Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 21:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

One day trip to nearby place in Bangalore-Need ideas.

Hi,

I'am planning for a one day trip on 16/03 to a nearby place in Bangalore. I have already visited the below places. Suggest the place apart from these. The total distance should be <200 kms (one way).

1) Mysore.
2) Halebidu/Belur/SharavanBelogala.
3) Shivanasamudram/Talkad.
4) Hogennikal falls.
5) Srirangapatna.
6) Balmuri Falls.
7) Nandi Hills.

Also I need the route map and the conditions of roads, whether food available there. Is the place a good picnic spot and also whether the kids can enjoy in that place. I'am going with my family.

Thanks.

Last edited by snaronikar : 14th March 2008 at 21:39.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bump...For visibility.
Old 14th March 2008, 22:54   #3
BHPian

go to wonderla your kids will love it nice family place

enjoy cheers:
Old 15th March 2008, 01:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

See if this thread will help you out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ions-tips.html

Yelagiri hills is also an option. You can do it in a day. There was a team-bhp drive till yelagiri.
Old 15th March 2008, 06:51   #5
BHPian

You might want to try out the Innovative Film City. For family trips it can be real fun. It has something for everyone.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 15th March 2008, 10:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Grips - Lunch at Kamat Lokaruchi - Sun Temple/Kanva - Coffee - bk home:
(Really chilled out option)
Post a light breakfast - drive to Grips and go-kart - its a fun track. When you're nearing broke or have had enough, drive past Ramnagaram to Kama Lokaruchi for a nice lunch (they serve only 12:30 onwards) - 2 kms further from here is a right turn towards the Kanva reservoir. Absolutely nobody around (except a little shack that has tea/coffee, biscuits and the lady might oblige you with some handmade mixture with onions). Its also terrific for birdwatching, and theres a short trek to a temple (didnt do). Alternatively - you could turn into Eagleton - at the end is a Sun temple atop a hillock - stunning 360 degree view from there.

Sangam/Mekedatu/Bheemeshwari (80-100kms one way):
On Kanakapura Rod right upto, well, Kanakapura. Its usually well maintained, has lovely curves and lotsa tanks and very green all along. At Kanakapura you could take the fork towards Sangama & Mekedatu/Chunchi falls at a small roundabout as the town starts to end, or continue further to take a left (near/at Sathanur?) towards Bheemeshwari. Both routes terminate at the Cauvery, and you could even stay overnight at the Bheemeshwari Fishing Camp but you should book ahead with Jungle Lodges.

Trek Up Rangaswamy Betta:

On Kanakapura Road, at Harohalli, turn left and ask for directions. Park at the village at the base of the hill, and climb up. Depending on how fit you are, the entire round trip should take 2.5-5 hours

I haven't been to Horsley Hills, but its a common destination for bikers.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lepakshi is another option. See following travelogues by fellow t-bhpians

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
Old 15th March 2008, 19:35   #8
BHPian

Naroinkar,

One Road-Less-Travelled kind of place will be Keerathadanur (Tonnur Lake).This place is around 25 kms from Srirangapatna & around 12 kms from Pandavapura.we visited 2 times from mysore and I could say :

Pros:-

A Big lake
A Small stream where kids can play (I saw few taking bath also)
Not a Tourist kind of place and hence it will be calm
Scenic also

Cons:-

2 Very old temples in the base and this lake and that's it. Nothing to see apart from that
No Hotel and One Small shop is there near to this lake which sells Tea/ Soft Drinks /Snacks

I am not sure whether this is worth to try out from bangalore BUT if you want a calm scenic place where you just want to spend some time with kids & Family for 3 hours or so , then this is worth a Visit.

To make it a Proper Full day trip :

a) You could club this place with Melkote (Around 20 kms from this place) (or)
b)You could club this place with Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary

If at all if interests you, Please post so that I can post the detailed driving directions.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I've also been to Kere Thonnur/kerethadanur and it's a quite clam place.The thing striked me first is that the Lake water level high above the mainland. It's a kind of a small hillock and then the lake on it.Actually there is a shorter route from the Mysore road to the lake but I'm not at all able to recollect where exactly the turn was.We've taken this route by mistake while coming back and it was a very nice scenic and good road.
Here is a picture of the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
One day trip to nearby place in Bangalore-Need ideas.-310489317_b927ba9a25.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 13:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another nice place near Bangalore is DevrayanDurga.It's a hillock like Nandi Hills but I think it's more scenic and unspoilt.There is a temple there and the place is quite peaceful.But there is absolutely no amenities,so you need to get your food and all. It falls in Tumkur district.Once you cross the Tumkur flyover you've to take a right turn towards DD hills forest.The road was not in good shape(that was almost 3 years back). You can read more about it and directions in my blog Thoughts and clicks: Deverayana Durga - Where silence is broken by the Birds..
Old 18th March 2008, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Picnic spots around Bangalore

I have an .xls that has a long listing of places around Bangalore with their..
- Distance
- Road condition
- Type of place
- Direction etc..

However this .xls is an old one, So Road condition etc may not be upto date.

Ps: Not able to attach an .xls here , so saved it as .html and uploaded it into a temp url
http://nsewatch.googlepages.com/Plac...Bangalore.html
Old 18th March 2008, 13:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

if you got a friend working @infosys mysore, visit the campus on a weekend. 3-4 hrs with lunch inside the campus will be a good idea.
Old 18th March 2008, 15:33   #13
BHPian

@Kaushik,

Great to know that you also visited Tonnur Lake. Yes it's a nice, clean & calm place with Crystal clear water.

Driving Directions to Tonnur Lake / Tonnur Kere / Keerathodannur (Local name):-

From Bangalore :-

1)Bangalore-Mandya. Drive Straight and just 2 kms before Srirangapatna, We need to take the Right and Clear Signboard will be there and that right will lead to Bellary / Shravanabelagola / Halebeedu/Belur/Melukote /Pandavapura
2) Pandavapura Road will be good and we need to drive straight and we will reach Pandavapura Railway Station
3)Just exactly in front of the Railwai Station, there will be 2 roads and we need to take the right (left will lead to Shravanabelagola/ Halebeedu/Belur)
4) That's the SH-19 and after 4 kms , we will reach Pandavapura Bus station, Drive past and take a right and then followed by a left (Indication is there will be a big lake and here straight will lead to again Bangalore road and we need to take the left)
5) Drive straight and after 3 to 4 kms , you can see a White Sign board which says :(If you have any doubt ask any villager how to reach Keerathoddanur Village and that's the key word)

<----------------------------------
Venugopalaswamy temple
And few other temples
6) We need to take this left and drive straight and from here on road is Good but will be narrow
7) None will be there virtually and all through we can see many a vegetable fields and just we need to drive straight
8)After 8 kms we will see a Dusty small village and that's Keerathodanur
9) Drive Straight and we will wee1 Defunct Temple @ left side (Governed by Karnataka Archeological Society ) and another Temple @ right side (Governed by KAS) .
10) Drive Straight and we will see a small scenic lake at the left hand side and we need to drive straight and we will see a small hillock towards our left side
11) Continue driving and we need to climb up the hillock (This 1 km stretch is pathetic with Just Pebbles & Pebbles and also steep)
12) After 300 metres we will see a Small stream/ But water gushing out with full force and people taking bath there
13) Drive Straight and at first sight it will be like a miracle as we will find a BIGG Clean Fresh Scenic lake on top of a Hillock cheers:.

From Mysore:-

1) Take Bangalore road and just after Srirangapatna , we will see a BIG signboard saying

<-----------------------------------
Pandavapura 8 kms.

Take this left & Follow the same steps specified above from (2) onwards.

Hope this helps if any of our T-BHP members plan out in future.
pmvelu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2010, 16:09   #14
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Coming Sunday I'm planning to visit either one of the water falls Shivanasamudra or Hogenakkal. Which one of it would be good?
1) Nice sorrounding or environment
2) Bathing (along with family & kids)

Thanks,
SANSI
Old 8th April 2010, 16:17   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSI View Post
Hi Friends,

Coming Sunday I'm planning to visit either one of the water falls Shivanasamudra or Hogenakkal. Which one of it would be good?
1) Nice sorrounding or environment
2) Bathing (along with family & kids)

Thanks,
SANSI
Both places will be very HOT !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks