Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 19:25   #1651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Are there any busses from the airport one can take to go towards mysore? What is the best option? Would appreciate any help, thanks!
@dailydriver has already suggested the best option. The KSRTC bus service directly from Airport to Mysore is the best option and you'll save lot of time.

You'll save 1 hour of travel time, if you take Shatabdi, but waste more than 2 hours reaching the station.

Flying has been stopped and only Chartered flights land in Mysore now. After Kingfisher, no other operator tried this route.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 19:45   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Flying has been stopped and only Chartered flights land in Mysore now. After Kingfisher, no other operator tried this route.
Sad!

Good news is that Mysuru appears to be one of the unserved/underserved airports chosen under the UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagarik) scheme. Hope airlines will start serving the Bengaluru-Mysuru route with a bit more regularity and seriousness.

A ₹2,500 flight from KIA to Mysuru airport will any day be cheaper and quicker than taking a taxi.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 08:26   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

A ₹2,500 flight from KIA to Mysuru airport will any day be cheaper and quicker than taking a taxi.

Once the 6 lane work is completed on the Bangalore - Mysore stretch it just doesn't make any sense to fly Bangalore -Mysore. It would probably take under 3 hrs to drive to Mysore. Even on those crowded holidays I have been able to do this stretch in less than 3 hrs.
The drive to the airport from most locations in Bangalore could take 2 hrs.

Yes the Udan scheme will make a lot of sense for tourists from other parts of the country , if they want to fly direct to Mysore and skip Bangalore.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 15:53   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Once the 6 lane work is completed on the Bangalore - Mysore stretch it just doesn't make any sense to fly Bangalore -Mysore. It would probably take under 3 hrs to drive to Mysore. Even on those crowded holidays I have been able to do this stretch in less than 3 hrs.
Hope the 6 lane work is done fast. There's a unique driving pattern on Bangalore - Mysore highway. The slowest moving Vehicle will always drives on the far right side lane. So, you've to dodge or zig zag from Left lane to Right Lane and vice versa.

Whereas, the Trucks are mostly well disciplined on the Pune-Bombay highway. Of course, it's a 6 lane Road, but the Truckers mostly stick to the middle lane. Hope this pattern comes to Bangalore-Mysore Road also.
Old 29th April 2017, 18:14   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Hope the 6 lane work is done fast. There's a unique driving pattern on Bangalore - Mysore highway. The slowest moving Vehicle will always drives on the far right side lane. So, you've to dodge or zig zag from Left lane to Right Lane and vice versa.

Whereas, the Trucks are mostly well disciplined on the Pune-Bombay highway. Of course, it's a 6 lane Road, but the Truckers mostly stick to the middle lane. Hope this pattern comes to Bangalore-Mysore Road also.
This is true for most of our highways. I drove to Chennai last week. I had to go behind three trucks, going very slow, taking all the three lanes. Same case is true on Bangalore Hyderabad highway as well. I wonder what we are paying the toll for. I expect the NHAI to patrol the roads and ensure that the heavy vehicles take only the left most lane. I have never seen it happen.
Old 9th May 2017, 17:38   #1656
BHPian

What is the best route now-a-days from Mysore to Bangalore on a Sunday afternoon? Considering the roadwork in Kanakpura road, is it still advisable to take that route? I'll be returning from Bandipur this Sunday afternoon; will be crossing Mysore ~1:30 PM. How about Gundlupet -> Nanajangud -> Mysore ORR junction -> Bannur -> Malavalli -> Maddur -> Bidadi -> Bangalore? This will escape traffic jam at Mandya & Srirangpatna. How is the road condition between Malavalli and Maddur? Last time I traveled on this road, there were many diversions due to road widening.
Old 9th May 2017, 18:19   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
What is the best route now-a-days from Mysore to Bangalore on a Sunday afternoon?
No escaping the traffic at that hour, you will definitely get long lines at Mandya and Channapatna signals.

Quote:
How is the road condition between Malavalli and Maddur? Last time I traveled on this road, there were many diversions due to road widening.
I did this route in end Jan it still had quite a few diversions.

I avoid Mysore road on Sundays (or any other day falling at the end of a long weekend) between 9AM-9PM. But that may or may not work for you.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 19:02   #1658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best route now-a-days from Mysore to Bangalore on a Sunday afternoon? Considering the roadwork in Kanakpura road, is it still advisable to take that route? I'll be returning from Bandipur this Sunday afternoon; will be crossing Mysore ~1:30 PM. How about Gundlupet -> Nanajangud -> Mysore ORR junction -> Bannur -> Malavalli -> Maddur -> Bidadi -> Bangalore? This will escape traffic jam at Mandya & Srirangpatna. How is the road condition between Malavalli and Maddur? Last time I traveled on this road, there were many diversions due to road widening.
From my experience, if you can cross Mysore and be on the Mysore-Bangalore by 1PM, it should be a reasonable drive. There will be traffic for sure, but it will be moving ok and you should take the usual amount of time. The stretch really starts peaking post 4PM.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 19:46   #1659
BANNED

There are contracts b/w govt. and current airport management. You can't build an international type airport within 150 km of it. Ever. That's why we cannot use the existing HAL airport.

There are small propeller driven planes 7 or 8 seater which do a good job in carrying cargo and people short distances. The Cessna caravan is one.
So, what I'd suggest is a new and a mini type of airport near Bidadi. The original Rangarajan committee report on this topic had identified a good location. Use the same. Or the other one considered (same report) near Chintamani.

While the distance between two cities is so less, and drivers aplenty (like here) there are still a lot of people who simply don't want to bother about driving.
At the same time a lot of people avoid public transport because it is not exclusive enough.
So, from Bidadi operate super luxury busses onwards to Mysore, Ooty, etc.
Old 9th May 2017, 20:16   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
No escaping the traffic at that hour, you will definitely get long lines at Mandya and Channapatna signals.

I did this route in end Jan it still had quite a few diversions.

I avoid Mysore road on Sundays (or any other day falling at the end of a long weekend) between 9AM-9PM. But that may or may not work for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
From my experience, if you can cross Mysore and be on the Mysore-Bangalore by 1PM, it should be a reasonable drive. There will be traffic for sure, but it will be moving ok and you should take the usual amount of time. The stretch really starts peaking post 4PM.
So I should rule out Kanakpura Road for the return leg? I have driven in that stretch (Harohalli - NICE road) only once since road work started, that too at midnight; even then I had to take the parallel 'Pipeline road' to return to Bangalore. This was 3 months back. Is the condition still same? From Mysore ORR junction, Kanakpura road was such a nice alternative route to Bangalore.
Old 9th May 2017, 20:30   #1661
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best route now-a-days from Mysore to Bangalore on a Sunday afternoon?
Tough question to give a definitive answer, it really depends

Recently, on a regular Sunday (not a long/holiday weekend), started around 5pm from Mysore and still managed to reach NICE Road junction around 7:30pm, the towns en route were slow taking about 5 minutes each but overall it was manageable and I was able to maintain a constant speed mostly (just let the fast moving vehicles pass and it was quite stress free). Since the city roads seemed clogged, I took NICE Road and exited at Hosur Road and got home via Koramangala and it was still fast.

Bannur-Malavalli road had just one place where there was asphalting work being done and a small, narrow portion inside the Bannur town, otherwise road was quite wide and in good condition. However, Kanakapura road may be a pain with the work currently in progress.

Since you're returning around 1:30pm, I think you can just take a chance with the regular Mysore Road route (my tip is to keep to 75-80kmph max speed and let the faster vehicles zoom past).

Last edited by NPV : 9th May 2017 at 20:33.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 20:31   #1662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I should rule out Kanakpura Road for the return leg? I have driven in that stretch (Harohalli - NICE road) only once since road work started, that too at midnight; even then I had to take the parallel 'Pipeline road' to return to Bangalore. This was 3 months back. Is the condition still same? From Mysore ORR junction, Kanakpura road was such a nice alternative route to Bangalore.
Have not taken Kanakpura road for quite some time now. I just time my entry into Bangalore-Mysore Road. With the humps and barricades greatly reduced, if you reasonably time your drive, Bangalore-Mysore Road is a smooth drive.

In addition, any kind of roadwork and diversions can cause significant delays, so I personally try to avoid routes where there is roadwork in progress (If feasible of course).

With more and more people taking Kanakpura route, it is no longer the peaceful drive that it was earlier irrespective of the time. Just my opinion.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 17:43   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT: Need to drive to Kanakpura tomorrow. What is the road condition between NICE road exit - Kanakpura. Anything I need to keep an eye out for?
Old 14th May 2017, 22:56   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Slightly OT: Need to drive to Kanakpura tomorrow. What is the road condition between NICE road exit - Kanakpura. Anything I need to keep an eye out for?

All good. You'll find small deviations or road work at Kaggallipura ( after Art of Living). Otherwise it's quite ok and nothing unusual.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 10:39   #1665
BHPian

Hi everyone.

I'm form Mumbai and planning a holiday to Ooty. The current plan is to fly to Bangalore, take a Zoomcar from the airport, and drive down to Ooty with one overnight halt at Mysore.

Can the folks here help me with the suggested routes?

I will land in Bangalore by 8.15am and hope to be on the road by 9.30am.
My return flight from Bangalore is 6.15pm. Can I make it straight from Ooty?

Oh yeah, I'm travelling with wife and 5 year old twins so I expect average speeds to be lesser than when alone.

thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks