Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2021, 13:53   #2101
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
If required you can do the e-registration on the spot as well, provided you have network coverage. I think recently you crossed TN border via hosur, its the same process.
I didn't do it then, but this time I will do it because the TN government site clearly calls out that it is necessary for travel to hill stations like Nilgiris, Yeacaud, etc.
Old 20th February 2021, 15:33   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks for your responses.
Going by previous posts, I think one needs to do the e-registration to avoid any possible harassment by the guys manning the checkpost ? Did you travel recently ?
Yes NPV. Just last weekend, I used that route to come back from Coonoor. I was not even stopped for anything. Mine is a KA number and I was getting into KA from TN.

Have a good trip.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 12:26   #2103
BHPian

E pass or E registration documents were never checked when leaving from Coonoor/Ooty. They were /are checked only when you enter the Nilgiris.
hydtraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:32   #2104
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here who took the safari at Mudumalai recently ? Please do share your experience.

I have a planned visit+stay at Bandipur, thinking about a morning safari at Mudumalai before returning to Bangalore. Maybe Gopalswamy Betta as well on the way back, if it's open and not crowded.
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:09   #2105
Distinguished - BHPian

Do KA residents need any ePass or negative reports to go to Ooty/Coonoor and come back? Thinking of a Nilgiris trip soon hence asking.
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:41   #2106

Hi All,

Travelling from Bellandur Bangalore to Coonoor on Thursday morning. Planning to start early but confused weather to take the mysore road or go via Hosur-Mettur route.

Can someone help make an informed decision based on

1) I'm using a self drive Innova, as my Ecosport can only seat 5 and we are 6. Have not done hairpin bend earlier, how good or bad is it to do in a car that's you don't know like your own

2) We do have parents, both senior citizen, and a kid is mysore road suitable?

3) based on both the route what will be my entry point for TN entry when I apply e pass

4) I read about hold-ups and random covid swab test when entering through Bandipur, will it lead to issues even on a Thursday? Last what's the travel time I can expect, factoring in any hold-ups on borders

Long query, and might include some basic question, please excuse as I'm not too familiar with the area and routes and this is a last minute plan
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:44   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do KA residents need any ePass or negative reports to go to Ooty/Coonoor and come back? Thinking of a Nilgiris trip soon hence asking.
You will require an e-registration for the visit. You should be able to apply for one and get it almost instantly.
https://eregister.tnega.org/

I'll try to answer some of the questions to the best of my knowledge. Other experienced BHPians might be able to help with better suggestions, and answer your other questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldest_monk View Post
1) I'm using a self drive Innova, as my Ecosport can only seat 5 and we are 6. Have not done hairpin bend earlier, how good or bad is it to do in a car that's you don't know like your own
There are two aspects to consider here. The TN e-registration system allows a maximum of driver + 4 passengers in an Innova type vehicle. So, 6 people in an Innova is going to cause you issues at the point of e-pass check on entry to TN. I'm not sure how strict are the checks when you enter Tamil Nadu through Hosur, and then enter Nilgiris district.
If you are unfamiliar with driving through hairpin bends, but would prefer the Bandipur route, you could consider the Bangalore - Mysore - Gudalur - Ooty - Coonoor route. This route has gentle turns and not many hairpin bends (at least till Ooty) and would be easier, if you are driving a car that you are not too familiar with.
I've driven this route in October/November of 2020 for both the onward and the return journey. Others might have better insights on the Hosur-Mettur route.

Quote:
3) based on both the route what will be my entry point for TN entry when I apply e pass
For the purposes of e-pass, if you are entering through Bandipur, your district of entry would be Nilgiris, and your point of entry would be Kakkanallah. If you are entering through Hosur, your district of entry would be Krishnagiri, and your point of entry would be Zuzuvadi.

Take care and safe travels.

Last edited by FlashMustang : 2nd March 2021 at 20:46. Reason: Edited for better clarity
FlashMustang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:34   #2108

Thanks this is helpful, I'm sticking to Bandipur route and taking the slightly longer route post Bandipur to avoid the hairpin bends. This is helpful.

Just wondering how to solve the 5+1 permit issue now, if anyone travelled in Innova with 6 passenger or I'm a 5 seater car with 5 passenger please do share your experience.

I'm assuming the issue is only at border crossing and not for travel within TN and Nilgiris. In that case one of us can take public transportation to cross the border, does that require permit too?
Old 7th March 2021, 19:55   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering how to solve the 5+1 permit issue now, if anyone travelled in Innova with 6 passenger or I'm a 5 seater car with 5 passenger please do share your experience.
The e-pass/e-registration allows for driver +3 in a 5 seater car and for 7 seaters and above driver+4, but I don't think they're checking for it very seriously.

Quote:
I'm assuming the issue is only at border crossing and not for travel within TN and Nilgiris. In that case one of us can take public transportation to cross the border, does that require permit too?
You will need e-registration to travel into the Niligiri district from other parts of TN as well. As far as I know, they are only checking if you have a registration. I'm not sure of the Gudalur situation since I have not come back through that route after the Covid restrictions kicked in. The Burliar check post is kind of stringent but the Kunjapannai one is sort of lax. The checks at the Kakkanala checkpost was rather stringent when I tracelled back last month. They have been checking vehicles for liquor much before the pandemic.

Do let me know if you need any help.
Old 8th March 2021, 13:49   #2110

There is no option for two wheelers/Bikers entering the nigiris. Do bikers also need to register and if yes, how do we do it ?

Any help on the route or how to register is appreciated.

We are going from Bangalore to Kotagiri. We will be taking the Bangalore - Dharmapuri - metur - sathyamangalam - mettupalyam - kotagiri route.

Thanks.
Old 13th March 2021, 20:32   #2111
BHPian

Traveled to Ooty Via Bangalore >> Mysore >> Bandipur >> Theppakadu >> Gudalur >> Ooty

Theppakadu >> Gudalur >> Ooty Road is in excellent condition except few small patches of couple of meters.

At TN border only E Registration was checked.
im_chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 08:18   #2112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovenkat View Post
There is no option for two wheelers/Bikers entering the nigiris. Do bikers also need to register and if yes, how do we do it ?
TN e-Regstration process has option for for two wheelers @ https://eregister.tnega.org/

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-capture.jpg
Old 14th March 2021, 12:41   #2113
BHPian

Travelling to Ooty on the 16th via Theppakadu. Was Covid test done at the border, Chandan ? How long did it take to cross the TN border post?
Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 15:18   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
Travelling to Ooty on the 16th via Theppakadu. Was Covid test done at the border, Chandan ? How long did it take to cross the TN border post?
Thanks
No Covid test done at the TN border, they were only checking ePasses. it took 1 min to cross the checkpoint, they charged 30/- as entry fee .
im_chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:40   #2115
BHPian

Thanks Chandan. Will update in a couple of days.

Most Viewed