Team-BHP - Chennai to Srikalahasti : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Chennai to Srikalahasti : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/37810-chennai-srikalahasti-route-queries.html)

I am planning to visit Kalahasti this Sunday. Can someone please provide the route details along with the approximate time it takes . I will be starting from Anna nagar, Chennai .

I & JKdas had been to Sri Kalahasti temple last year. It's one beautiful granite temple with a medieval air to it. Even the town feels very old, i mean

We went in a AP transport bus from Bangalore. Since we couldn't really speak the language or read the sign boards we missed a lot of towns that we passed through and it's not possible to guide you with exact route.

Sri Kalahasti is approximately 30km furhter from Tirupati town. So you have to head in the direction of Tirupati.

There are two routes...all the way to near Tirupati and take a diversion to Kalahasti (about 20 km away)... Or on NH5 go till Tada..then take road to Kalahasti. Both routes have sign boards..

Did the Tada route about an year back. Road conditions were bad. Hopefully would be better now!

EDIT: There is also this earlier thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...kalahasti.html

Take the NH5 you can either turn left at Tada or you can go still forward, turn at Naidupet. I haven't seen the Tada-Srikalahasti route recently, hence cannot comment however, Nadiupet -Srikalahasti is pretty good, however beware of the numerous, unmarked speed breakers and also those buffalloes

@shankar, from chennai Srikalahasti will come first then Renigunta-Tirupati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravindwarrier (Post 781473)
@shankar, from chennai Srikalahasti will come first then Renigunta-Tirupati.

Oh. Ok. I didn't know that. Thanks for that tip :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by druva (Post 781465)
There are two routes...all the way to near Tirupati and take a diversion to Kalahasti (about 20 km away)... Or on NH5 go till Tada..then take road to Kalahasti.

I am planning this route so that i can cover tada falls on the way back.
Mapmyindia tells me that the total distance from annanagar to srikalahasti is 116.7 km and hope i can cover this in approx 2 hours.
My plans are to use the calcutta highway and go via gummidipoondi. Any thoughts on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by druva (Post 781465)

I actually checked this thread but there were no updates on the routes by the thread owner after the trip , so had to start a new thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_Safari (Post 782269)

Me too want to go. I read in Hindu that the last 2-3 km is not motorable in car. Either bikes or walk. If you go, please update us.

Quote:

Mapmyindia tells me that the total distance from annanagar to srikalahasti is 116.7 km and hope i can cover this in approx 2 hours.
My plans are to use the calcutta highway and go via gummidipoondi. Any thoughts on this?
Route is correct. Calcutta highway - road conditions are good. However compared to bangalore highway - there are too many road blocks (the police barricades) and people crossing! :Frustrati

And I am not sure about the road quality between Tada and Kalahasti. You may want to consider the route suggested by arvindwarrier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by druva (Post 782811)
Me too want to go. I read in Hindu that the last 2-3 km is not motorable in car. Either bikes or walk. If you go, please update us.

Will definitely do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by druva (Post 782811)
You may want to consider the route suggested by arvindwarrier.

The route suggested by arvind is the same as mine. The calcutta highway is called the NH5

Quote:

I dont think going to Tada falls in april is a good idea. You'll only see "Tada", not falls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajagopalang (Post 783838)
I dont think going to Tada falls in april is a good idea. You'll only see "Tada", not falls.

Going through wikitravel and other websites i too feel the same but will give it a shot anyway especially because i am planning to start early on Sunday and will have plenty of time on the way back.

So starting as per plan tomorrow at 07:00. This is the first trip which i am planning to track from the start and planning to write a travelogue after the trip.

Done the trip today. Up and down total kms was 225. NH5 road conditions simply awesome. As mentioned already there were number of huge speed breakers on the road deviating from NH5 to Kalahasti. More writeup on this will follow when i find time this week. Here are few photos from the trip.

NH5 does look decent. Might go myself one of these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitwiz1 (Post 785577)
NH5 does look decent. Might go myself one of these days

There were atleast 5 occasions when lorries came in the opposite lane(my lane) just to avoid travelling distance to take an U-turn. I spotted them from a distance and moved lanes. So just watchout for this when you travel.

I'm curious to know the status of Tada falls now. How is it? Planning to go this weekend. Is it worth?