Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 13:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Help for Trip to Pondicherry & Chennai

Hello folks

What is the approx travel time from Pondy to Chennai airport on a weekday morning?

I have a 10:30 flight out of Chennai so what time should I leave Pondy.

Driving a Verna so can manage decent clip
Old 4th July 2013, 13:59   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Driving a Verna so can manage decent clip
Its about 150km of full end to end 4-lane (via Tindivanam). So early morning (before the Chennai traffic wakes up) you should be able to do it in 2 to 2.5 hours.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 14:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its about 150km of full end to end 4-lane (via Tindivanam). So early morning (before the Chennai traffic wakes up) you should be able to do it in 2 to 2.5 hours.
Thanks ampere. Isint it quicker if I am going to the airport and not coming into the city?
Old 4th July 2013, 14:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere. Isint it quicker if I am going to the airport and not coming into the city?
@Mpower

I looked at Google. Its 150 km to the airport from the Pondi city center.
I assumed you don't see any traffic on the 4-lane, and an average of 70-75km. Higher average, you should make it faster.

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2013 at 14:13.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 10:30 flight out of Chennai so what time should I leave Pondy.
Start around 5-530 am and reach before Madrasis head to office You should reach a solid 2 hrs ahead. This should get you to Meenambakkam before the GST road mess beyond Tambaram starts.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thank u gentlemen. I am changing my iternary completely. I hate waking up at 5 am when I am on vacation...ruins everything.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank u gentlemen. I am changing my iternary completely. I hate waking up at 5 am when I am on vacation...ruins everything.

Waking up at 5AM is good, if its start of the drive for a vacation. Last day and that too on return ? No way !

In case if it works, do check there is also a train from Pondi to Bangalore.
Old 6th July 2013, 07:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Ampere. but from what I can see you dont really enter the city because Meenambakam is on the southern outskirts of the city and due to that fact you should save a good 45 mins.
We are booked at a resort called LePondy...not sure exactly where it is.
Old 6th July 2013, 08:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

I regularly do the Chennai-Pondy route at least a couple of times every year, thanks to quite a few members of my family residing at Pondicherry.

Generally from the airport to Pondicherry takes about 2.5hours, and I mean at pretty high traffic times of around 5pm in the evening. Sometimes I catch a 7am flight out of Chennai, and I have reached Airport from Pondicherry as quickly as 1hr45mins early in the morning.

If I had to catch a 10.30am flight, I would probably leave at around 6 to 6.30am and not at 5.30am. If you leave at 5.30am you will more than likely get to the airport prior to 8am, leaving you a good 2.5hours to while away at the airport.

BTW, among public transport options, there is a Volvo city bus between Pondicherry and Chennai which can drop you right in front of the airport. From people I know who have taken this bus, they say it takes about 3 hours from Pondy bus stand to CMBT, which means you can get to the airport from Pondy bus stand in about 2.5hrs. The problem is this bus runs only about 4 to 5 times a day, unlike the Volvo via ECR which runs every hour between 6am and 10pm.

Le Pondy IIRC is somewhere on the beach to the south of Pondicherry town, towards Cuddalore.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 01:10   #25

Wow! Lots of advice on the road and beaches...Will be sure to try out the TTDC! I will be shifting to Chennai soon from Pune and look forward to driving around.

Does anyone know anything about the police troubling people travelling back from Pondy to Chennai and carrying liquor? I have heard horror stories of cars being searched and huge fines extorted.
Old 20th May 2015, 00:59   #26
BHPian

Hello All and I am sorry to restart an old thread!

I am doing a Bangalore - Pondicherry - Chennai - Bangalore trip this coming weekend. My Bangalore - Pondicherry route has been finalised and as per my itenary I'll be staying in Pondi for the night.
Now my question is which route do I take from Pondi to reach Chennai? I'd be leaving Pondi by 6 AM and would love to take the ECR to reach Chennai. As much as I've read on this forum, the ECR is a very dangerous road to take what with a lot of rash driving and single lane roads. The other option I have is the Pondicherry - Tindivanam - Chengalpattu - Chennai route.
Since I will be riding a bike and going solo, what route would you advise I take. As stated I will be leaving Pondi by 6 AM on the 24th (Sunday) and if I travel this early, is the ECR any safer or is it advisable to stick to the Tindivanam - Chengalpattu route.
Your timely inputs are much appreciated.
Old 20th May 2015, 08:02   #27
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
which route do I take from Pondi to reach Chennai?
You have answered the question yourself.

Quote:
ECR is a very dangerous road to take what with a lot of rash driving and single lane roads.
Road-widening works are in progress from Kovalam towards Mahabalipuram adding more difficulties to the riders. Stick to 4-laned NH 66/45 via Tindivanam bypass and Chengalpattu bypass for safe and comfortable ride.
  (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 08:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All and I am sorry to restart an old thread!

I am doing a Bangalore - Pondicherry - Chennai - Bangalore trip this coming weekend. My Bangalore - Pondicherry route has been finalised and as per my itenary I'll be staying in Pondi for the night.
Now my question is which route do I take from Pondi to reach Chennai? I'd be leaving Pondi by 6 AM and would love to take the ECR to reach Chennai. As much as I've read on this forum, the ECR is a very dangerous road to take what with a lot of rash driving and single lane roads. The other option I have is the Pondicherry - Tindivanam - Chengalpattu - Chennai route.
Since I will be riding a bike and going solo, what route would you advise I take. As stated I will be leaving Pondi by 6 AM on the 24th (Sunday) and if I travel this early, is the ECR any safer or is it advisable to stick to the Tindivanam - Chengalpattu route.
Your timely inputs are much appreciated.
From Pondycherry to Chennai, I would suggest you to take the GST till Tindivanam and then the NH to Pondycherry. 4 laning of ECR is in progress and it is quite dangerous to drive on this stretch.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 14:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Stick to 4-laned NH 66/45 via Tindivanam bypass and Chengalpattu bypass for safe and comfortable ride.
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
From Pondycherry to Chennai, I would suggest you to take the GST till Tindivanam and then the NH to Pondycherry.
So I am sticking to the safer option of going via the Tindivanam-Chengalpattu route to Chennai than the ECR Route. Thanks Suresh!
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 22:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Now my question is which route do I take from Pondi to reach Chennai? I'd be leaving Pondi by 6 AM and would love to take the ECR to reach Chennai.
As many have pointed out, ECR between Mahabalipuram and Chennai is being widened. But if you still want to enjoy the scenic ECR drive, you could do so just past Mahabalipuram till Kovalam and take a left here to join the Old Madras Road(OMR) through Kelambakkam.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks