Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 09:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune - Guhagar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeplessdriver View Post
Mates, I look to drive from Pune to Guhagar this weekend. Any recent updates on the roads post monsoons.
Don't bother with the Varandha option. Even if their condition is good, the roads are narrow from the turn-off on NH4 till you reach NH17 and will slow you down. Pune-Umbraj-Chiplun-Guhagarh is the optimum route and more often than not, majority of it is in decent condition.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th October 2013 at 09:37.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 14:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Don't bother with the Varandha option. Even if their condition is good, the roads are narrow from the turn-off on NH4 till you reach NH17 and will slow you down. Pune-Umbraj-Chiplun-Guhagarh is the optimum route and more often than not, majority of it is in decent condition.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram. although the narrow roads will not be a problem as I have spent most of my driving years exploring the Himalayas but yes since I am short on time I will take the suggested route. thanks again
Old 30th October 2013, 11:54   #18
BHPian

ok! Everyone I just came back from that Pune-Guhagar trip.

Here is the latest road update:

Katraj Ghat: bad
Katraj -Umbraj -NH4: Ok to good with huge potholes. No patch work in progress
Umbraj- Patan : good
Patan- Kumbarli Ghat -Chiplun: is a disaster: Ended up covering the whole stretch at 20km/hr
Chiplun - Guhagar - awesome as usual

Vehicle used : Hyundai i20
Total Distance covered -620 km with an economy of 16 with 100% AC
Sleeplessdriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 22:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this thread. What is the current best route to reach Guhagar? Pune-Tamhini-Mangaon-Guhagar, or Pune-Karad-Koyanagar-Chiplun-Guhagar? Is the road till Satara still bad?
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Reviving this thread. What is the current best route to reach Guhagar? Pune-Tamhini-Mangaon-Guhagar, or Pune-Karad-Koyanagar-Chiplun-Guhagar? Is the road till Satara still bad?
I had been on the Pune-Tamhini ghat section ~2-3 weeks back. One word: avoid.
Road is good till you pass Mulshi gate and hit the road which follows the backwater edge. The it starts to deteriorate. You cannot do more than 30-40 unless you are OK with continuous vibrations!
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Hi

Just came back from Koynanagar yesterday. The road as per me is a mixed bag. The highway construction seems to be abandoned. The road quality is good but constant diversions, heavy truck traffic and add to that tractors and trailers with sugarcane loaded makes it a little tedious. The road after Umbraj is fairly good most of the time but near villages it is patchy but managable.

Koynanagar to Pune distance is about 200kms and we could do it in about 4 hours so that makes it about 50Km/hour in a Safari.
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the route updates on both the routes. How about the Mahabaleshwar route? Poladpur ghaat should be in good condition hopefully. I am not considering Bhor-Varandha ghaat as the road is too narrow and driving there is stressful.
Old 24th February 2015, 17:40   #23
BHPian

Pune-Karad-Koyanagar-Chiplun-Guhagar is the convenient and faster route compared to any other. If you travel via Mahabaleshwar, you add the stress of Pasarani and Kashedi ghat, in addition to the traffic in Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar. It is going to take longer, time-wise if not distance-wise.
Old 12th November 2015, 09:56   #24
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I will be travelling from Pune to Velneswar this sunday, I am planning to take the below
route: Pune - Satara - Umbraj - Patan- Kumbarli Ghat -Chiplun - Velneswar

If anyone did this route recently, please update the route condition, particularly Kumbharli Ghat condition and onwards?

Thanks,
Abinash Sahu
Old 16th November 2015, 09:43   #25
BHPian

Re: Pune - Guhagar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiS View Post
Hello Friends,

I will be travelling from Pune to Velneswar this sunday, I am planning to take the below
route: Pune - Satara - Umbraj - Patan- Kumbarli Ghat -Chiplun - Velneswar

If anyone did this route recently, please update the route condition, particularly Kumbharli Ghat condition and onwards?

Thanks,
Abinash Sahu

Hi Abinash,

I too am planning to drive to Guhagar this coming Sunday. Would really appreciate if you can provide some details about the road conditions of the route you took.

Thank you.
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:07   #26
BHPian

Road condition is excellent throughout the journey... Don't travel during evening in the ghat.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:34   #27
mo1
BHPian

Just came back from a Kokan trip via Kumbharli ghat.
Pune - Satara - Umbraj - Patan- Kumbarli Ghat -Chiplun.
The overall road condition is very good.
There are a lot of diversions between Pune to Umbraj,due to road work, and they really slow you down.
Old 26th January 2016, 22:06   #28
BHPian

Back from Pune Guhagar trip.

Route was Pune-Katraj tunnel-Umbraj-Patan-Chiplun-Guhagar

Left from Pune at 0515, reached Guhagar at 1100 with a 1 break for breakfast and another one for refueling cum bio-break.
Got stuck in 30 mins grid lock in Khambatki Ghat. It was almost standstill with engine off for most of the time. We literally moved less than 25 meteres of distance in 30 mins.

On the way back, we took an overnight halt at Koyana Nagar. Guhahar-Koyana Nagar was about 100 km and took me approx 3 hours with 30 mins break.

Koyana Nagar to Pune was 194 km in 4 hours with a 30 mins break between Satara and Pune

Overall the road conditions are good, but some sections are bumpy and rough, but its far better than average Pune road conditions.

It was a pain to cross Chiplun town. We drove thru the main market as that was the shortest (old too) route. Next time, I will lookout for a way to bypass Chiplun by travelling either north or south on NH17 and then join back Chiplun Karad state highway.

Last edited by freedom : 26th January 2016 at 22:13.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 18:36   #29
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm travelling to Guhagar in the first week of May, would really appreciate it if somebody could guide me on which route to take. Is the tamhini ghat route in a really bad condition? Should i stick to Pune-Satara-Umbraj-Patan route?

Please help!
Old 25th April 2016, 12:34   #30
BHPian

I prefer the Pune-Satara-Umbraj-Patan route. Basically you travel on the NH4 expressway for max distance making good time instead if the curvy NH17 which has a bend every 2 kms or so. The constant braking and turning can make the stomach turn for passengers on the back seat
Also the Kumbharli ghat is just about 15 kms and shorter compared to Tamhini ghat for getting into konkan. I avoid the Bhor / Varanda ghat

I generally try to leave pune around 6:00am and reach Guhagar in 5 1/2 - 6 hrs via this route.

Hotel Devrai is a good small pitstop alongside the koyna river on the Patan Koynanagar stretch. Its between the Karate and Vanzole villages. They had good snacks when I stopped there during my trip in Nov and the place is very relaxing. You can find it on google maps

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...894246,17.35z/

one tip - make sure you get past khed shivapur toll naka as early in the morning as possible. Also on the return to Pune getting past khed shivapur toll naka in the evening after 5:00pm can be very taxing

Last edited by FrankMartin : 25th April 2016 at 12:41.
FrankMartin is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed