Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries

Planning on a trip to Gokarn, from Bangalore. It would be great if anyone can update me on the curent condition of the roads. Route plan is:

Bangalore - (NH4) Tumkur - (NH 206) Gubbi - (NH 206) Tiptur - (NH 206) Arsikere - (NH 206) Kadur - (NH 206) Tarikere - (NH206) Bhadravati - (NH206) Shimoga - (NH206) Sagar - (NH206) Honavar - (NH17) Kumta - Gokarn

Also, if someone can give me some "Good To Know" info on hotels, and otherwise, it would be great. I'll be travelling with my wife and mom.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th March 2008, 14:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Planning on a trip to Gokarn, from Bangalore. It would be great if anyone can update me on the curent condition of the roads. Route plan is:

Bangalore - (NH4) Tumkur - (NH 206) Gubbi - (NH 206) Tiptur - (NH 206) Arsikere - (NH 206) Kadur - (NH 206) Tarikere - (NH206) Bhadravati - (NH206) Shimoga - (NH206) Sagar - (NH206) Honavar - (NH17) Kumta - Gokarn

Also, if someone can give me some "Good To Know" info on hotels, and otherwise, it would be great. I'll be travelling with my wife and mom.

Thanks in advance
Hi unni,
The route is the shortest n the best from Bangalore as of now. Total distance of 500kms approx.
Try out SwaSwara in gokarna, If you are on a budget then definetely NO to this hotel
Swaswara Resort, Gokarna, Karnataka
Happy journey
Old 5th March 2008, 15:54   #3
BHPian

This is the route we took when we drove from Bangalore to Gokarna and back. That was in late 2006.

Quote:
We stayed in a hotel called Gokarna International. Not a great one or of International type, but a pretty decent one.

Quote:
Regards
Rex
Old 5th March 2008, 16:23   #4
BHPian

Gokrna Hotels

If u want to enjoy a Good stay,the Gokrna International people have a hotel on Kudle beach thats near Om beach maybe 5 or 6 kms from Gokrna a Very good place to stay.
Old 5th March 2008, 16:47   #5
BHPian

Hey i had been to gokarna last dec end.Most of the route is good except about 30odd kms before shimoga.the car was mostly in 2nd gear with bone rattling bumps in d road.Apart from that the road was really nice and very beautiful..
Old 5th March 2008, 20:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

The route you have choosen is right one.

Already summer heat started in coastal area, so Gokarna is nothing different right now. But still couple of weeks will be not that hot.

I suggest you drive down to Kumta on first day and stay in Panduranga International which is next to highway NH17, very good hotel with accomadation.

Swa swara is excellant except for not so good water available there, its costly because its resort.

In gokarna you can find budget hotels.

If you visit just for the day ( I feel more than 1 day is enough to see gokarna ) I suggest you stay in Kumta and early morning drive down to gokarna (30 min drive) and come back Kumta by evening.

Alternate route will be NH4 via Chitradurga, haveri , sirsi , mirjan, gokarna. i heard road repair work going on so NH4 should be better than before.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th March 2008, 20:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
We stayed in a hotel called Gokarna International. Not a great one or of International type, but a pretty decent one.
Here is the link to a 'travelogue' I did after our trip: Road Trip to Gokarna - the Coastal Temple Town

Regards
Rex
Old 6th March 2008, 13:04   #8
BHPian

sushrutha - I did check the website and its obscenely expensive!!! Some day maybe!!! But thanks for the suggestion anyways... you are right abt the distance its just under 500kms, around 480kms.

rex - Thanks for the tavelogue link. Its great.

reddy - Thanks for the tip on the hotel on kudle beach. I'll check up with the Gokarna Int people on that.

princezahed - I'll keep this in mind. Will update u if there are any changes in road conditions.

Ravi - U've indeed opened a new option altogether. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2008 at 13:38. Reason: u r = you are. Please type in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2008, 14:54   #9

When are you planning to go??
Old 7th March 2008, 16:08   #10
BHPian

Globetrotter- Planning to leave for Gokarn on 15th, around 4am. And back by 17th eve, in time for office. Care to join enroute?
Old 13th March 2008, 00:48   #11
BHPian

Hi Unni,

The route you have taken is the best . As princezahed mentioned earlier the roads between Bhadravati and Shimoga is gone to dogs (a very bad patch and i think it is little more than 30km). Do not take the Bangalore-Mangalore-Gokarna route as it is very long distance and the roads are even more horrible.

As you are leaving at 4AM you can have your breakfast in Tumkur (the famous thatte idli) and lunch at a restaurant called MASALA (You get it on the left hand side just before Kadur). You get good food there. In Gokarna, you can stay in Gokarna International or Shivaprasad lodge (both are not that great but are affordable and decent enough). There is a new lodge which has opened up very close to the Shiva temple there (its on the left side while going to the temple) but i am not sure about the rates there.

Looking at your previous post it seems that you are on a tight schedule. If you can extend a little bit (by a day) then you can visit Halebidu, Tyavarekoppa safari, Jog falls on the way to Gokarna. You can go to Murdeshwar (you need to take a left as soon as you reach Honnavar circle and it is ONLY around 40 km from Honnavar) and then go to Gokarna (if you are planning to go to Murdeshwar after going to Gokarna you will have to travel around 90 kms one way.
Old 13th March 2008, 20:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you leave by 4AM I suggest have lunch at Sagar, the hotel is decent which offers non veg food as well. You can reach Sagar by 12:15PM with 45 minutes break in between and hit Gokarna by 3:30PM very easily. That day evening itself you can spend 2 hrs. in Om beech Gokarna.

If you leave by 5 or 6AM then have lunch at Shimoga lot of confusing hotels are there. I feel Jewel rock is good hotel inside shimoga city although there are lot of hotels available.

Take Shimoga route while going and Sirsi -> Haveri - chitradurga nh4 while hedaing back.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 19th March 2008, 20:25   #13
BHPian

Ravi,

I'm planning a trip to Jog. What is the approximate distance/time required to Shimoga? Any information on the stretch from Shimoga to Jog? We will be travelling with our 17 month old son.
Old 19th March 2008, 22:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Ravi,

I'm planning a trip to Jog. What is the approximate distance/time required to Shimoga? Any information on the stretch from Shimoga to Jog? We will be travelling with our 17 month old son.
hey Cblazer the road from shimoga to jog falls was pretty ok when i travelled there during the new year.as for the time required to reach shimoga from bangalore,it should be around 5-6hrs on an average if conditions are normal without too many pitstops.but then again i dont know which car your going in.i did my trip in an alto.be safe buddy and enjoy thoroughy.
Old 20th March 2008, 05:28   #15
BHPian

Bangalore - Shimoga is about 280 Kms and will take you approx 5-6 hrs with a couple of break - Roads to watch is Arsikere - Kadur there has been road widening happening here and the work was on even during my last drive in Dec 07; Birur - Tarikere; the last 8 Kms before you hit Tarikere is a very bad stretch with huge craters, Tarikere - Bhadravathi - here too you will hit a bad strech for about 20-25 Kms suggest you take the by-pass on left before you hit Bhadravathi town there is a small board with directions; the road is not in a great shape but better than going through Bhadravathi. Last stretch between Bhadravathi to Shimoga too has developed huge craters. Shimoga - Jog is a good stretch. Drive Safely and have a great journey ahead.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 20th March 2008 at 05:28. Reason: Quote removed

Most Viewed