Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 19:50   #1
BHPian

Information - Kolkata Airport to Howrah Station / Sealdah station?

Hi Kolkata guys,

I require a help from you people. I would like to know the distance, travelling time from Kolkata Airport to Howrah Station and also Kolkata Airport to Sealdah station. Which of the two places among Howrah station and Sealdah station is near to Kolkata airport. Also, what is the best and convenient mode of transportation to the nearest location.

Thanks in advance..
Ramesh Chandra
Old 27th March 2008, 22:24   #2
BHPian

Ramesh

Its going to take approximately 1.5 hrs if you take a cab. I suggest you use the Prepaid taxi booth in the Airport so that the cabby does not take you for a 'ride'
Old 28th March 2008, 08:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sealdah is more closer from DumDum Airport.

Now there is Airport Local train from Airport to Sealdah. Kolkata guys pls check the timetable and let him know.

You can also take a cycle rickshaw to Dum Dum cantonment railway station (Rs20 - 40) which is about 2 km from Airport. 20min local train from DDC to Sealdah (DDC - DumDum Jn - Bidhannagar Rd - Sealdah).
Be careful, never try this before noon on Mon - Sat. Only afternoon, as you can never catch a train on office hours.

For Howrah, better to take a prepaid taxi from Airport itself. It should take 1.5 - 2 hours in peak time. Otherwise it will be faster.

BTW, where do you intend to go from Dum Dum Airport?

Abhi

My house is 2 min walk from DDC RS.

Last edited by akroy : 28th March 2008 at 08:27.
Old 28th March 2008, 15:56   #4
BHPian

Airport to Sealdah trains are less frequent, may be one or two train during
the day, best options to avail prepaid Taxi from Airport to Sealdah or
Howrah .
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:46   #5
BHPian

Bringing this thread alive. Whats the likelihood of me catching a train at 14:30 from HWH if I land at around 12:00 noon at CCU? Is the one and a half hour estimate still valid?

Thanks,
Su-47

EDIT: Planning to travel on a Saturday, would it take lesser time than a weekday?

Last edited by Su-47 : 23rd September 2009 at 23:52.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Bringing this thread alive. Whats the likelihood of me catching a train at 14:30 from HWH if I land at around 12:00 noon at CCU? Is the one and a half hour estimate still valid?

Thanks,
Su-47
Just came back from Kolkata. Its very hard to travel in Kol now due to Durga Puja. Traffic for a few Km too. How ever 1.30 hr is enough to travel from Airport to Howrah.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:22   #7
BHPian

Thanks Arin! I would be travelling on 3rd oct (after Durga Puja), so, I guess it should be easier then.

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 24th September 2009 at 00:22. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 24th September 2009, 01:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Thanks Arin! I would be travelling on 3rd oct (after Durga Puja), so, I guess it should be easier then.

Cheers,
Su-47
ya but make sure you immediately pick your baggage from airport and stand in the taxi prepaid counter in airport. Much of your time might get lost collecting the prepaid taxi stuff.

Otherwise it generally takes about an hour to reach HWH unless there is some serious blockage anywhere.

Abhi
Old 24th September 2009, 02:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Journey time should be similar. As Abhi mentioned, the catch is the potential delays of getting a cab quickly and any untoward traffic at around Hwh. 3rd October is around Laxmi puja time isn't it?

If possible book a cab from a rental agency prior to travelling. That way you are sure of exiting the terminal and hopping straight into the waiting car without any delays.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:02   #10
BHPian

Sealdah should be faster, if you take the Newtown route. Taxi fare will be much higher in this route. Airport-NewTown-SaltLake bypass-chigrihata-khal par road should take you to sealdah station.

Shorter route :

Aiport-VIP road to Ultadanga-Kakurgachi-Phoolbagan-Beliaghata main road-Sealdah
Old 24th September 2009, 19:03   #11
BHPian

Sorry. I did not follow the thread carefully.

Immsersion of idols for Durga Puja should be over by 2nd October.
Therefore I think, it will be possible to reach Howrah by 2:00 PM.

Take a taxi, go via VIP road, Ultadanga , Khanna route. Traffic jams are common in this route.

Taxi drivers can take you for a ride across EM bypass, Park Circus etc, but these routes will take longer time as the distance is much higher and number of traffic signals will be more.
Old 29th September 2009, 14:28   #12
BHPian

It appears I have a new problem :( Some group has called for a bandh on 3rd October, and, my relatives are advising me against traveling to Jharkhand on 3rd. So, the other option is to change the ticket to 2nd October.

BTW, I noticed that there are trains from Kolkata railway station as well (chitpur?). Would that be any closer to airport than HWH?

And, thanks for the tips guys. I will arrange for a taxi to pick me up and drop at the railway station.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 29th September 2009, 16:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Chitpur & Sealdah are closer than HWH from Airport.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks