Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2017, 22:20   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chennai - Pollachi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Many have taken the Bannari-Bhavani Sagar road. But dont know how Puliampatti connection is. Annur-Somannur-Karnampettai to Palladan-Pollachi road should be good till NH67 (Sulur-Palladam). But I dont know beyond. I have seen that intersection on the Palladam-Pollachi road.
We took the Sathyamangalam route till Annur as we didn't want to take a chance going via Bhavanisagar - Banari Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Puliampatti to Somanur roads are better these days.

Beyond that
Somanur --> Karanampettai --> Karadivavi --> Kamanaiken palayam --> Pollachi
will be the ideal route, but I don't have latest information on this route.

Instead,
Karanampettai --> Palladam --> Pollachi
will be safe bet with superb roads (2 lane)
From annur we took the Annur - Somanur - Karnampettai - Pollachi route and road condition is good all through.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:06   #62
BHPian

Friends,

Has anyone done Chennai to Pollachi route recently? I am planning to drive this Friday. Kindly suggest the best route.
Old 23rd May 2018, 17:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubramoniamAB View Post
Chennai to Pollachi
You have 2 choices:

1. Madras-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi
2. Madras-Trichy-Karur-Aravakurichi-Kannivadi-Mulanur-Dharapuram-Pollachi

Both involve negotiating some city traffic (Trichy/Salem depending on the route you choose) and have good roads otherwise.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:48   #64
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Pollachi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You have 2 choices:

Both involve negotiating some city traffic (Trichy/Salem depending on the route you choose) and have good roads otherwise.
Thank you narayans80. Could you please suggest which route to choose based on roads condition?
Old 23rd May 2018, 19:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you narayans80. Could you please suggest which route to choose based on roads condition?
We took the first route onward on our way to Valparai and had thick truck traffic on the way to Pollachi.

The second route via Trichy is much longer but the roads were good and traffic much less. Of course when you are skirting Trichy city the traffic can get very thick depending on the time of day.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 19:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
We took the first route onward on our way to Valparai and had thick truck traffic on the way to Pollachi.

The second route via Trichy is much longer but the roads were good and traffic much less. Of course when you are skirting Trichy city the traffic can get very thick depending on the time of day.
Thank you, Suresh. This helps. I will stick to the below route. Since my travel is on Friday, I expect moderate traffic en-route.

Madras-Trichy-Karur-Aravakurichi-Kannivadi-Mulanur-Dharapuram-Pollachi
Old 23rd May 2018, 19:37   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any specific section which was bad in traffic? Or it was generic?
Usually the last leg before Salem has heavy traffic and once past its the standard Coimbattore bound traffic. Thats what has been my experience in the past.
Old 23rd May 2018, 23:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:

We did not take the Avinashi - Palladam route. We took a left before Avinashi and were stuck in the 2 lane traffic. The actual route posted is 4 lane through Pollachi the last 40 odd kms where the road widening work is going on but still very less traffic.

I suggest the Ulundurpet - Salem - Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi
Old 24th May 2018, 09:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read your travelogue, you guys went through Tiruppur. Tiruppur town is where you'd have lost time, due to its infamous traffic.

The one I am suggesting is Avinashi bypass-Mangalam-Palladam. Beyond Palladam, the route is common.

Quote:
Could you please suggest which route to choose based on roads condition?
- I don't have a comparison. I've done route 2 from Dharapuram to Madras. Progress on Trichy bypass will be slow (40-70 kph).
- Trichy bypass to Chatram will be even slower, this 2 km or so section is like driving in OMR
- Once past the turn to Karur at Chatram, its narrow-slow-difficult to overtake till you cross Jeeyapuram. After which it'll slowly easy out.

Budget 20 mins to take Karur road.

- Pettavathalai-Mayanur is wide 2-lane. Mayanur-Karur bypass is 4-laned. Karur bypass-Aravakurichi is NH7.
- You have to cross Aravakurichi town, which'll maximum take 5 mins.
- Aravakurichi-Kannivadi is beautiful empty 2-lane roads. Beyond that till Dharapuram trucks will give some company, not much of a bother though.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 15:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have a comparison. I've done route 2 from Dharapuram to Madras. Progress on Trichy bypass will be slow (40-70 kph).
Thanks a lot again narayans80. Due to the all party strike announcement on Friday, I am planning to travel on Saturday.

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2018 at 20:19. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 15th September 2018, 12:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

Just an update from a recent trip to Pollachi (August 2018). We did Vellore - Coimbatore (stop) - Pollachi - Vellore via Salem
The Coimbatore to Pollachi drive was terrible initially with a lot of roadwork and closures and construction. Once you neared Pollachi, it was lovely green drive.

Return, we did Pollachi - Avinashi - Salem, etc. I found this road better than the Coimbatore drive and quite scenic in stretches. My son loved these windmills we saw on the way!
Old 28th April 2022, 16:58   #72
BANNED

Quote:
You have 2 choices:

Planning to do Madras-Pollachi on Sat. Is route #1 is better than #2?
Old 28th April 2022, 19:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Planning to do Madras-Pollachi on Sat. Is route #1 is better than #2?
Neither has bad roads. You will have to drive some bit (~ 100 kms) of 2-lane roads either way. I would suggest to try Salem route since the peripheral city traffic you deal will be on divider separated roads over 2-lane roads after Trichy (Chatram-Pettavathalai-Mayanoor)
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 19:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

If route 1 goes like this : Ulundurpet -> Kallakurichi -> Salem -> Sankari -> Erode -> Tiruppur -> Palladam -> Pollachi, then there will intermittent two laned roads. You will have a mix of tolled and two lane state highways.

However, if you want to stick dual carriage highway predominantly (multiple tolls enroute), then, before proceeding further at Salem, turn left to go to Rasipuram -> Namakkal -> Karur -> Aravakurichi -> Dharapuram -> Pollachi. Till Aravakurichi, excellent road (you can avoid Namakkal toll, if you exit the highway before Namakkal and proceed towards Mohanur and get back to the same highway at Manmangalam; in fact, the travel distance is also reduced, if I remember correctly); from Aravakurichi to Pollachi will be OK (don't think there will be heavy traffic and can have a pleasant drive on the two lane roads)
Old 28th April 2022, 20:24   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Neither has bad roads. You will have to drive some bit (~ 100 kms) of 2-lane roads either way. I would suggest to try Salem route since the peripheral city traffic you deal will be on divider separated roads over 2-lane roads after Trichy (Chatram-Pettavathalai-Mayanoor)
I don't mind 2-lane roads without divider. I prioritize stress free drive (less potholes, traffic) thro shortest distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
If route 1 goes like this : Ulundurpet -> Kallakurichi -> Salem -> Sankari -> Erode -> Tiruppur -> Palladam -> Pollachi, then there will intermittent two laned roads. You will have a mix of tolled and two lane state highways.

However, if you want to stick dual carriage highway predominantly (multiple tolls enroute), then, before proceeding further at Salem, turn left to go to Rasipuram -> Namakkal -> Karur -> Aravakurichi -> Dharapuram -> Pollachi. Till Aravakurichi, excellent road (you can avoid Namakkal toll, if you exit the highway before Namakkal and proceed towards Mohanur and get back to the same highway at Manmangalam;
Can you share the google map? I believe this will be longer route due to deviation from highways, isn't it? How about Mds-Ulundurpet-Kallakurichi-Chinnasalem-Attur-Salem-Perundurai-Karumuthampatti-Palladam-Pollachi?

So, going by my requirement of stress free drive, least travel time, can you suggest the best route? Gmap always shows Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-Avinashi-Karumathampatti-Kinathukadavu-Pollachi as the shortest route!

Last edited by Wheels : 28th April 2022 at 20:39. Reason: added a route option

Most Viewed