Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 15:32   #1711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Two of my office colleagues intend to visit Ooty by car (Diesel) the coming weekend along with their spouse and kids. Need info on the following

1. Best route. Is it preferable to go via Masinagudi or Gudalur
2. Updates on the current road conditions
3. Places to break for tiffin en route from Bangalore
4. They will be in Ooty for about a day and a half. What places can be covered in this time frame keeping in mind the enjoyment for the kids.
5. Is it advisable to go via Mysore road or Kanakapura road ?
1.Go via masinagudi and return via gudalur.
2.Should be excellent all through.
3.Depends on the timing and route. Mysore road has tons of places, most open after 6.30 types. If the timing is earlier or if the routing is via Kanakapura- Bannur, one of the many places within Mysore should work. In my recent trips I have stopped at up-south at RightO food court before Srirangapatna.
4. No specific inputs.
5. If the start is before 6 Mysore road should be good. Post that since it is a a long weekend, maybe kanakpura malavalli Bannur Mysore will be better.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th June 2017 at 15:33.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 22:33   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks
Two of my office colleagues intend to visit Ooty by car (Diesel) the coming weekend along with their spouse and kids. Need info on the following

1. Best route. Is it preferable to go via Masinagudi or Gudalur.
Go via Masinagudi and come back via Gudalur.

2. Updates on the current road conditions.
Road work going on on a small stretch few kilometers before Bandipur. But the road is wide enough. So no issues really.

3. Places to break for tiffin en route from Bangalore.
Shouldn't be an issue at all. Just keep an eye for roadside dhabas. There are quite a few family dhabas near Mysuru.

4. They will be in Ooty for about a day and a half. What places can be covered in this time frame keeping in mind the enjoyment for the kids.
Ooty Lake for boating, Botanical Garden, Dodabetta Peak, Chocolate Museum, Rose Garden would be my recommendation. Have food at Amma's Kitchen.

5. Is it advisable to go via Mysore road or Kanakapura road ?
We went via Mysuru road. Can't comment about Kanakapura road.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 19:28   #1713
BHPian

Folks, planning to go to Ooty one of these weekends, by renting a Scorpio from Myles. I understand the commercial vehicles will have to pay higher tax at the border, however I am not able to find the number. If anyone has the knowledge, it would be great if you could enlighten me.
Old 28th June 2017, 21:39   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Folks, planning to go to Ooty one of these weekends, by renting a Scorpio from Myles. I understand the commercial vehicles will have to pay higher tax at the border, however I am not able to find the number. If anyone has the knowledge, it would be great if you could enlighten me.
Check this - https://www.zoomcar.com/bangalore/outstation
Looks like its around 500. not sure if its latest, but can give you an indication.
Old 30th June 2017, 02:01   #1715
BHPian

Bangalore to Kodanad, TN

Dear all,

Planning to go for a ride on on my TB500 from Blore to Kodanad, TN this Saturday. Could you pls let me know the best route?
Intend to start the trip by 5am.

Thanks,
Venky
Old 30th June 2017, 17:52   #1716

I am back from a week long road trip Goa-Mysore-Ooty-Wayanad-Coorg-Goa covering 2200 KMs. Thanks all the members for your valuable inputs.
Crowley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 12:47   #1717
BHPian

Hi, We are three families planning a drive to Ooty. (Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Mysore).

We plan to start around 5AM and so we hope to be in Mysore around 8AM. Please suggest restaurants near Mysore on the highway itself. We'd prefer not to enter Mysore town during peak/office hours and would like to continue on the bypass towards Ooty. Any suggestions on breakfast places on that route?
Old 11th July 2017, 13:32   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshs View Post
Dear all,

Planning to go for a ride on on my TB500 from Blore to Kodanad, TN this Saturday. Could you pls let me know the best route?

Thanks,
Venky
You can take the standard Mysore - Ooty - Kotagiri -Kondanad route but if you want to enjoy some twisties and relatively less traffic drive, you could also do Kanakpura - Chamrajnagar - Dimbam - Satyamangalam - Metupalayam - Kotagiri - Kondanad. Though the second route is longer, it should be a good drive though I am not sure what the road conditions are as on date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
We plan to start around 5AM and so we hope to be in Mysore around 8AM
Loads of options listed in this thread already. Some that come to my mind are
1. Right O before Srirangapatna which has an Up South and clean rest rooms https://goo.gl/maps/BGngpbSNmCr
2. Thotada Mane - small deviation from Mysore road before srirangapatna but the food is really good, especially if you want some lip smacking shavige bath or akki roti . More details here
Old 11th July 2017, 14:01   #1719
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest restaurants near Mysore on the highway itself. We'd prefer not to enter Mysore town during peak/office hours and would like to continue on the bypass towards Ooty. Any suggestions on breakfast places on that route?
Several options, but most open post 6:45am.
Maddur - Indradhanush on right, Maddur Tiffanys on left and right, Adigas on right, Thimmadas on left, A2B on right.

Probably Upsouth and Thotada Mane are better choices as mentioned by @procrj

There is also Kamat Madhuvan opposite Mysore Palace on the Gundlupet Road.
Good thing about this location is that you're already on the Gundlupet Road and you'd have crossed Mysore City.

*Note:
If you take the left ring of the Mysore Ring Road, when you reach the Gundlupet Road, you need to turn left for Gundlupet, but turn right in the direction towards Mysore for 1-1.5Km to reach this Kamat.

If not taking Mysore ring road and going inside Mysore city (traffic should not be an issue on account of your early start), you need to go past the bus stand, turn left and look for signs to Ooty and you reach the Mysore Palace, just opposite the Palace you will find Kamat.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:03   #1720
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the Kamat NPV is mentioning about. Link

Also, on a weekend by 05:00 AM traffic increases exponentially on Mysore road. If possible cross NICE road junctions (either the Kanakpura road one or Mysore road one based on the route preference) before 05:00 AM, this will make your journey much peaceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshs View Post
My suggestion would be to take Kanakpura road with a slightly earlier start as mentioned above. You can join Mysore road past Mallavalli or continue till Chamarajanagar based on your comfort.

Quote:
We plan to start around 5AM and so we hope to be in Mysore around 8AM.
In case you are taking Mysore ring road the best option is Kamat mentioned above. Else you can stop at Gudlupet, however apart from the CCD, other hotels have below average rest rooms there.

This again is around 1 hour drive from Mysore ring road's southern end.
Old 11th July 2017, 17:47   #1721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Also, on a weekend by 05:00 AM traffic increases exponentially on Mysore road
Quote:
We plan to start around 5AM and so we hope to be in Mysore around 8AM
If you are driving from North Bangalore then the other option would be Nelamangala - Bellur cross - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore. You can even start at 6 am, have some crispy masala dosa at Swati Delicacy and drive leisurely till Srirangapatna on this route. Distance is ~180 kms from Yeshwantpur vs the ~140 km via Mysore road but time taken to cover this 180 kms is a deterministic 2.5 hrs. Can be even faster if you decide to test your car limits on the 4L stretch upto Bellur cross.
Old 11th July 2017, 18:02   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Hearing about Kaveri related disruptions around Mandya. I am travelling to Mysore and proceeding to Kabini and is planning for a 4 am start from South Bangalore. I am hoping this early start will enable to cross Mandya before any protesters hit the roads
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 23:03   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Loads of options listed in this thread already. Some that come to my mind are
Thanks! The goal is to cross Mysore and drive as much as possible early AM. The Kamat seems to be the logical choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Several options, but most open post 6:45am.
Maddur - Indradhanush on right, Maddur Tiffanys on left and right, Adigas on right, Thimmadas on left, A2B on right.
Thank you! This seems like what we'll end up doing. But some cars have kids and as we all know, that variable could kick in even before we get out of Bangalore! haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
This is the Kamat NPV is mentioning about.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that it's 1 hour from the junction. We'll have to take this into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you are driving from North Bangalore then the other option would be Nelamangala - Bellur cross - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore. You can even start at 6 am, have some crispy masala dosa at Swati Delicacy and drive leisurely till Srirangapatna on this route. Distance is ~180 kms from Yeshwantpur vs the ~140 km via Mysore road but time taken to cover this 180 kms is a deterministic 2.5 hrs. Can be even faster if you decide to test your car limits on the 4L stretch upto Bellur cross.
We are all starting from South Bangalore (ORR / Whitefield area). But the route is tempting considering the boring drive on Mysore road coupled with crazy drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Hearing about Kaveri related disruptions around Mandya. I am travelling to Mysore and proceeding to Kabini and is planning for a 4 am start from South Bangalore. I am hoping this early start will enable to cross Mandya before any protesters hit the roads
Really!? This would totally suck. Hoping to cross Mandya before any agitation happens.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2017 at 07:20. Reason: Trimmed all quoted sections
Old 12th July 2017, 00:26   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to start at 7 or 8, I'll start around 4.30 now and hope to cross mandya at or before 6.30am.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 09:56   #1725
Senior - BHPian

There is report on court ruling expected today on Kaveri and also on the heavy police security around Mandya. Early morning start should save us from trouble while going, thinking of coming through Kanakpura on the way back. Planning keep a tab on the court ruling and proceedings after that and decide.

Most Viewed