Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 09:59   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to start at 7 or 8, I'll start around 4.30 now and hope to cross mandya at or before 6.30am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
There is report on court ruling expected today on Kaveri and also on the heavy police security around Mandya. Early morning start should save us from trouble while going, thinking of coming through Kanakpura on the way back. Planning keep a tab on the court ruling and proceedings after that and decide.
Although I said I'd start at 4.30, I woke up at 4 but left only at 7.15 crossed Mandya at 9 am, there wasn't even increased police presence.

Maybe I got lucky today or perhaps there won't be any protests.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 12th July 2017 at 10:01.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:01   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Although I said I'd start at 4.30, I woke up at 4 bit left only at 7.15 crossed Mandya at 9 am, there wasn't even increased police presence.

Maybe I got lucky today or perhaps there won't be any protests.
Thanks for that update. Court verdict might be during later part of the day, hope things go peaceful after all.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 08:57   #1728
BHPian

Hi Guys,

How is the present road condition between Ooty and Gudalur? I'll be travelling to Ooty from Bangalore in October. Planning to take the Masinagudi route while going. For the return leg, I have a toss up between the route via Gudalur & the one via Salem.

I'd prefer the Gudalur route since its shorter; but the last time I traveled on this route in Jan 2015, the condition of the road was extremely poor!

As per google maps, Ooty to my residence via Gudalur is 349 km & via Salem is 438 km. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which route would be the better choice.

Last edited by red.devil_19 : 18th September 2017 at 09:02. Reason: Typo
Old 18th September 2017, 09:53   #1729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi Guys,

How is the present road condition between Ooty and Gudalur? I'll be travelling to Ooty from Bangalore in October. Planning to take the Masinagudi route while going. For the return leg, I have a toss up between the route via Gudalur & the one via Salem.

I'd prefer the Gudalur route since its shorter; but the last time I traveled on this route in Jan 2015, the condition of the road was extremely poor!

As per google maps, Ooty to my residence via Gudalur is 349 km & via Salem is 438 km. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which route would be the better choice.
The Ooty-Gudalur-Theppakadu road was relaid in 2015. So it no longer in in that terrible condition-Especially the Gudalur-Theppakadu stretch.

On the other hand, I think the Western Ghats-Nilgiri belt has been witnessing very heavy rain-especially over the last 2-3 days. So will probably need to wait and watch how it has impacted the roads.

Although the Gudalur route is shorter, I think time wise there will not be much of difference- I think you can take a call depending on where you are starting from in Ooty and also your destination in Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 10:09   #1730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the other hand, I think the Western Ghats-Nilgiri belt has been witnessing very heavy rain-especially over the last 2-3 days.
I sincerely hope lakes in Ooty get the much need boost. The water levels have been dwindling alarmingly.
Old 18th September 2017, 11:16   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Ooty-Gudalur-Theppakadu road was relaid in 2015. So it no longer in in that terrible condition-Especially the Gudalur-Theppakadu stretch.

Although the Gudalur route is shorter, I think time wise there will not be much of difference- I think you can take a call depending on where you are starting from in Ooty and also your destination in Bangalore.
Thanks for the update Rajeevraj.

I'll be starting from Kadugodi in Bangalore and going to Club Mahindra Derby Green. While going, I'll leave Bangalore at around 4.30 AM. From my experience of driving on Mysore Road, this is a good time to start and I have rarely faced any traffic when leaving so early. I'd expect to reach the resort max by 3 pm with 2-3 breaks, via Masinagudi.

While returning (on a Sunday), I'll be leaving Ooty around 10 AM, after the scheduled check-out time at the resort. It'll not be a long weekend but I fear I'll either get slowed down in traffic on Mysore Road during the late afternoon or at the tolls if returning via Salem! So yeah, the decision ultimately depends on the exact road conditions. I do feel there are better options to take a break for food on the Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore route.
Old 18th September 2017, 13:23   #1732
BHPian

There is some fair going on in Srirangapatna. I dont know for how long but luckily I checked google before leaving Bangalore for Mysore on Saturday. Following the advise, I turned towards Kanakapura road after Maddur and saved maybe an hour.
ON the return journey Srirangapatna was completely blocked around lunch time.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60724727.cms

Luckily the traffic towards Bangalore was not so bad. The stretch around Srirangapatna towards Mysore was certainly miserable.
Old 29th September 2017, 11:33   #1733
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Am leaving for mudumalai tomorrow morning. I prefer the std Nice road=> Mysore road=>Mysore=>Nanjanagudu=> Gudlupete=> Masinagudi route.

Planning to leave by 4 AM keeping the long weekend traffic in mind. Since its Dasara, should i be leaving earlier or is there anything else i need to keep in mind?
Old 13th October 2017, 11:26   #1734
BHPian

I'm driving to Ooty tomorrow from Bangalore.

Plan is to go via Masinagudi & return via Gundlupet.

I'd appreciate any further updates on the current road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi Guys,

Old 16th October 2017, 08:53   #1735
BHPian

Completed my Bangalore - Ooty - Bangalore trip over the weekend.

Started from Bangalore (Whitefield) on Saturday at 4.40 AM and was able to check-in to my hotel at 11.30 AM. Took a couple of breaks (total 50 mins) at Right-O and at a CCD after Masinagudi (= 6 hours on the road). Got a FE of 16.5 kpl without AC on my Beat petrol.

For the return journey, started around 10.30 AM from Ooty on Sunday. Took the Gudalur route. Made just one stop at Fishland for lunch (for about 1 hour) and reached Whitefield at 7.20 PM (= 8 hours on the road). Yet to calculate the FE.

Ooty was pleasant with a bit of rain which made for a nice cosy weather! My intention was to just go there, cut off from work and relax for a day, as I've pretty much seen everything Ooty has to offer on the numerous previous trips.

Spotted loads of deer, peacocks and a solitary wild boar while travelling through Bandipur.

Just a heads up on the road conditions for anyone planning to travel-

- Bangalore ORR & Nice Road have some nasty potholes. I started at 4.40 AM and in artificial lighting it was really difficult to spot them. I was somehow able to avoid the potholes but I'd advise to exercise caution when doing these sections. These potholes might cause some serious damage to your vehicles if you go over one of them!

- Mysore Road is in far better condition. The top layer of the tarmac has peeled off at various places but it wasn't a problem for me.

- Mysore ORR isn't in the best shape and the surface is quite rough but you can still cruise on it. There are a few big potholes but should be easy to avoid during daylight.

- After Mysore, all the way to Ooty via Masinagudi, the road was in top shape. This was my first experience on driving through the Masinagudi route. Yes its quite steep and had to do the climb mostly in 1st gear.

- While returning took the Gudalur route. Masinagudi was too steep for my comfort levels to go downhill! Ooty - Gudalur is mostly in good shape except for the final 10 kms where the road is riddled with broken surfaces & potholes. Overall it's definitely in a better condition than what I remember from my previous trips.
red.devil_19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 12:25   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My friend has planned a trip to Ooty in the penultimate week of December 2017. He is accompanied by his wife and will be driving by car. As regards hotel accomaodation, his maximum budget is Rs 2500 - Rs 3000 / night. Can you suggest the best possible hotels that meet his budgetary limits.

Also can you suggest which route he should take via Gudalur or via Masinagudi
Old 27th November 2017, 13:13   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

My friend has planned a trip to Ooty in the penultimate week of December 2017. He is accompanied by his wife and will be driving by car. As regards hotel accomaodation, his maximum budget is Rs 2500 - Rs 3000 / night. Can you suggest the best possible hotels that meet his budgetary limits.

I did a roundtrip just last weekend and by the time I got back home the trip meter was standing at exactly 699kms.

Route:
Bangalore -> Mysore -> Gundulpet -> Bandipur -> Gudalur -> Ooty (approx 320kms) proves to be a longer route because my wife wanted to avoid the 36 hair pin bends.

On my way back, took the 36 hair pin and reached Bandipur quickly. I suggest take 2 different routes and the experience of drive will not be regretted. But please be double cautious to ensure not to overtake any vehicle in the curves as it’s too dangerous since the usual bus and cab drivers are known to be reckless in their driving as, I experienced how they drive. Pretty dangerous man.

Nonetheless we enjoyed the drive totally. I took 2 different routes and the nature was at its best.

I also took a detour to enter Mudhumalai forest for a brief 30 mins Safari on my way back. It was nice but I could only spot elephants and deers around. Didn’t spot much wild animals though.

Stay:
Darshan Palace in front of Ooty lake and I must say when me and wife in our previous stay in Ooty in 2016 was indeed a pleasant one with this hotel. They do have a small theatre like setup which they invite their guests and they play good English movies. This is because after 7:30 PM, Ooty is mute. You hardly hear anything apart from your footsteps.

Last week, we stayed in Sabol Holiday Resorts and it was a good one.

I recommend both of the stays above.

Last edited by gururajrv : 27th November 2017 at 13:17.
Old 27th November 2017, 18:27   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Hi Suresh - Pls have your friend try through AirBnB. I saw some really good options a month ago, in the range that you had mentioned. I had used AirBnB half a dozen times in other places, but not yet in Ooty, and i have had a good experience so far. Whilst i respond here, i already see some cottages, full apartments and similar listed properties on AirBnB from 1400-2500 ranges.
Old 20th December 2017, 10:09   #1739
BHPian

My plan is to visit Ooty/Coonoor/Wayanad during last week of December. I know it would be possibly coldest time in this part of the land.

My stay is in Gudalur and i intend to visit both Ooty and Coonoor from there.

I intend to take Mysore - Nanjanagud - Gundlupet route to Gudalur - hope this is fine.

Any good break places (cafe/resto) enroute ?
Any trusted fuel bunks enroute ?

From Gudalur, should i take Masinagudi route or usual curvy route to Ooty ?

Any recommended restaurants / must visit shopping places in ooty ?

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
Old 20th December 2017, 10:37   #1740
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I know it would be possibly coldest time in this part of the land
And there will be lot of tourists and vehicular traffic, traffic snarls are quite common around Ooty during the peak tourist season.

Petrol pumps - the Bharat Petroleum Hill petrol pump in Ooty is good, a scenic location as well, the pump is accessible from roads on either sides at different levels as it's on the edge of a hillock.

There is a Misty Rock hotel with restaurant "De Shell" right opposite Cafe Coffee Day at Gundlupet, this can be a possible break option en route.

Masinagudi route - Beyond Masinagudi town, cops usually allow only uphill day time traffic on the Kalhatty/36 hair pin bend route during the peak season to prevent accidents when descending. Given this, try to take the route when you go to Ooty from Gudalur, the experience is worth it.

Last edited by NPV : 20th December 2017 at 10:40.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks