Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2008, 13:04   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Kumarakom route

Hi,
I am planning a road trip to Kerala for 17 days in my scorpio from Hyderabad.

Can you please sugget the route from Hyderabad to Kumarakom that I can take with the road conditions for the same? Alternate routes are most welcome as well.

Thanks,
Prabin.
Old 8th March 2008, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Hosur-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore-Trissur-Kochi-Kumarakom

Alternative route:
Hyderabad-Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Thekkady-Kottayam-Kumarakom

Allow for overnight halt at Bangalore/Salem (Route 1)
In Route 2, you have the option of stopping over at Thekkady on Day 2 en route Kumarkom.
Old 8th March 2008, 16:23   #3
BANNED

Boy... I am so confused, editing and re-editing this reply, so will put my recommendations for the last leg first.

(recommended last leg)
Once in Ernakulam (Edappally byepass junction, on NH47) , follow NH 47 Byepass, turn to left at Vytilla (5km ex Edappally), and Thripunithura (5 KM from Vytilla) - Poothotta (12 from Vytilla), Vaikom (11 KM from first bridge at Poothotta), and then on to Kumarakom (18KM from Poothotta).
(/recommended last leg)

(option for last leg)
You can also byepass Ernakulam and go via MC road. For this, you reach Trichur, take NH 47, and turn left off NH 47 at Angamaly. This is where the MC road starts. You will take the Kalady - Perumbavoor - Muvattupuzha - Koothattukulam - Ettumanoor - Kottayam - Kumarakom route. I would not recommend this route, because roads after Muvattupuzha are bad, and Ettumanoor - Kottayam sector is heavy with traffic and 2 lanes throughout. The surface from Angamaly to Muvattupuzha is excellent, though.
(/option for last leg)

If you are taking one of the options which take you to Calicut and bring you to NH 17, you should turn off NH 17 from Kunnamkulam and rejoin NH 47 at Trichur to reach Angamaly, if you want to bye pass Ernakulam, and take the MC road.

(leg 1)
You have two options here - I am not sure which you will want to take. I guess you should reach either Chittoor or Bangalore. I have no clue about how you reach Bangalore or Chittoor, or which is easier for you.
(/leg 1)

(leg 2)
Sooooooo many options here, if you choose to come via Bangalore.

First, if you reach Chittoor (AP), go on to Vellore and take GQ to Krishnagiri. From Krishnagiri, you can take NH 47 throughout, or take Mettur - Bhavani and rejoin NH 47 at Avinashi (before Coimbatore). Krishnagiri - Kerala sector is discussed to death on the other threads - search the forum for threads on routes from Bangalore to Kerala.

The other options for the B'lore - Kerala route are via Wynad. These generally bring you to NH 17 at Calicut. You will have to reach Kunnamkulam on this leg. At Kunnamkulam, you decide if you want to by pass Ernakulam, and go via Angamaly.

But, if you reach Shornur, (probably through one of the routes which bring you to Perintalmanna), come to Trichur and join NH 47...
(/leg 2)

Now, go back to the top, and read the "recommended last leg" part.
Old 8th March 2008, 20:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

To take BackSeatDriver's suggestions further, you can also come from Hyderabad to Chittoor as follows:
Hyderabad - Kurnool - Panyam - Kadapa - Rayachoti - Chitoor - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Salem
Old 17th March 2008, 11:42   #5
BHPian

Hotels between Krishnagiri and Coimbatore for night halt

Thanks for your replies. I am planning to start early morning (6am) from Hyderabad this Thu i.e. 20th Mar and take the following route:

I will certainly go by "BaCkSeAtDrIVeR" suggestion for the last leg of my journey.

If I start from HYD at 6:00 am I assume that I need to take a overnight halt between Krishnagiri and Coimbatore depending on how are the road conditions and how long my 20 month old son in a car seat lets me drive

Can you please suggest some good hotels on the road side (or with few kms of deviation) between Krishnagiri and coimbatore for the night halt?

Please note that I am planning to take Hosur-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore route. Do you suggest that I go to Salem and take a overnight halt there? Is the road condition via Salem is very good and the additional (not sure how many) KMs justified?

Thanks.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
I will certainly go by "BaCkSeAtDrIVeR" suggestion for the last leg of my journey.
Believe me, take his suggestions. All the Kerala tbhp guys are really helpful and will be really happy to know you more. I am telling you this based on my experience of having met them in person/having talked to them over phone just about a month and a half back.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:05   #7
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm planning for a similar trip with my wife. My concern are two things.

The first is whether there would be any problem with the RTA coz we will be crossing two states with a AP registered vehicle.

My second concern is that the vehicle is registered in the name of my mother. So will that be a problem?

Eagerly awaiting for your answers.
Old 17th March 2008, 19:07   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Can you please suggest some good hotels on the road side (or with few kms of deviation) between Krishnagiri and coimbatore for the night halt?

Please note that I am planning to take Hosur-Mettur-Bhavani-Coimbatore route. Do you suggest that I go to Salem and take a overnight halt there? Is the road condition via Salem is very good and the additional (not sure how many) KMs justified?
If you reach Krishnagiri after 6 PM, you may be better off staying at Krishnagiri or surroundings. There is a "Hotel Tamilnad" on the GQ junction where Salem-Krishnagiri and Bangalore - Krishnagiri and Vellore - Krishnagiri roads join. It is about 100 M off the junction, on the Vellore (Chennai) road. Look on your left as you are comming from Vellore - or turn left and start looking towards right if coming from B'lore. I think it is a TTDC hotel - good for its average food, but not sure of stay since I think it has a bar on the premises. You may be better off PM'ing B'lore based people. I think there are better options mentioned here which are situated on B'lore side about 15 Km before Krishnagiri.

Based on reports here that Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimby is being widened, I will not recommend driving via Salem after sunset - especially since four laning is going on.

(conspirational tone on)
Want to spend an extra day?
See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...amil-nadu.html
(conspirational tone off)

@saleem_k - no assurances about the RTA not creating problems for you. But you are within your rights if you are using a white board - private registration - vehicle to any place. Kerala cops are not known to create problems for out of state private vehicles. But remember to keep your original records, and fuel bills, toll receipts, just in case any cop is hell bent on creating trouble for you.

And since the owner is your mother, there should be some ID with you, which your address and address of the registered owner as same, no?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 17th March 2008 at 19:12. Reason: Added reply to saleem_k - not intent on adding to my post count.
Old 17th March 2008, 19:51   #9
BHPian

I feel you better stay overnight in salem & then continue.
Salem-Kumarakom can be covered in a single day.
You also get hotel room for every budget in Salem.
As for FOOD,
For veggies I recommend Hotel Saravana Bhavan.
For Bone Chewers Just try SELVI MESS near New Bus Stand, you wont forget the biryanis for a long time
Old 17th March 2008, 20:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

You could try Hotel Rennaissance Inn in Hosur. Its just after Hosur on the left side if you are driving towards Krishnagiri. However it could be a wee bit expensive as it looks like an upscale Inn.

You have plenty of options in Salem. However its a bit out of the way especially with the 4 laning going on. Would be better to take the Thoppur - Mettur road.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I am planning to start early morning (6am) from Hyderabad this Thu i.e. 20th Mar and take the following route:

The work going on all the way from Krishnagiri to almost near Coimbatore might hit your plans on this route.

Are there any latest updates on the four-laning work on this stretch?

My suggestion would be to take Bangalore-Mysore-Gudlepet-Nilambur-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Vaikom-Kottayam-Kumarakom route. Except few patches here and there and in and around Gudlepet town, this route is pretty good.

Regards
Rex
Old 18th March 2008, 19:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> The first is whether there would be any problem with the RTA coz we will be
> crossing two states with a AP registered vehicle.

You should not atleast in Kerala. I travel in Tamil Nadu with my Kerala plates and so far I have not had any hassles. In Kerala other state vehicles run quite happily.

> My second concern is that the vehicle is registered in the name of my
> mother. So will that be a problem?

It should not be! Easily solved by having a letter signed by your mother that it is okay for you to use the car. The registartion would have your mother's signature for verification.

Have all the documents in original.

Eagerly awaiting for your answers.[/quote]
Old 18th March 2008, 19:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> I think it is a TTDC hotel - good for its average food, but not sure of stay
> since I think it has a bar on the premises.

The food is OK. You can stay there. Clean rooms with AC if you want.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks