Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:59   #2176

Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I came back from Ooty yesterday.
While going to Ooty, we had created e-pass, they just asked if fully vaccinated and let us go without any kind of checking. No vaccination or RTPCR was asked for kids. Only 5 minutes long queue was there when we entered around 1 pm. If one is travelling with family and e-pass there is not much checking done.
We took usual Bangalore-Mandya-Mysore -Masinagudi route and it took around 7 hours to reach Ooty with breakfast stopover. Route was just fine ( less traffic and decent road conditions despite diversions till Mysore).

While returning back to Bangalore (Sunday, around 4:30 pm) , there was absolutely no one at checkpost to ask for reports or vaccine certificates. Lot of elephants , deers , peacocks were spotted. Overall good hastle free trip for us
Old 15th January 2022, 07:27   #2177
BHPian

I have been a frequent user of the Bangalore Mysore road owing to family in Mysore. After 9 years of driving this route, the penny dropped for me yesterday when I suffered a chipped windshield on my brand new Tucson because of an errant truck and a rogue stone chip. This happened in Mandya while en route from Mysore to Bangalore. The ongoing expressway construction work is infuriating and on days when traffic builds up, this regular route is not enjoyable at all. Too many trucks and tractors carrying construction material.

Fortunately, I was to return to Mysore yesterday and I was determined to find a more hassle free rout even if it took more time. I am glad to share I found the answer. This route is perfect if you happen to live in/around North Bangalore with quick access to Tumkur Road.

Bangalore > Nelamangala > (turn left to join Shimoga/Hassan/Mangalore highway) Kunigal > Yadiyur > Nelligere/Bellur cross (turn left) > Nagamangala > Pandavapura > Srirangapatna (join the normal Mysore road here) > Mysore.

Barring a tight narrow stretch of 15 km or so from Pandavapura to Srirangapatna (it brought back memories of the road from Kolkata to Taki), the rest of the road is superb.

Up to Bellur cross is the amazing 4 lane road with lots of places to stop and refresh. I lost count of the number of restaurants.

The road from Nelligere/Bellur Cross towards Nagamangala is a beautiful 2 lane road. Quite manageable with smooth tarmac, scenic views. Not as many restaurants but that's OK.

Have shared pics of both stretches for reference. Covered the route in pure drive time of 3 hours after clearing the Parle G factory toll gate on Tumkur road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img20220114wa0050.jpg  

Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries-img20220114wa0033.jpg  

Pyrotek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 11:06   #2178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post

Bangalore > Nelamangala > (turn left to join Shimoga/Hassan/Mangalore highway) Kunigal > Yadiyur > Nelligere/Bellur cross (turn left) > Nagamangala > Pandavapura > Srirangapatna (join the normal Mysore road here) > Mysore.
If one stays close to Magadi Road side, at some point in time, Magadi-Huliyurdurga-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna will be a nice 2L option. I don't think its that far away in time when this entire stretch to Nagamanagala is fixed.

A couple of years back it was quite broken. I hope in these 1.5-2 years, its slowly coming back to life.

But yes carry your own tea coffee and snacks.

Last edited by ampere : 15th January 2022 at 11:10.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:45   #2179
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone driven on Kanakapura road (between city and Harohalli atleast) over the weekend ? Is there any checking / restrictions due to the weekend curfew ?
Old 15th January 2022, 20:44   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post

Bangalore > Nelamangala > (turn left to join Shimoga/Hassan/Mangalore highway) Kunigal > Yadiyur > Nelligere/Bellur cross (turn left) > Nagamangala > Pandavapura > Srirangapatna (join the normal Mysore road here) >
This has been the recommended route to Mysore ever since the Bangalore Mysore Expressway work started. It's 50 kms more but stress free, scenic and smooth. Yes last few kms are narrow and busy but a small price to pay.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 17:54   #2181
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to update my query above:

Relaxed drive. Some barricades, but generally people have stayed away, and the cops were relaxed too. May be it helped that I went out at lunch time, and returned before dusk.

Note:
no joy rides these. I had valid passes during the two lockdowns since covid started.
Old 16th January 2022, 21:05   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Note:
no joy rides these. I had valid passes during the two lockdowns since covid started.
Do we still have such a thing called pass that enables us to travel? If so, what pass are you referring to and how and where did you apply and who provided with one?

Or, you are referring to a letter issued by an agency (Govt or Private) where you or your family members are associated/employed that mentions that you need to travel.

I remember that issue of any such passes was stopped during the time Delta wave picked up last year and we went into lockdown mode again.

I have mostly stayed indoors during weekend except that an hour back I ventured out to a grocery store and noticed that though cops were present at an entry point, they had compressed the collapsable barricades and traffic was hence free flowing.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 21:28   #2183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Do we still have such a thing called pass that enables us to travel?
Since there is no lockdown at this time, there is no such thing as a pass at this time. I had mentioned about passes in the note - only to qualify that I was not on a joy-ride.
Old 16th January 2022, 21:34   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Since there is no lockdown at this time, there is no such thing as a pass at this time. I had mentioned about passes in the note - only to qualify that I was not on a joy-ride.
I remember that because passes were done away with from 2nd lockdown itself.

However since you mentioned about passes in your post, I easily mistook that for you having a such a "valid pass" even today and that was helping your commute. I think all of us now have forgotten what a pass is and a sudden reference to that made me curious.

So in summary, you stepped out during a lockdown today just like few of us did due to an important personal errand and have just shared your experience .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 21:04   #2185
BHPian

Has anyone traveled to Ooty last week? How are the restrictions there?
Old 1st February 2022, 18:20   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
Has anyone traveled to Ooty last week? How are the restrictions there?
Travelled to Ooty on 28th Jan, followed Mysore Road from Electronic City - started at about 5:45 AM, so traffic was pretty much low (esp because it was a week day). Vax certificates were checked at Kakanallah check post; no mention about any requirement for kids. Masinagudi route is blocked and we only have Gudalur route to take.

Travelled back to Bangalore on 30 Jan, started at 11:00 AM from Ooty and followed the Pandavapura, Bellur Cross, Kunigal, route. Good roads all through and just took about 30 min more than the route that I took on 28th Jan. Traffic within Mysore city was a small irritant but not too much.
jphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:29   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled to Ooty on 28th Jan .... Vax certificates were checked at Kakanallah check post; no mention about any requirement for kids.
Travelled back to Bangalore on 30 Jan
Thanks for the update.
We are planning to travel on this route next week. Couple of questions
1. Was epass required to enter TN?
2. Any kind of check while entering back to Karnataka?
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:19   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Thanks for the update.
We are planning to travel on this route next week. Couple of questions
1. Was epass required to enter TN?
2. Any kind of check while entering back to Karnataka?
I had an e-pass ready, but it was not checked. The policeman at the checkpost just asked for Vax certificates while entering TN.

Nothing at all while entering back to Karnataka. Typical checks for alcohol etc, might be on, but I was not stopped.
Old 4th February 2022, 13:33   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled to Ooty on 28th Jan, followed Mysore Road from Electronic City - started at about 5:45 AM, so traffic was pretty much low (esp because it was a week day). Vax certificates were checked at Kakanallah check post; no mention about any requirement for kids. Masinagudi route is blocked and we only have Gudalur route to take.

Travelled back to Bangalore on 30 Jan, started at 11:00 AM from Ooty and followed the Pandavapura, Bellur Cross, Kunigal, route. Good roads all through and just took about 30 min more than the route that I took on 28th Jan. Traffic within Mysore city was a small irritant but not too much.
Any suggested hotels in Ooty? MakeMyTrip is showing glyngarth and sterling resorts. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion about them?
Old 4th February 2022, 13:50   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Any suggested hotels in Ooty? MakeMyTrip is showing glyngarth and sterling resorts. Just wondering if anyone has any opinion about them?
We stayed at Kings Cliff, Ooty - very nice property, old British bungalow style and has fireplace in the rooms.

Most Viewed