Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 12:03   #1606
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

How is the road from Mysuru to Ooty now? Planning a trip in February. Thank you in advance!
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 16:29   #1607
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnuvila View Post
How is the road from Mysuru to Ooty now? Planning a trip in February. Thank you in advance!
Road is fine now with most of the widening work completed between Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet.
Once you get into the TN side after gundlupet, you can take either the 36 hair pin bend route via Masingudi and kalhatti or the NH road via Gudalur both are in good condition.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 11:06   #1608
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Long time since I posted a query here.

Planning to travel to Masinagudi via Bandipur this Saturday Night or can say early morning Sunday with Four adults and two kids so need some help in terms of

- Best Route Scenic of course I love driving .
- Good roads as my Honda City is way to low never the less obvious ground clearance horror with a butter smooth engine ( which brings a smile the moment I rev the ivtec)
- Good restaurants with restroom facility as mentioned kids around so need that on priority.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th February 2017 at 10:06. Reason: See note in post.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:34   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
- Good roads as my Honda City is way to low never the less obvious ground clearance horror with a butter smooth engine ( which brings a smile the moment I rev the ivtec)
- Good restaurants with restroom facility as mentioned kids around so need that on priority.
  • Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakdu-Masinagudi is the standard route. Alternatively you can do Bangalore-Kanakpura-Bannur-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi. If you are starting early, stick to the regular Mandya-Mysore route. The only scenic section would be the Bandipur Forest to Masinagudi. Even that would be very dry. The Kanakpura-Bannur-Mysore is a 2 lane highway and while not exactly scenic, would be nicer on the eyes as compared to the regular Mysore highway.
  • Roads are excellent pretty much all the way. Some widening work between Gundlepet and forest entry, but nothing to tax your City.
  • Restrooms/Eateries: Plenty on Mysore Road. Nothing worth while on the Kanakpura-Bannur Route. Since you are starting early, maybe worthwhile to break at Mysore. There is a CCD at Nanjangud and also at Gundlepet for rest room breaks. For food, if not Mysore- Misty Rock at Gundlepet. Average food, but the best you can get.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th February 2017 at 10:06. Reason: Editing quoted post.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 12:04   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
Planning to travel to Masinagudi via Bandipur this Saturday Night or can say early morning Sunday with Four adults and two kids so need some help in terms of

To add to what Rajeevraj mentioned :

1) Gundlupet-Bandipur section had some roadwork in progress in late December - not sure if it is complete yet. Not too worrisome in terms of ground clearance issues, but there were some untarred gravel track sections which could be uncomfortable to traverse.

2) The 10 kms between Theppekkadu and Masinagudi can be quite tricky to drive since the tarred surface is quite narrow in most places - wide enough for just about 1.5 vehicles. At a lot of places the road shoulder is lower by 6 inches or more, so be very careful when giving way to vehicles coming in the opposite directions since you have a low GC vehicle. Road conditions are quite similar (or sometimes worse) on most side roads leading to resorts in Masinagudi also (Singara road, Bokkapuram road, Bamboo Banks road etc. The Moyar road is slightly better).

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th February 2017 at 10:06. Reason: Editing quoted post.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 01:29   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
  • Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakdu-Masinagudi is the standard route. Alternatively you can do Bangalore-Kanakpura-Bannur-Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakadu-Masinagudi. If you are starting early, stick to the regular Mandya-Mysore route. The only scenic section would be the Bandipur Forest to Masinagudi. Even that would be very dry. The Kanakpura-Bannur-Mysore is a 2 lane highway and while not exactly scenic, would be nicer on the eyes as compared to the regular Mysore highway.
  • Roads are excellent pretty much all the way. Some widening work between Gundlepet and forest entry, but nothing to tax your City.
  • Restrooms/Eateries: Plenty on Mysore Road. Nothing worth while on the Kanakpura-Bannur Route. Since you are starting early, maybe worthwhile to break at Mysore. There is a CCD at Nanjangud and also at Gundlepet for rest room breaks. For food, if not Mysore- Misty Rock at Gundlepet. Average food, but the best you can get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
To add to what Rajeevraj mentioned :

1) Gundlupet-Bandipur section had some roadwork in progress in late December - not sure if it is complete yet. Not too worrisome in terms of ground clearance issues, but there were some untarred gravel track sections which could be uncomfortable to traverse.

2) The 10 kms between Theppekkadu and Masinagudi can be quite tricky to drive since the tarred surface is quite narrow in most places - wide enough for just about 1.5 vehicles. At a lot of places the road shoulder is lower by 6 inches or more, so be very careful when giving way to vehicles coming in the opposite directions since you have a low GC vehicle. Road conditions are quite similar (or sometimes worse) on most side roads leading to resorts in Masinagudi also (Singara road, Bokkapuram road, Bamboo Banks road etc. The Moyar road is slightly better).
Thanks guys. Your suggestions actually kept me prepared

The road condition is amazing as it is new tar laid across including complete Bandipur and Madhumalai (except my Honda city was loaded with luggage and four adults, so the car did kiss the road as though it was cleaning it.

There was only 200 meters stretch that was really rough just before hitting Masinagudi.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th February 2017 at 10:07. Reason: See note in post.
Old 19th February 2017, 20:20   #1612
BHPian

Just back from Ooty. The last time I visited was a year and a half ago, and boy what a difference.

If you can get pass the NICE junction before 6:00 AM, you can easily make Hill Bunk, Ooty in 6 hours with a largish break for breakfast and driving at sane speeds using the Bangalore Mysore road. Coming back took 7 hrs, but I left Ooty at 9:30 AM. At Mysore I don't take take the ring road, but just cut across the city through the cantonment/racecourse on 150A. I find this is the quickest way to get through Mysore.

Mysore to Gundelpet is now such a joy to use, just zipped through. Gundelpet to the start of the sanctuary is mostly good except for a couple of diversions and some road work, but a lot better than what I remember it being and wont really affect your overall average speed.

All the roads inside the sanctuary, both sides of the border have been re-laid, but the ones on the Karnataka side are UNMARKED and are small and sharp !!, so take it easy and look out for signs indicating a bump or better still look out for stones and boulders arranged on either side of the speed-breaker along the shoulder of the road. I missed the first couple of unmarked ones and my car literally became a Jet !!!

Most of the main roads in the Nilgiris seem to have been re-tarred, even Sigur Ghat, so enjoy while it lasts.

Cheers.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 22:20   #1613
BHPian

Hi guys, Just returned from a trip to Ooty.

Onward journey via Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Masinagudi-Ooty : Good roads in general, a bit of a bad stretch nearing Bandipur entry. Masinagudi hairpin route is narrow but roads are good. Not much of a scenic route.

Return Journey via Ooty-Gudalur-Gundlepet-Nanjangud-Mysore : 30 Km more according to Google maps, definitely the more scenic route. Roads are generally good, a bit of uneven surfaces. Look out for buses and trucks on this route

A few observations:

1) Hornpad is the area on the steering that is allergic to hands of many drivers/owners/idiots, they don't use it at all. Either they are ignorant or they chose to conserve battery charge or God only knows the unavoidable excuse why they don't use the horn.

2) Jumping the line, even though more dangerous in the hill roads, is religiously followed by people, whether they drive a two-wheeler or a huge four-wheeler.

3) If you follow the rules of the road, you are the idiot. You may or may not survive the geniuses on the road.

4) A vehicle may suddenly slow down without indicating so as to give the occupants a chance to notice a waterfall or something far away. It's wise for you to look out for genius people opening doors into the road because their brilliant minds are just too excited seeing the sights.

5) Pray. Wear your seatbelts. Drive safe. Vehicles are repairable, humans rarely so. Trust me, I'm in the profession of repairing humans.

Ooty is a beautiful place to unwind. Thanks to Team-BHP I was well informed of the roads. Thank you everyone for the help.
cunnuvila is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 01:11   #1614
BHPian

Hi,

If I take a rental car from Bangalore, do I have to pay any TN entry/permit fee on the way to Ooty? Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2017, 20:21   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Hi,

If I take a rental car from Bangalore, do I have to pay any TN entry/permit fee on the way to Ooty? Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, all commercial vehicles including rental cars (yellow boards / Black boards) need to pay state permit fee while entering states.

-Ravi
Old 4th April 2017, 20:29   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Going to Ooty this weekend again with my in-laws. However I want do avoid the 36 bend route since my car is just 1200 kms old. Do not want to put stress on the engine.

What is the other option ? Is it the one through Masinaguri or Gudalur ?

Last edited by Altocumulus : 4th April 2017 at 20:33.
Old 4th April 2017, 21:20   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Going to Ooty this weekend again with my in-laws. However I want do avoid the 36 bend route since my car is just 1200 kms old. Do not want to put stress on the engine.

via Gudalur. Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty.

On a side note, I don't think it should be an issue taking a new car through the 36 hairpin route. After all you are not going to be redlining the car. I think it will be a work out the engine will enjoy.

Edit: Another option would be via Salem-Annur Mettupalayam-Coonoor-Ooty. Longer, but may not be much of a time difference (depends on where in Ooty you are headed)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th April 2017 at 21:25.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 21:28   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
via Gudalur. Mysore-Gundlepet-Theppakadu-Gudalur-Ooty.

On a side note, I don't think it should be an issue taking a new car through the 36 hairpin route. After all you are not going to be redlining the car. I think it will be a work out the engine will enjoy.

Edit: Another option would be via Salem-Annur Mettupalayam-Coonoor-Ooty. Longer, but may not be much of a time difference (depends on where in Ooty you are headed)
Thanks a lot. I have bookings at the Western Valley Resort. I am a little paranoid and pocessive when it comes to my vehicles, so don't want to give her a stress.
I will give her a workout on the way back for sure on the open road.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 4th April 2017 at 21:30.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 14:53   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

The turns are sharp but doable even in any car, new or old. Ascending would be better than ascending in this stretch.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:11   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any alternate route from Mysore to Ooty without going via Masinagudi? There are so many speedbreakers on that stretch...on a motorbike it just gets extremely frustrating.

Most Viewed