Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 02:33   #106
BHPian

Italy-Slovenia self drive trip - Advice Needed

6 of us are going to Europe this Sunday on a work trip.
We will land at Marco Polo Airport, Italy (near Venice) and will have to travel by road to Ljubljana, Slovenia.
We wanted to make this a self-driving trip but have no idea where to start and how to go about it. I need all possible advice for this.
Google shows just too many results and I can't possibly know what to trust from it.
Any advice from experienced people would be highly appreciated.

- Which are the better websites/companies who provide self-drive cars?
- How expensive is it approximately to hire a car mid-level SUV, for example a Fortuner in India?
- How does the self driving system work in Europe? Can we just hire from any country and then take it to whichever other country where we want within the schengen zone?
- I've obtained an International Driving Permit from the local RTO and will be carrying my Driving License as well. Any other paper work required?
- Suggestions on which cars to hire? SUVs are my favourite generally
Old 9th June 2017, 10:14   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italy-Slovenia self drive trip - Advice Needed

Just checked with a friend who is touring Slovenia. He is using Sixt.

Update: they took shuttle from Venice to Ljubljana ( phew! who do we pronounce it?) and then took a car there. To drive in Slovenia, you need vignette sticker else you will get hefty fines. cars rented out of Slovenia wont have.
The shuttle service was- Gopti and seems they were very professional and reliable.

Seems Sixt website has details.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th June 2017 at 10:27.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:56   #108
BHPian

I have used sixt in Europe - it is excellent. But usually, all car rentals in Europe are located within walking distance of each other and are often side by side. Each of them might even have a kiosk at the Airport; especially at the larger airports.

I suggest you use something like http://www.autoeurope.eu - you can compare prices here.

Tell them the number of guys driving during the course of the trip and take full insurance coverage and pay any additional fee for the additional driver. IDP requirements vary but usually national licenses are sufficient - still handy to have an IDP.

When you rent a car, just walk around with the agent and mark any spots which have dents or scratches on the paper he will make you sign with a picture of the car.

Also, inform them that you will be taking the car across international borders.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 19:11   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving across Europe!

Guys, need a one-way rental hire in May from Madrid and drop-off at Sevilla. From my quick search, there seems to be a steep 50 - 120 Euro one-way fee. Can I avoid this through any smaller or niche rental companies?
Old 24th April 2018, 08:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Ljubljana ( phew! who do we pronounce it?)
Lyub-Lyana. Thats how the locals pronounce it.
I've used this airport several times to reach Trieste in Italy on the border.
Old 18th May 2018, 13:46   #111
BHPian

Guys, I'll be going on a Switzerland trip with family, next month. It's a group tour with SOTC, but am planning to do a day drive on the last day.
Plan to rent a car in Tasch (near Zermatt) and drive down to Lake Maggiore and back. Now, I've read Switzerland doesn't require IDP, but Italy does. I checked the online application for the IDP and it asks you to mention the country name. What should I enter here, as it's a Schengen Visa and therefore valid for multiple countries.

Also, what are the chances of the high passes, i.e., Furka, Gotthard, opening in the first week of June? If they are open I can completely avoid driving through Italy, and also avoid a cross-border fee of 5k.

How good is Europcar for renting? I think it's the only agency available in Tasch (near Zermatt) so I'll have to rely on them.
Planning to book a Golf 1.4 Auto. What are the chances that I'll get the same car, or at least something as good, and not an "MPV of the year" Citroen?
Old 18th May 2018, 14:00   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Also, what are the chances of the high passes, i.e., Furka, Gotthard, opening in the first week of June? If they are open I can completely avoid driving through Italy, and also avoid a cross-border fee of 5k.
?
You should be good, but you really ought to check on the day itself as well. Conditions may vary widely even in June on a day by day basis.

Here is a good site with information:

https://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

Enjoy Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 14:13   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You should be good, but you really ought to check on the day itself as well. Conditions may vary widely even in June on a day by day basis.

Here is a good site with information:

https://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

Enjoy Jeroen
Thank you sir. I'll check it out.
Google maps says Furka and gotthard will open on June 8. And last day of our trip is 7th.
So I'll get an IDP, just to be safe.
I so wish they're open though. Obviously, avoiding passage into Italy isn't the only reason, or even the primary reason to take them. Would be absolutely magical to drive them.

Edit : Found that there's Hertz in Tasch as well. Europcar vs Hertz, which is generally the better agency?
Old 18th May 2018, 14:31   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Found that there's Hertz in Tasch as well. Europcar vs Hertz, which is generally the better agency?
I have used both all over Europe and the USA. Not much difference. I prefer Hertz as I find them a little bit more convenient and easy to use/deal with.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 22:24   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I have used both all over Europe and the USA. Not much difference. I prefer Hertz as I find them a little bit more convenient and easy to use/deal with.

Jeroen
Any important tips for driving in Switzerland (specifically)?
How does payment for parking work? Is cash accepted everywhere?
Same with Fuel stations, do they accept cash?

P.S : Gotthard is open it appears, fingers crossed they open Furka too, soon.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:49   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A few things to bear in mind:

When driving in Switzerland remember that you have to drive on the right hand side of the road.

All front and back seat occupants must use seat belts. National requirement is that children up to 12 years of age and under 150cm have to be placed in a child restraint approved to UN ECE regulation 44.03.

You must be aged 18 or older and hold a valid driver's license.

Drinking and driving limits - If the level of alcohol in the bloodstream is 0.05 per cent or more, severe penalties are handed out and include fines or prison. The police may request any driver to undergo a breath test or drugs test. Visiting motorists may be forbidden from driving in Switzerland for a minimum of one month.
From 1st January 2014 a lower limit of alcohol in the bloodstream of 0.01% will apply for new drivers who passed their test within 3 years and professional drivers.

Use of dipped headlights during the day recommended for all vehicles. Compulsory when passing through tunnels even if they are well lit, a fine will be imposed for noncompliance. From 1st January 2014 the use of dipped headlights is compulsory for all vehicles at all times.

Third-party insurance is compulsory.

Use of mobile phones is prohibited whilst driving in Switzerland.

Your car rental place will have a list too. In general, traffic in Europe is much more disciplined than in India. So stick to the traffic rules, keep to your lane, observe speed limits etc.

Check with your rental company the places you are going whether there are any additional requirements, (e.g. I believe you might have to carry snow chains if visiting places with a lot of snow). They will be able to advise.

They will also arrange the Motorway vignette. It is mandatory for going on Motorways, even if you only do a very short stretch.

If the cops catch you for any offence you are likely to have to pay for it on the spot. And yes, you will get fined if anybody isn’t wearing their seatbelt or the driver using a mobile phone. Happens all the time, all over Europe.

There are several sites on the net providing “driving tips for Switzerland”. Just google and you will find the one I took this text from.

You should be fine with cash in most place. I’m not hundred percent sure these days on parking. But if anything they will always accept credit cards. Very often on parking meters you have to punch in the registration number of your car

Enjoy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 09:26   #117
BHPian

Anyone here did Ring Road ? I need to know the POI and a rough plan. I have plan to go there in August.
Old 1st June 2018, 10:46   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
Anyone here did Ring Road ? I need to know the POI and a rough plan. I have plan to go there in August.

Do you mean the Nurnburg ring?
Old 1st June 2018, 17:43   #119
BHPian

Quote:

I just returned back from a road trip covering Germany-France-Switzerland.

We rented BMW X4 from Sixt Paderborn and as it was a brand new car, the rental agency didn't take any responsibility of getting us the Vignette.

They asked us to get it once we enter Swiss border.

If you are planning to drive from Germany (Frankfurt) towards Basel, please get the Vignette at the last fuel pump in Germany border (ie) before you enter Switzerland.

Also, from my perspective, traffic was more disciplined in Germany than Switzerland.

BTW, we drove to Baden, Zurich, Engelberg (Base for Mt Titlis), Interlaken, Zug, Thun.

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 1st June 2018 at 17:44.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:33   #120
BHPian

Quote:

I did Switzerland road trip last year, in December, here is the link to my travelogue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...itzerland.html

In fact I did Germany, Prague, Netherlands, Spain last year. If you have any queries please shout.

Quote:
Do you mean the Nurnburg ring?
I mean ring road in Iceland. I have plans to do this circuit in August.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks