Team-BHP - Car transportation in India via Railways / Trucks / Air Freight
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Car transportation in India via Railways / Trucks / Air Freight (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/36477-car-transportation-india-via-railways-trucks-air-freight.html)

Guys,

Does anyone know if a car can be airfreighted in a container or otherwise from one metro city to another in India. I know it used to be done in the past. If anyone has any info on who provides that service and their contact details.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 512822)
Guys,

Does anyone know if a car can be airfreighted in a container or otherwise from one metro city to another in India. I know it used to be done in the past. If anyone has any info on who provides that service and their contact details.

Viper

From Where To _______ ??

I know what it costs for a car to be trucked in a container from one metro to another. It's expensive.
Airfreighting a car from one metro to another will cost a couple of lacs at least. Why would you want to airfreight it?

Hi Sam,

Dont think its that expensive. Trucking a car from Mumbai to Kolkatta is Rs13k odd in a car carrier and approx 35-45k in a personal container truck.

I could be wrong though and it could run into a couple of lacs. Exploring this option as time is an issue. Road transport takes approx 10-12 days in a car carrier.

@ Mugen - Mumbai to Kolkatta.

Viper

We had air-freighted our car from Assam to Kerala in 1986.
Not sure if it is done nowadays - someone on the forum mentioned in some other thread that today's aircraft dont have the space or something.
Will check with my Dad if his colleagues are still using this way of transportation.

It should definitely be an option. Give Air India a call. they have cargo division and should be able to give you a figure on the costs.

However, a car will be classified as dangerous cargo (due to the oils/fuel etc) hence you end up paying a hefty surcharge for that as well.

Trucking it in a 20ft container is the best option if you are not in a hurry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 512835)
I know what it costs for a car to be trucked in a container from one metro to another. It's expensive.
Airfreighting a car from one metro to another will cost a couple of lacs at least. Why would you want to airfreight it?

We use to send our machine to Far eastern countries last time we send the machine it was weighting 38 tons and total freight was about 4 lacs.from my factory which in Freedabad to Mumbai by truck and then from Mumbai port to Saudi Arabia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 512837)
Hi Sam,

Dont think its that expensive. Trucking a car from Mumbai to Kolkatta is Rs13k odd in a car carrier and approx 35-45k in a personal container truck.

Yes baba. I am talking about placing your car in a container and sending it. Aren't you? So if it costs 40K by truck, surely it'll be a couple of lacs by plane?
Which is why we normally truck cars up and down.

But I am MOST eager to hear how much it costs to fly down a car from Delhi to Bangalore for example. It is of supreme significance to me.

Edit: I've just asked my logistics guys to find out. Answer will be in soon.

Train costs around 20K and takes 5 days from BLR to Delhi. Similar timeframe should be from Mumbai to Calcutta.
Air will cost atleast 2 lakh+

Why don't you check with air cargo companies like Jet Cargo

Recently one of my friends moved his car from Delhi to Malda in West Bengal (1800 odd KMs). He paid a driver 8K (this included fuel costs), who drove it from Delhi to Malda.

\N

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntomer (Post 512892)
Recently one of my friends moved his car from Delhi to Malda in West Bengal (1800 odd KMs). He paid a driver 8K (this included fuel costs), who drove it from Delhi to Malda.

\N

i think driving is out of the question for the car

They replied.

Blue Dart is willing to air freight the car. The cost is about 1.5 lac and commitment time is 3 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 512932)
They replied.

Blue Dart is willing to air freight the car. The cost is about 1.5 lac and commitment time is 3 days.

Give 50 grand to one of our budding race drivers and ensure you are insured to the hilt and it will arrive in the same time

As per my limited understanding , Only Indian airliines would fly a car down that too only a maruti 800 a couple of years back in a Airbus 300 , Currently there are no wide bodied planes that fly within the country ( larger than the A300 ) that can carry a car.

Even blue dart in my opinion will have limitations on the size of the car they can carry..