Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 21:50   #166
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

A delayed update: Drove Chennai-Trivandrum and back early last month. The 2 lane Madurai bypass continues to be horrible with an increased number of potholes as compared to my previous trip. Guess it would be a good idea to use Trichy-Dindigul-Madurai route even though it is longer by about ~25 km.

Have never driven in that stretch before; so any pointers on the traffic and road conditions would be welcome considering it requires navigating through Trichy city for a bit.

Last edited by prkiran : 12th June 2017 at 21:51. Reason: Formatting
Old 24th May 2018, 07:05   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

How easy is it to take the Dindigul route? Especially time taken to cross Trichy and Dindigul.
Old 24th May 2018, 08:36   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
How easy is it to take the Dindigul route? Especially time taken to cross Trichy and Dindigul.
Very easy, you definitely won't miss it.

1. The Dindigul/Trichy town turn (rather service road exit) at Trichy bypass is well marked. If you see Grand Gardenia on your right and you are on the bridge, you have missed the exit.

You should see a TVS owned Bharat Petroleum petrol bunk just ahead of this traffic light.

The junction is called TVS tollgate in case you need to ask someone.

2. Once you have taken the service road exit, you'll get a traffic lights below the bridge I mentioned above. Take a right.

3. There'll be a railway overbridge over Tiruchirapalli Junction (the station is on the right when travelling south). This is the Aristo Bridge and has been complete.

4. Once past Aristo bridge you'll have a roundabout, take the left and keep going straight thereafter. Note, taking a right at this roundabout will take you to Trichy Central Bus Stand.

On a weekday evening peak hour, TVS tollgate to 4-lane start takes 45 mins. Otherwise I've made it across in 20-30 mins.

Time take from TVS Tollgate to Madurai Tirumangalam Junction (where the ring road meets) will be on par for Melur or Dindigul route with the latter offering peace of mind in terms of traffic and road conditions. Last time I timed, it took me 2:15 hrs for the section with 20 mins to cross Trichy.

Hope this helps!
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 22:05   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Very easy, you definitely won't miss it.
Thanks a lot for your detailed response, it helped.
It took us less than 15 minutes to hit the Dindigul 4L highway.
Old 28th May 2018, 08:50   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
It took us less than 15 minutes to hit the Dindigul 4L highway.
What time did you cross?
Old 28th May 2018, 09:19   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What time did you cross?
It was 4PM on a weekday, and its the time taken from the service road exit on the bypass till the 4L highway entry. I think it was around 8-10 Kms.
Old 19th December 2018, 10:22   #172
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone aware of the road conditions from Trichy to Dindigul via Manapparai. Is it a 4 lane road.
Old 19th December 2018, 10:33   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is anyone aware of the road conditions from Trichy to Dindigul via Manapparai. Is it a 4 lane road.
It is four lane road.
Old 20th December 2018, 09:28   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Trichy to Dindigul via Manapparai
The initial 15 km (approx) from TVS Tollgate/Aristo Bridge towards Dindigul is not 4-laned. Its suburban Trichy and will take anywhere between 20 to 45 mins depending on the time of day.

Seven years back I wrote this (Chennai - Madurai : Route Queries) and would still hold good.

Just to connect the terminology:

TVS Tollgate = Place where you exit from Madras-Madurai highway/Trichy bypass towards Trichy City/Dindigul.

Aristo Bridge = The railway overbridge 1/2 km from TVS tollgate over Trichy junction.
Old 9th October 2022, 05:46   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
A delayed update: Drove Chennai-Trivandrum and back early last month. The 2 lane Madurai bypass continues to be horrible with an increased number of potholes as compared to my previous trip. Guess it would be a good idea to use Trichy-Dindigul-Madurai route even though it is longer by about ~25 km.

I understand this is a very old Post.
But just wanted to know whether the Trichy - Madurai bye pass is still bad and recommended to go via Dindigul ?
Or is Trichy - Madurai - Tirunelveli doable in the normal route.
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2022, 05:56   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
I understand this is a very old Post.
But just wanted to know whether the Trichy - Madurai bye pass is still bad and recommended to go via Dindigul ?
Or is Trichy - Madurai - Tirunelveli doable in the normal route.
Thanks in advance.
Madurai bypass is 4 laned now, drove through last week. No hassles at all.
Pequod is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 19:38   #177
BHPian

Chennai - Trivandrum - Urgent Route Query

We will be travelling to Kerala from Chennai tomorrow morning, so this is a last minute post to take a call on our travel route.

Our Usual route is
Chennai->Trichy->Madurai->Tirunelveli->Nagarcoil->TVM

But due to the ongoing cyclone, which I had hoped would die down by now, am not sure of our travel route. There is a red alert issued in areas from Tirunelveli (some sources have alerts from Madurai). Is there an alternative route, that we can take safely?
The only other option that I know of is via Salem->Coimbatore->Kochi->TVM this would delay us further, there is any route that would maybe add another hour or 2 and get us into TVM on the same day?
Old 19th December 2023, 07:58   #178
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai - Trivandrum - Urgent Route Query

Am not aware of Madurai and Tirunelveli alerts. But it's good to avoid Tuticorin side of geography. So that way I was hoping to say Rajapalayam/Tenkasi to Madurai and there on to Trichy to Chennai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:34   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post
We will be travelling to Kerala from Chennai tomorrow morning, so this is a last minute post to take a call on our travel route.

Our Usual route is
Chennai->Trichy->Madurai->Tirunelveli->Nagarcoil->TVM

But due to the ongoing cyclone, which I had hoped would die down by now, am not sure of our travel route. There is a red alert issued in areas from Tirunelveli (some sources have alerts from Madurai). Is there an alternative route, that we can take safely?
The only other option that I know of is via Salem->Coimbatore->Kochi->TVM this would delay us further, there is any route that would maybe add another hour or 2 and get us into TVM on the same day?
Tirunelveli route should be safer. But the Bypass road was flooded by Tamirabharani river one day back and water level even crossed the bridge. But I heard today water levels has reduced in major areas. So Tirunelveli should be safe.

Also Tirunelveli is on a higher elevation so water level recedes quicker. It should be safe with sun shining today.

Avoid Tuticorin, Tiruchendur side at all costs.
TonyJames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 00:18   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJames View Post
Tirunelveli route should be safer.
Avoid Tuticorin, Tiruchendur side at all costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But it's good to avoid Tuticorin side of geography. So that way I was hoping to say Rajapalayam/Tenkasi to Madurai and there on to Trichy to Chennai.
Thank you both we just made it to TVM via Tirunelveli Nagercoil route, there is no water on the highway but the roads are still wet, it was around 8 by the time we reached Tirunelveli. We could make out flooding in quite a few places on route. Couple of pitstops at local restaurants and petrol bunks before Tirunelveli helped confirm that the routes weren't flooded.
al90 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks