Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 15:09   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Saw an ad in Sunday's newspaper that the new bridge over the Cauvery on Trichy bypass is open now.
Any Good News on These roads friends.

Planning to take the Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Sattur route during last week of february.

Any pointers for a good fuel station, eateries etc., ?
Old 14th February 2009, 18:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskumar View Post
Any Good News on These roads friends.

Planning to take the Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Sattur route during last week of february.

Any pointers for a good fuel station, eateries etc., ?
Thirumangalam - Sattur 4 laning has been completed and officially opened.

PIB's Latest Photograph

There must be some work going on in other sections. Someone who has driven recently can be of more help.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:16   #33
BHPian

There is one reliance A1 shop on the left side just before srirangam in chennai-trichy highway. Thats where i usually take a break. Give a try there.
Old 20th February 2009, 15:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Thirumangalam - Sattur 4 laning has been completed and officially opened.

PIB's Latest Photograph

There must be some work going on in other sections. Someone who has driven recently can be of more help.
Thanks for the Update..
Old 24th February 2009, 22:21   #35
BHPian

Update on Trichy Chennai Highway

I did this route on 21st feb. Four laning work between srirangam to chennai is almost completed except around 10 kms near ulundurpettai. Even bypass roads around viluppuram and tindivanam are open now. Took me just 4hrs from srirangam to kathipara junction.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
There is one reliance A1 shop on the left side just before srirangam in chennai-trichy highway. Thats where i usually take a break. Give a try there.
This reliance A1 shop is closed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Harsha, any reason why you did not take teh direct coastal route via Tondi, Pattukottai, Nagore and Karaikal to Chidambaram? How is that road condition nowadays? Read that the Karaikudi-Devakottai road is also superb nowadays. Since you are in Ramnad, any idea of progress in the ECR south of Ramanathapuram via Kizhakarai, Vembar to Tuticorin? Thanks

This time i took the route (chidambaram - ramanathapuram) via sirkali, karaikal, nagapattinam, kilvelur, thirukkuvalai, thiruthuraipoondi, muthupettai, thondi, devipattinam.

Went through nagapattinam, kilvelur, kilvelur, thiruthuraipoondi because i missed the actual road.

Work in ECR between muthupettai and ramanathapuram is almost over except around 4-6 bridge constructions. Between thiruthuraipoondi and muthupettai more than 70% work is completed. Im not sure about thiruthuraipoondi and kairaikal road. And ECR work has not even started north of karaikal.
Old 27th April 2009, 10:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Update on Chennai - Madurai roads.

I did this trip from Chennai to Madurai. The roads are excellent. I loved those NH45B through viralimalai. One of the best roads I have taken.
Started from Chennai @ 3:30am and reached Madurai @ 10am. With 2 fuel breaks and 1 breakfast break in Tiruchy.

The Ullundurpet bypass is still not ready. Need to take the town. I also see that the take diversion signs are clearly marked 99%. Except for 1 or 2.

The roads from Tiruchi to Melur is real fun driving. Most place have 6 lanes and all stretches completed. Except for the Kottampatti and one more bypass. These 2 places you need to take the town. Rest all its a breeze. Tolls are getting ready, but not yet done.

A big to NH guys.
Old 28th April 2009, 13:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

@Mahesh - Were you not supposed to drive from Bangalore to Madurai - or did you drive back from Madurai to Bangalore
Old 6th May 2009, 18:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

I need to do the Madurai to Trichy section in the night around 6-8 PM.
I'm not very comfortable driving at night.
Is this stretch easy to do in the night?
I need to do the trip tomorrow - so urgent!

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 6th May 2009 at 18:39.
Old 8th October 2010, 06:37   #40
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Thekkady in couple of days. Just wanted to check if anyone has done the route recently and if I should be careful in any particular sector.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

I did Chennai - Thekkady on my way to Sabarimalai last month. The stretch from Chennai - Trichy is completely 4 laned and a breeze to drive. The stretch between Trichy & Dindigul is undergoing 4 laning so expect a lot of diversions and some rough stretches, but nothing to worry majorly about though.

Once you cross Dindigul you have a lovely 2 lane highway which is in great shape all the way upto Cumbum. From Cumbum to Lower Camp occasional pot holes are there. Once you start climbing from Lower Camp be careful as the road is not in great condition all the way up to Kumili especially the curves which are in some bad shape. I think they would have become worse after the recent rains last week that side of TN.

Though I do not expect the road conditions to change too much I suggest you keep speeds low so that you can be on guard for any sudden pot hole.
Old 9th October 2010, 19:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I did Chennai - Thekkady on my way to Sabarimalai last month. The stretch from Chennai - Trichy is completely 4 laned and a breeze to drive. The stretch between Trichy & Dindigul is undergoing 4 laning so expect a lot of diversions and some rough stretches, but nothing to worry majorly about though.

Once you cross Dindigul you have a lovely 2 lane highway which is in great shape all the way upto Cumbum. From Cumbum to Lower Camp occasional pot holes are there. Once you start climbing from Lower Camp be careful as the road is not in great condition all the way up to Kumili especially the curves which are in some bad shape. I think they would have become worse after the recent rains last week that side of TN.

Though I do not expect the road conditions to change too much I suggest you keep speeds low so that you can be on guard for any sudden pot hole.
Thanks, pypkmsrikanth. From Trichy, is it preferable to take route via Madurai (NH45B) instead of via Dindigul?
Old 22nd December 2019, 16:38   #43
BHPian

Chennai - Thekkady - Varkala - Madurai - Chennai

Hi all,
We have a spur of the moment road trip coming up this Tuesday with 2 kids (7 and 9) and the route plan is Chennai - Thekkady - Varkala - Madurai - Chennai.

We are not in a hurry to get the destination and entire loves the road trips and small stops all along. So let me know which route to take and also good spots en route.

Just FYI: Thekkady - 2 nights, Varakala - 3 Nights, Madurai - 1 night (basically to avoid doing full day drive).
Old 22nd December 2019, 16:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Thekkady - Varkala - Madurai - Chennai

Not to be spoiling the mood I hope you've factored in the CAA protests when travelling with family as Kerala is famous for spur of the moment 'bandh' calls.
Old 22nd December 2019, 17:25   #45
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Thekkady - Varkala - Madurai - Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
spur of the moment
Kerala High Court mandates 7-day notice for hartals/strikes

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le25934047.ece

Most Viewed