Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2008, 22:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
... the fact that we are tourists from another country there and then again there is always the language barrier. ...
Language is never a barrier. If you intend to communicate, it comes out in your non-verbal language. Look at the person talking to you, ignore the language, and you will still understand it if you are "communicating". I am sure you will have faith in this when you actually reach there.

Quote:
... alfa romeo 159 1.9 diesel ... they offer free road map of europe along with the car...
The car is good. But you will need to get local maps anyhow - this map covers only the major A-roads and some B-roads only.

Quote:
can someone please tell me if it is possible to take my rented car on to the nurburgring?? ...
DON'T. Your insurance won't cover it, even if it were to be allowed. READ THE INSURANCE TERMS CAREFULLY. Better hitch a ride, or rent one of the on-site ones.
Old 26th May 2008, 09:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rental cars would have already done that in the home country. If you are driving through with a rental car, you normally don't have to (unless you have long term contract). Personal cars - yes and no, depends on the time that you intend to spend in that country.

Switzerland, not being EU, I think you have to. Just check, if you are lucky, the guy before you might have - and it just might be "gueltig" for your drive-through!
LOL! lets see if i'm that lucky. i'm taking the car from paris. so hopefully that will carry me all thru the EU. all i have to worry about or buy pass is for swiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
DON'T. Your insurance won't cover it, even if it were to be allowed. READ THE INSURANCE TERMS CAREFULLY. Better hitch a ride, or rent one of the on-site ones.
ok cool. i just thought i'd save myself a couple of euros by driving around in the alfa. anyway there are a few rental places out there but they only rent cars for an entire day. i just wanna do 2-3 laps max! i wish there was an hourly rental or something like that.
Old 27th May 2008, 01:52   #48
BHPian

Hi Flipsyde,

Just my two cents after driving a fair bit around Europe. Ideally opt for a car with installed GPS if possible. They tend to be more accurate and less cumbersome to use. Opt for a VW group car with an installed GPS unit since theirs seem to be the least complicated and most intuitive to use.

Around Europe if you are sticking to a tight timeframe like yours, GPS is an essential unit to ensure you don't waste precious time and money running around in circles. So the more accurate the system the better the chances you will make good use of your time.

And like most suggest, visit fewer countries and focus more on visiting places than just driving on the roads between two points. If you have female co-passengers they will really appreciate it. Try opting for a break for a day in between, once a week to give yourself some rest and break the monotony of just trying to cover places. In the end you will have only seen places and not experienced them, and that's certainly not worth it.

Squid
Old 7th July 2010, 22:35   #49
BHPian

Driving instructions in Frankfurt!!

guys, need you help. My sisters' family are planning for a short transit in Frankfurt. I would like to get certain calrifications to pass on to them.

1. They are travelling from USA and hope they should be able to drive themselves in Germany.
2. Will English be sufficient to manage in Frankfurt or knowledge of German is essential. (Not that anything can be done now, but it would just create a mind set.)
3. Most important, are there GPS systems and Maps available in English. Any idea of the rental agencies that might provide English enabled GPS cars.
4. They will also be carrying their mobile phones, any enligsh maps available that can be downloaded into their phones. I believe they did a search and everything is available in german only.
5. Last but not least, any pointers on the places of visit in and around frankfurt.
Old 19th May 2011, 02:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving In Europe – How It’s Different From U.S.

Well I have no idea how is it in US, but since one has compared our beloved nation, I am writing this down. Here in Europe, the drivers, no matter what car they are in, they are always in their senses and they stop for pedastrians and cyclists. My personal experience: yesterday was crossing a street and I noticed a Maserati speeding so i waited in the pavement for him to cross, he slowed down and flashed(ya here flashing lights means other way around, i.e. signalling the one opposite to pass and not the Indian style of "I flashed first so I go first!") at me to cross!! and People wave their hand to "thank" when a pedastrian/car lets the other pass. On the highway/city when we flash to let the other overtake, they do something called "danke schön" by blinking left indicator then right indicator! The last few may be customary to Germany and may nt be applicable or be used in a different form in the US.
Another factor is here bikers prefer sports bike than cruiser(there are few american type biker gangs here too) but mostly they use beautiful full fairing or naked ones.
Old 19th May 2011, 03:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Well I have no idea how is it in US, but since one has compared our beloved nation, I am writing this down.
Which country are you referring to, when you say our beloved nation ?

Are you trying to compare driving in India Vs Europe?
Old 19th May 2011, 12:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Which country are you referring to, when you say our beloved nation ?

Are you trying to compare driving in India Vs Europe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Are you sure? Just visit Italy and you know the answers. Especially, the south.

Not driven in all of Europe. But done in France & Italy. So the above points.
Technocrat, yes sir. Its our beloved Mother India. I know its OT but I felt it needs to written and only the first line was for comparison. Rest is for Germany in general.

Mjothi, sir, I have visited Italy and france, but not driven, and I drive inside Germany so I guess I should have been more precise in saying Germany instead of Europe and yes, its a mess driving in Italy
Old 19th May 2011, 12:42   #53
BHPian

Can we drive in Europe with our Indian Driving license? I ask coz I might be traveling to Europe next month.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Can we drive in Europe with our Indian Driving license? I ask coz I might be traveling to Europe next month.
yes, you can for first 6 months you are allowed and if only have limitted visa like (3months/6months).
just take good precaution and i would say first drive in some small village or inside city before going on autobahn. you need quite a lot practice to enter and exit the Autobahn. i would suggest not get to carried away with open and good roads.

Last edited by Suess : 19th May 2011 at 13:38.
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 13:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When I drove in US, I did not have much difficulty in adjusting to LHD. Infact, after 2-3 days, I was driving normally. The reason for this was Auto Transmission. So I did not have to shift gears with my right hand.
I have always shifted gears with left Hand in India.

I am wondering, how difficult it is to learn shifting gears with the right hand?
I ask this because, if we do a Europe trip, we would love to drive through the countryside.

Nothing it's much easier....remember it's your Right Hand!
Old 19th May 2011, 13:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Main differences: Roads with curves and cars with stick shifts!

On a more serious note, getting a drivers license in Europe requires a lot of patience, time and money. Very expensive process and strict norms. Guess it translates into better drivers.
it is expensive and time consuming. it took me 4-5 months and 1800 Euros(about 1.1 Lakh Rs with current forex).

it does translate at least into better learning of traffic rules and driving discipline.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
yes, you can for first 6 months you are allowed and if only have limitted visa like (3months/6months).
just take good precaution and i would say first drive in some small village or inside city before going on autobahn. you need quite a lot practice to enter and exit the Autobahn. i would suggest not get to carried away with open and good roads.
Thanks. Yes I will be there for only a month and I will be careful and will practice a lot before taking on the Autobahn .
Old 19th May 2011, 13:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is expensive and time consuming. it took me 4-5 months and 1800 Euros(about 1.1 Lakh Rs with current forex).

it does translate at least into better learning of traffic rules and driving discipline.
Sure is! From filing the first application to taking the final test I spent about ~6 Months and ~2L Rs! Really comprehensive learning though, and to be honest I enjoyed it

I actually started a thread on the experience of my Swedish Drivers License - never got around to finishing it. Must do so when I have time, it was quite an experience!

Last edited by anekho : 19th May 2011 at 14:01.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Well I have no idea how is it in US, but since one has compared our beloved nation, I am writing this down. Here in Europe, the drivers, no matter what car they are in, they are always in their senses and they stop for pedastrians and cyclists. My personal experience: yesterday was crossing a street and I noticed a Maserati speeding so i waited in the pavement for him to cross, he slowed down and flashed(ya here flashing lights means other way around, i.e. signalling the one opposite to pass and not the Indian style of "I flashed first so I go first!") at me to cross!! and People wave their hand to "thank" when a pedastrian/car lets the other pass. On the highway/city when we flash to let the other overtake, they do something called "danke schön" by blinking left indicator then right indicator! The last few may be customary to Germany and may nt be applicable or be used in a different form in the US.
Another factor is here bikers prefer sports bike than cruiser(there are few american type biker gangs here too) but mostly they use beautiful full fairing or naked ones.
Actually on Zebra crossing without traffic lights it's the rule....that you have to watchout anyone waiting to cross the road and slowly stop to give him/her way. slowly stopping is important becasue you are not supposed to scare anyone on road.

But i agree that they take care even at no zebra crossing.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Actually on Zebra crossing without traffic lights it's the rule....that you have to watchout anyone waiting to cross the road and slowly stop to give him/her way. slowly stopping is important becasue you are not supposed to scare anyone on road.

But i agree that they take care even at no zebra crossing.
It's not always the case but. The people in South of Germany (Bayern and BW) are boringly courteous. But as you go up North, it's not so, always. When I used to visit my friends in Frankfurt, many cars zoomed past, even at zebra crossings, if I didn't make my intentions clear that you are going to cross, by stepping on to the road.

Most Viewed