Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 14:44   #16
BHPian

@Suvi, All the best ! I am planning for an early start from Mysore and as i visited Ooty quite a few times before (Not in a Self-Driven Car), this time I thought of exploring "Road Less Travelled kid of Places" like Avalanche , Tiger Shola , Upper Bhavani etc (Browsing the net to find more info on these places).
@Ketan, Your suggestions are really helpful . I may go to Madheswara Beta (M.M Hills) this week-end and let me see how it goes !! . M.M hills is relatively shorter for me as i am from Mysore !
Old 7th March 2008, 21:15   #17
BHPian

Well, the Masinagudi road though good is small upto the Ghat, you'll need to getoff the road onto the gravel to let a vehicle pass/overtake. Take care while getting off, as the road edges are steep.

The first sequence of hairpins (2 of them) are steep. You can slot into 1st and crawl through them. The others are not that steep, you can manage in 2nd.
While coming down DO NOT SWITCH OFF the engine. You can easily cruise in 3rd/2nd. Stop once or twice because your brakes may heat up.

To workout you can go to Chamundi Hills, do not use the regular road. Go from Nanjangud road, where the Mysore Hill Climb was held or go to Karighatta, near to Srirangapatna. It is hillock, with a temple on top. The road is small and full of hairpins (PM me if you need more details).
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2008, 08:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
While coming down DO NOT SWITCH OFF the engine. You can easily cruise in 3rd/2nd. Stop once or twice because your brakes may heat up.
What do you mean by Switch off the engine? Hope you know that in present day cars in the switch-off mode, brakes and power steering will not work.

And mind you forget about 3rd gear. Dont ever cross 2nd gear while descent otherwise you will loose your brakes after coming down.

Abhi
Old 8th March 2008, 09:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by Switch off the engine? Hope you know that in present day cars in the switch-off mode, brakes and power steering will not work.
Yep, precisely that's what i meant. A friend of mine switched off his engine during desecent and his Santro was smoking by the time he got down.

Quote:
And mind you forget about 3rd gear. Dont ever cross 2nd gear while descent otherwise you will loose your brakes after coming down.
Yep, i went to first in some places...
Old 8th March 2008, 13:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, precisely that's what i meant. A friend of mine switched off his engine during desecent and his Santro was smoking by the time he got down.
Still I fail to understand how did he got down, coz the brakes doesnt work when engine is off. You cannot come down without brakes atleast in Masinagudi descent.

My Alto doesnt even stop when I tried in a small incline in a the OMR shell pump, I had to put handbrake.

Abhi
Old 8th March 2008, 13:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forget the car, he's lucky to be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Still I fail to understand how did he got down, coz the brakes doesnt work when engine is off. You cannot come down without brakes atleast in Masinagudi descent.
You mean the Kalhatti ghat descent? Masinagudi is a town in Madhumalai, which is reached after coming a long way from the ghat.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 8th March 2008, 15:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Forget the car, he's lucky to be alive.
Exactly that is what I am surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu
You mean the Kalhatti ghat descent? Masinagudi is a town in Madhumalai, which is reached after coming a long way from the ghat.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, I meant the Kalahatti Ghat (36 hairpin bends) road.

Abhi
Old 8th March 2008, 16:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
That was a few years back, i guess he was using the old Santro. Pardon me, i do not know much of engine mechanics or brakes, i have seen with engine off the brakes and steering become harder to operate and are less effective, but the vehicle does respond.

Anyway, i guess he was extremely lucky considering the descent of Kalhatti Ghat.
Old 9th March 2008, 19:17   #24
BHPian

Thanks GpsyFreak for your advice. I already been to Chamundi Hills twice and I felt comfortable.

And as I said few posts earlier, I visited M.M Hills this saturday and shortly I will be posting the travelogue on our travelogue section . 27 Hair Pin bends with bad roads that too in peak of Festive Season (Maha Shiv rathiri) and after driving with 5 buses following up or 10 buses coming in opposite Direction, it's a good learning experience and now I think I am set for the Masinagudi - Ooty Ghat section.
Old 10th March 2008, 09:38   #25
BHPian

Any information on reliable bunks on this route? Is Shell/Reliance available?
Old 10th March 2008, 10:05   #26
BHPian

After Mysore, I have seen one or 2 Essar Gas stations and hmmm No, I don't remember Seeing Shell / Reliance on the way !.

After Mysore, Petrol Stations are in T.Narsipura and Kollegala and after that I don't remember seeing any brand of Petrol Stations until M.M Hills!
Old 10th March 2008, 10:10   #27
BHPian

I did Nandi Hills yesterday as recommended in this forum. it is a cake walk and M800 could climb in 3rd gear easily (except in a couple of hair pin bends where i did down shift for better control). After Chamundi temple (both from Mysore and Nanjungud), Tirumala and Nandi Hills as practice (though all of them are very easy), i am looking forward to the 36 Hair pin Bend ascent eagerly.

The new Bangalore airport takes 1.5 hrs from south Bangalore on Sunday morning. i recommend Electronics City fellows going to chennai for Visa to drive down rather than fly. it will take same time
Old 14th March 2008, 10:50   #28
BHPian

Khalahatti ghat section

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvelu View Post
@Suvi, All the best ! I am planning for an early start from Mysore and as i visited Ooty quite a few times before (Not in a Self-Driven Car), this time I thought of exploring "Road Less Travelled kid of Places" like Avalanche , Tiger Shola , Upper Bhavani etc (Browsing the net to find more info on these places).
@Ketan, Your suggestions are really helpful . I may go to Madheswara Beta (M.M Hills) this week-end and let me see how it goes !! . M.M hills is relatively shorter for me as i am from Mysore !
Did you make the trip PMVelu? The ghat section is a piece of cake if you do it in the day time. And a lot of fun as well. You may have to slot in 1st gear a couple of times if you dont have momentum, but do not hesitate to do that else you'll stall and it will be a nightmare after that. When I drove up, there was a Ford Ikon guy who caused me jitters as he stalled and stopped at a bend. Was trying to go up and he had a tough time causing a pile up below.

You wont understand the steepness while climbing. It is while coming down your heart will skip a beat looking at the descent. But it is fun and anyday I will take that road again. No worries at all.

Have a safe and fun filled trip. I did stay at Monarch for a night and it is a nice place.

Nainar
Old 14th March 2008, 11:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update on the Gudalur route: It starts off with stunning curves from the Ooty side but becomes a village track within about 10 km. Add the buses and trucks and it's a complete nightmare! The views are breathtaking but the road more than destroys the experience.

Stick to Masinagudi (Kalhatti Ghats) route.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
You wont understand the steepness while climbing. It is while coming down your heart will skip a beat looking at the descent. But it is fun and anyday I will take that road again. No worries at all.
Ohh.. I only did uphill in this section. Thought it would be easy to downhill and left it to my friend. If known before about this thrill, would have definitely got behind the wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks