Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 23:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Help for Trip to Pondicherry & Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
As many have pointed out, ECR between Mahabalipuram and Chennai is being widened. But if you still want to enjoy the scenic ECR drive, you could do so just past Mahabalipuram till Kovalam and take a left here to join the Old Madras Road(OMR) through Kelambakkam.
The mention of Kelambakkam reminds me. The Kelambakkam SH exit on GST at Vandalur is quite a choke. Took some time for me to go past. This is when approaching Chennai from Tindivanam side.

Last edited by ampere : 20th May 2015 at 23:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 23:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
As many have pointed out, ECR between Mahabalipuram and Chennai is being widened. But if you still want to enjoy the scenic ECR drive, you could do so just past Mahabalipuram till Kovalam and take a left here to join the Old Madras Road(OMR) through Kelambakkam.
Thanks luvurride! Does that mean I need to take the Kovalam - Kelambakkam Road and then go on the Padur-Karappakam-Thiruvanmiyur Road, or do I take the Kelambakkam road and go all the way upto Vandalur and then take a right and go towards Chrompet-St.Thomas Mount. My end destination in Chennai is going to be Hotel Savera (near the Music Academy - Royapettah).
Old 20th May 2015, 23:52   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
My end destination in Chennai is going to be Hotel Savera (near the Music Academy - Royapettah).
If Savera is the destination, I would say stay on GST all the way to Kathipara and continue towards Anna Salai. That I think is the easiest road to the hotel.
Old 21st May 2015, 00:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If Savera is the destination, I would say stay on GST all the way to Kathipara and continue towards Anna Salai. That I think is the easiest road to the hotel.
Thanks ampere! So that would mean I can take the ECR upto Kovalam - turn left towards Kelambakkam and continue towards Vandalur. From there take a right towards Chrompet - St Thomas Mt - Kathipara - Anna Salai all the way upto Gemini Flyover and turn right onto Cathedrial road. I hope this is all correct. My first ride to Chennai and have no clue as to how I need to get to my destination in the shortest possible time and easiest route. Sorry to bother asking you all these details.
Old 21st May 2015, 00:25   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere! So that would mean I can take the ECR upto Kovalam - turn left towards Kelambakkam and continue towards Vandalur. From there take a right towards Chrompet - St Thomas Mt - Kathipara - Anna Salai all the way upto Gemini Flyover and turn right onto Cathedrial road. I hope this is all correct. My first ride to Chennai and have no clue as to how I need to get to my destination in the shortest possible time and easiest route. Sorry to bother asking you all these details.
Sorry I thought you were taking the GST and hence I made that suggestion. If you plan to take the ECR, go with what locals says. I would anyway prefer the 4-lane via Tindivanam over ECR. In fact last month I just did that circuit you intend to do. Pondicherry-Tindivanam-Chengalpet-Chennai is much much easier to drive. And if you take the 4-lane then to reach Savera its easier to stick to GST all the way.
Old 21st May 2015, 00:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
So that would mean I can take the ECR upto Kovalam - turn left towards Kelambakkam and continue towards Vandalur. From there take a right towards Chrompet - St Thomas Mt - Kathipara - Anna Salai all the way upto Gemini Flyover and turn right onto Cathedrial road.
Yes this is one route, but the shortest would be continue on the OMR to reach TIDEL Park-Madhya Kailash(Take a Left and then a U-Turn next to Cancer Institute)-Adyar Signal-Adyar Bridge-Take left after DrMGRJanaki College-Immediate Right onto Abhiramapuram Main Road-Take Left and join TTK Road-Music Academy Signal-Right turn to Savera.

The dampener could be the time you hit the OMR as this is THE IT EXPRESSWAY of Chennai! You will be traveling against the traffic though, still all the signals might slow you down!

If you are put up at Savera, try the Khaidi Kitchen which is a theme-based restaurant bang opposite. Also, vegetarian breakfast is just too good at The Hotel New Woodlands next door.

The pool at Savera is also one of the best if you intend to wet yourself in the Chennai heat, but don't forget to carry your swimming gear as they are very strict about it! Also, they do not provide towels at the pool, you need to carry it from your room. Added bonus - you could spot some Kollywood celebrities!

Last edited by luvurride : 21st May 2015 at 01:02. Reason: Grammar
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 16:19   #37
BHPian

Hi. Can someone please provide an update on the Chennai to Pondicherry road, after the heavy rains in that part of TN recently?
Is the ECR in a good condition and safe to drive on OR is it preferable to take the 4-laned highway via Tindivanam?
Old 26th March 2016, 20:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Pondicherry and back with my family for the Ashram visit today. Left home by 8.00 AM and arrived Aurobindo Ashram at 10.30 AM. Spent half an hour there, then visited Manakkula Vinayagar temple and later had lunch at A2B. Left Pondy at 1.00 PM and was back home by 3.30 PM. Steady and relaxed drive, never exceeded 90 KPH anywhere. Took the Tindivanam route. Road condition excellent all through and scanty traffic.

Just watch out a bit on bridges; on some the expansion joints are like mini speed breakers. And on others the joints have mini craters. Both cause uncomfortable bangs, so I always put the hazard lights on before the bridges, pull over to the left and cross them slowly.
Old 5th December 2016, 19:17   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I am booked to travel to Chennai on Saturday, going to pondicherry straight from the airport. Coming back to Chennai on Monday. Can someone please guide me if it's better to just cancel the whole trip looking at the CM's health situation?
I'm traveling with my wife and kid.
Old 7th September 2017, 08:43   #40
BHPian

Requesting inputs from BHPians familiar with Chennai-Pondicherry.
Need to travel to Pondicherry from Chennai Airport by Bus. Preferably an AC bus via Tindivanam.
1. Which is the bus terminal nearest to Chennai Airport from where I can get a bus to Pondicherry (Tindivanm route). I suppose I can avoid going to CMBT since I am not keen on the ECR route?
2. How does one get to this bus terminal?
3. How frequent are buses on this route around 10.30AM to 11.30AM?
4. Would they be too crowded by the time they reach the Airport area?

Would be grateful for an guidance.

Last edited by cogWheel : 7th September 2017 at 09:00.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Take a metro from airport to CMBT.

Walk to platform 1 and 2 of cmbt bus station. All buses to Pondicherry via Tindivanam leave PF1 and those via ECR, PF2.

AC volvo buses to Pondicherry are operated only by PRTC and mostly ply via ECR. They operate at a very low frequency, say one every hour. There are SETC Ultra Deluxe non AC buses to Mayiladuthurai and beyond which go via ECR/ Pondicherry.They leave platform3.

There are private Volvo and Leyland AC buses from 2pm onwards which you can explore on redbus.in

Last edited by vigsom : 7th September 2017 at 10:55. Reason: Addition
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Requesting inputs from BHPians familiar with Chennai-Pondicherry.
Need to travel to Pondicherry from Chennai Airport by Bus. Preferably an AC bus via Tindivanam.
1. Which is the bus terminal nearest to Chennai Airport from where I can get a bus to Pondicherry (Tindivanm route). I suppose I can avoid going to CMBT since I am not keen on the ECR route?
2. How does one get to this bus terminal?
3. How frequent are buses on this route around 10.30AM to 11.30AM?
4. Would they be too crowded by the time they reach the Airport area?

Would be grateful for an guidance.
Considering your time of arrival AC bus requirement is understandable. But consider this, whatever the mode of travel(metro/cab/bus) you would take about 45 minutes to reach CMBT another 30min or so to board the bus and another one hour or so to exit chennai. So it would be about 2 to 2.30 hours in chennai itself.

Rather if you walkover to Tirisulam station which has a pedestrian subway connected to the airport and travel to Tambaram by suburban. Tambaram railway station has mofussil bus terminus just at the exit. By this way you might be well in Puducherry by the time you exit chennai by other method(CMBT).

Drawbacks are that you will not get AC bus, as PRTC has very few regular bus and almost nil AC bus in this route and TNSTC/SETC dont operate AC buses. Seat availability is a gamble but considering the midday schedule it should not be too difficult.

Chennai is not too hot at present but leaky buses are a concern. But taking a seat on the left hand side of the bus will make sure you escape from midday sun.

Last edited by aadya : 7th September 2017 at 13:20. Reason: additonal info
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 16:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Take a metro from airport to CMBT...
...AC volvo buses to Pondicherry are operated only by PRTC and mostly ply via ECR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
...Tambaram railway station has mofussil bus terminus just at the exit. By this way you might be well in Puducherry by the time you exit chennai by other method(CMBT)...
Chennai is not too hot at present but leaky buses are a concern. But taking a seat on the left hand side of the bus will make sure you escape from midday sun.
Thank you @vigsom and @aadya.
This makes things clearer now. I think I will avoid heading towards CMBT and instead take a TNSTC/SETC bus from Tambaram. The time saved is worth the minor inconvenience of using a non-AC coach. Besides, I would prefer entering Puducherry from Tindivanam side as my destination is the JIPMER campus.
Though I had lived in Puducherry as a student for three years (several years ago), I never had to commute to/from the Chennai airport as I couldn't afford to fly in those days! So was unsure of the options I had.
Old 7th September 2017, 18:23   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

There are very limited TNSTC buses from Tambaram to south and central TN and in any case, none of them would go to Pondicherry.

My recommendation for you would be to take a train from Tirusulam to Chengalpattu and get off at Perungalathur, the station just after Tambaram. Cross the highway at Perungalathur and look for a TNSTC (green) or PRTC (blue) bus going to Pondicherry.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 13:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Which is the bus terminal nearest to Chennai Airport from where I can get a bus to Pondicherry (Tindivanm route).
Quote:
Take a metro from airport to CMBT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
... if you walkover to Tirisulam station which has a pedestrian subway connected to the airport and travel to Tambaram by suburban. Tambaram railway station has mofussil bus terminus just at the exit.
Quote:
My recommendation for you would be to take a train from Tirusulam to Chengalpattu and get off at Perungalathur, the station just after Tambaram. Cross the highway at Perungalathur and look for a TNSTC (green) or PRTC (blue) bus going to Pondicherry.
Just did the trip, so I thought will report back here for benefit of others who may find this information useful.
For my onward journey, it turned out that I did not need to take a bus as my hosts arranged for a Cab.
While returning, I took a PRTC Pudicherry-Chennai (via Tindivanam) bus, boarding at JIPMER bus stop (Gorimedu). Two-and-half hours later, alighted at the Perungalathur bus stop and took a MTC City Bus to the Airport (Trisulam stop).
So, the shortest and quickest way is to take use a sub-urban train or City Bus between Airport and Perungalathur from / to where one could ride a PRTC / TNSTC bus.
Points to consider:
I took an early morning 4.45AM bus from my starting point, but all seats were taken! Had to ride standing till Tindivanam (about 45 minutes) before I could be seated. Similarly, by the time buses reach Perungalathur, chances are that they nearly full. So if you have the time, making the trip to/from CMBT, Koyembudu may be wiser. The best but most expensive option of course would be to take a cab!
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks