ooty. Just waiting for leaves to materialize.

Since this will be my first ride in the southern India, would request some help.

I think from what I have understood is that the Masinagudi route has the 36 hairpin turns and is a better option to come down than go up via that route.

I live at Kundalhalli Gate and would really appreciate routing help for the trip. It will be one TBTS 350, with pillion (wife) and saddle bags.

Thanks in advance.
Here is the route i took to reach Ooty recently, starting from Marathahalli. Except for few rough patches in between, the road is in decent condition overall.

https://goo.gl/maps/nK2j9hs6VVm

I may not be able to comment on taking the ghat road on a 2 wheeler, since i was driving the car then. There is an alternate longer route via Gudalur, if you want to avoid the steep 36 hairpin ghat.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 16:31   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post

I may not be able to comment on taking the ghat road on a 2 wheeler, since i was driving the car then. There is an alternate longer route via Gudalur, if you want to avoid the steep 36 hairpin ghat.
Thanks. I may take the alternate route instead of the 36 Hairpins. Am used to the TBTS 500 and somehow lack the confidence in the 350 now.

My biggest issue was getting out of Bangalore and you have solved that

Regards,
Saurab

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 26th August 2016 at 16:32. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 26th August 2016, 16:40   #1530
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
My biggest issue was getting out of Bangalore and you have solved that
Needless to say, an early start is very much necessary to enjoy a road trip out of Bangalore, especially Mysore
Mysore road route would be Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty.

If you start by 5am, you can simply go right through the city and get on to Mysore Road.
Getting out of Bangalore city:
-City route would be:Kundalahalli gate to Old Airport Road, Richmond Road, go below flyover, Corporation circle, turn right and get on to flyover and you're on the Mysore Road.
-Alternative is Kundalahalli to ORR-Silk Board-Hosur Road, don't take the elevated road, get onto NICE Road and take the exit to Kanakapura Road (if taking that route as detailed below) or Mysore Road.

If taking the Mysore Road route, the entire route is a food court of sorts, so you have innumerable options for breakfast/breaks.
The 36 hair pin bend route via Masinagudi is indeed steep but can quite easily be done in a car but I'm not so sure about your bike. Instead, you can take the straight route via Gudalur which has also been patched up recently and is in good condition. If you take the 36 hair pin bend route on your return, sometimes cops do not allow during holiday weekends when traffic is more. Also, you'd be testing the braking capabilities of your bike, so would advice caution.

*Alternative route is to go via Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Terakanambi-Gundlupet-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty. In this case you can break at Nijaguna Resorts in Chamarajangar.
*The turn off to 36 hair pin bend route via Masinagudi is at Theppakadu.

Last edited by NPV : 26th August 2016 at 16:48.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks