Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:16   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I would suggest you to go via Masinagudi route. Road is in great shape as of last month when I traveled (after rains).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
It is a known fact that no heavy vehicles and no descending vehicles are allowed to take Masinagudi route except those that having NOC.
Thanks both. Will use the Masinagudi route. I was aware that this is the preferred route and your information re-confirms that. Thanks again!
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:45   #1997
BHPian

Has anyone visited GlenMorgan view point recently? How is the road from Masinagudi?
Old 8th November 2019, 07:22   #1998
BHPian

Which Bangalore-Ooty route

Hi guys,

1) I'm going to Ooty for a long weekend and I'm looking at the best route to get there. I feel that the route through Coimbatore might be the quickest.

2) What would be good food places to stop along the way?

3) What are good Driving roads and photography spots around there? Definitely planning on driving out to Conoor for a spot of lunch one of the days.

Thanks !
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 08:07   #1999
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Bangalore-Ooty route

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi guys,

1) I'm going to Ooty for a long weekend and I'm looking at the best route to get there. I feel that the route through Coimbatore might be the quickest.

2) What would be good food places to stop along the way?

3) What are good Driving roads and photography spots around there? Definitely planning on driving out to Conoor for a spot of lunch one of the days.

Thanks !
The route via Mysore is the shortest and quickest. You can check the below thread for more information.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...eries-134.html (Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries)
Old 8th November 2019, 09:04   #2000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As suggested by Arun, Mysore - Masinagudi - Kalhatty is always the quickest. Do note that Kalhatty ghat has some steep curves and if you are not very comfortable with narrow steep curvers (check youtube for videos), you can take Mysore - Gudalur route and visit pykara on the way.

Quote:
What would be good food places to stop along the way?
Entire mysore road stretch has many many options. Check the BLR - Mysore thread for details. If you are starting from North Bangalore, you can take the Nelamangala - Nagamangala - Pandavapura route to avoid Mysore road and weekend rush on it.

Quote:
Driving roads and photography spots
Here are some that I personally like
1. Tea gardens after sandynullah - https://goo.gl/maps/3TCMBGQ9pEWzRRNK9
2. Fernhill palace - https://goo.gl/maps/dkD6vVuY8d1FSe4bA
3. Sunset from around here - https://goo.gl/maps/85HGrQiDkLRNn8YH6
4. Emerald & Avalanche lake - https://goo.gl/maps/DsAga8WrXUS7HkxH8
5. Ketti valley viewpoint - https://goo.gl/maps/9r2bRwHT5HVRhkFe8
6. Drive towards kotagiri - multiple spots before kattabettu
7. Kotagiri & Kondanadu viewpoint

Also do check some of the ooty threads on the forum for more info.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:22   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that is the best, quickest and scenic: Mysore - Masinagudi - Kalhatty

Note that this is a one way road at the ghats and allowed towards Ooty. On return, this cannot be taken and you have to come via Gudalur.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 11:41   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The route via Mysore is the shortest and quickest.
Thanks. I'm just concerned about the traffic between Bangalore and Mysore. I've done this journey multiple times and the traffic is ususally obscene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
As suggested by Arun, Mysore - Masinagudi - Kalhatty is always the quickest. Do note that Kalhatty ghat has some steep curves and if you are not very comfortable with narrow steep curvers (check Youtube for videos), you can take Mysore - Gudalur route and visit pykara on the way.

Here are some that I personally like
1. Tea gardens after sandynullah - https://goo.gl/maps/3TCMBGQ9pEWzRRNK9
2. Fernhill palace - https://goo.gl/maps/dkD6vVuY8d1FSe4bA
3. Sunset from around here - https://goo.gl/maps/85HGrQiDkLRNn8YH6
4. Emerald & Avalanche lake - https://goo.gl/maps/DsAga8WrXUS7HkxH8
5. Ketti valley viewpoint - https://goo.gl/maps/9r2bRwHT5HVRhkFe8
6. Drive towards kotagiri - multiple spots before kattabettu
7. Kotagiri & Kondanadu viewpoint

Also do check some of the ooty threads on the forum for more info.
I've quite a bit of driving experience, even on the Ghats under my belt, so I'm looking forward to it, especially if the roads are in good condition.

We usually stop at Kamat Upachar (or is it Lokaruchi?) on the right side of the highway near Ramanagar. Do you know of any good options for Thate Idly or Bene Dosa? I wouldn't mind trying something new.

Thank you so much for the todo list. I will definitely check it out. I am really looking forward to doing some landscape photography.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:39   #2003
BHPian

Kamat Lokaruchi is ideal. For Tatte idli, you've lot of road side eateries as soon as you enter Bedadi. Today, many of the shops and establishments are closed, so Bangalore to Mysore traffic will be smooth.

Go by Masinagudi route and come back by Gudalur route. Gudalur route is scenic and has lot of tourist spots, so start early.
Old 10th November 2019, 22:01   #2004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I'm just concerned about the traffic between Bangalore and Mysore. I've done this journey multiple times and the traffic is ususally obscene.

You can try kanakapura road. Its a 2L though, but traffic is lesser when compared to the standard route.
Old 26th November 2019, 13:57   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can try kanakapura road. Its a 2L though, but traffic is lesser when compared to the standard route.
Planning to take this route soon.

Bangalore – Kanakapura – Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar – Gundlupet – Bandipur – Theppakadu – ( via Masinagudi or Gudalur ) – Ooty

General feedback I have got so far is that it is a lot better than the SH17 to Mysore ( via Mandya), even though a few sections are being widened and it could slow you down. Hope you all agree

Do you have recommendations for any good restaurants in this route - for breakfast and otherwise?? I have gone biking recently till Malavalli and couldn't find anything great.

Thanks !

Last edited by menonrajesh : 26th November 2019 at 14:10. Reason: route map image not displayed well in the forum
menonrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:48   #2006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Bangalore – Kanakapura – Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar – Gundlupet – Bandipur – Theppakadu – ( via Masinagudi or Gudalur ) – Ooty
Best bet if you are traveling from South/East BLR. Check this post (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore) for few breakfast options. You can also stop at Nijaguna, Chamarajnagar if you are ok waiting for a longer period of time before breakfast.

If you are closer to North BLR, then Nelamangala - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Bandipur - Ooty is your best bet.

Last edited by procrj : 26th November 2019 at 14:53.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 16:20   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely planning on driving out to Conoor for a spot of lunch one of the days.
One of the best places for a lunch / dinner halt would be 180McIver.

This is the same colonial villa which was used in "Kapoor and sons".

TripAdvisor link: https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...amil_Nadu.html

This 100+ year old property has been painstakingly converted into a 6 room property with a magnificent, 180 degree view of Coonoor and its surrounding hills
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-20191027_084630.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-20191027_082250.jpg  

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 26th November 2019 at 16:26.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 06:19   #2008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

General feedback I have got so far is that it is a lot better than the SH17 to Mysore ( via Mandya), even though a few sections are being widened and it could slow you down. Hope you all agree

Thanks !
Now a days it is much better to take malavalli-bannur-mysore ring road- gundlepet. No real need to take the kollegal route in terms of time or road conditions.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 23:35   #2009
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks !
Much better to take Bangalore –> Malavalli -> Bannur -> Mysore ring road(enter near Nanjangud side) -> Gundlepet -> Ooty

Good food options are only before Kanakapura, and not much beyond that till Nanjangud or a bit further at CCD@Gundulpet
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 01:07   #2010
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi,

I am planning a trip from Hyderabad towards south (myself, wife and 4 years old kid). The plan is to
Day 1: Start from Hyd on 14th and take a halt in North banglore
Day 2: Reach Mysore (using Manglore Highway)
Day 3 : Explore Mysore
Day 4 - 7 : Not yet decided (and need advice between Ooty, Coorg and Wayanad)
Day 8 - 9: Return to Hyd

Ooty is the first preference appearing (I am looking for kid centric activities) but i am scared of the traffic jam situation going by multiple posts here. Will there by traffic jam in Ooty during weekdays around 17-20th Dec?

Would Coorg or Wayanad be better from traffic sense. If not Ooty then which one is next suggested from kids engagement point of view.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks