Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 15:33   #136
Senior - BHPian

folks,

I need your help. I am planning for a Bangalore-Kodai-Munnar trip this weekend and i am a little confused about the best options to take.

Blr->Kodaikanal
Most popular route in TBHP seems to be:
Blr -> Hosur -> K'giri -> Thopur -> Mettur -> bavani -> chennamalai -> dharapuram -> palani -> kodai (distance 445KM).

But i was told that the Salem route is much better now, and it would be faster to use compared to the Mettur-Bhavani Route. Can anyone recommend which one's better as of now (as in better roads and shortest travel time).

I will be starting at 5:30 AM. About what time can i expect to reach Kodai? (i heard its about 10 hours drive)

Munnar:
Can someone give me directions to reach Kodai->Munnar? I hear many routes (Dindigul->Theni->Kumali) but i am confused as to whats the best route to take.

thanks for your time and suggestions!
Old 14th September 2009, 16:01   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Munnar:
Can someone give me directions to reach Kodai->Munnar? I hear many routes (Dindigul->Theni->Kumali) but i am confused as to whats the best route to take.

thanks for your time and suggestions!
I am not sure but geographically the route you mentioned does not look right,

As far as I know this was a good route,Kodai-Theni,then turn to NH-49 and go on to Munnar via Devikulam.It is around 100kms and should take around 2hours.

Wait to see if you have an update on latest road conditions from other TBhpians or an alternate route.

Kumily would be far as you have to go down and then climb back to Munnar.Dindigul lies exactly on the other side of Munnar.So makes no sense.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:03   #138
Senior - BHPian

The best route for you is to go via the "Tbhp Recommends" route. The other route via Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalagundu - Kodai would be fine as well but could take you longer time. Its not the Thoppur - Salem which is so much of an issue but beyond Salem which could delay your progress.

With regard to the other query the straightforward route is to take the Kodai - Vattalagundu (dont take the left onto Vattalagundu once you reach the plains instead take the right towards Periakkulam) - Periakulam - Theni - Bodi - Munnar. You would have enough sign boards to help your progress don't worry about getting confused with the routes
Old 14th September 2009, 20:32   #139
Senior - BHPian

thanks Ranjith and Srikanth for your inputs.

Srikanth, any idea how long the Kodai-Munnar drive would take?
Old 14th September 2009, 20:44   #140
BHPian

Am planning Bangalore to Kodai as well for the 19th weekend. Based on what I have read, the Mettur-dharmapuram-palani route seems best. The latest travelogues thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-swift-d.html also seems to suggest good road conditions.
Old 14th September 2009, 21:17   #141
Senior - BHPian

Nipun - that's a good link - thanks. Let me read that up.
where are you staying? I am in Kodai Resort.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:28   #142
BHPian

SkyWalker - i'll be at JC Residency
Old 15th September 2009, 15:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks Ranjith and Srikanth for your inputs.

Srikanth, any idea how long the Kodai-Munnar drive would take?
It should not take you more than 4 hours conservatively, a good drive down the ghats upto Bodi and then 45 minutes to the turn off to Kodai before Vathalagundu, another an hour or so ghat drive to Kodai from there.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:04   #144
BHPian

There is still a route directly from munnar to kodaikanal, where you will be entering Kodai through Berijam lake.But this route is closed for public traffic. can try with the forest officers there, but you can do that route only in jeep. lot of wildlife activities there. Have done that route when i was in my school along with my parent still cannot forget that route.This route is just 35kms
Old 15th September 2009, 19:45   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
There is still a route directly from munnar to kodaikanal, where you will be entering Kodai through Berijam lake.But this route is closed for public traffic.

.This route is just 35kms
This is closed, the only way to use this road by trek for which permissions are rarely granted by the forest department. You could go upto Berijam lake with prior permission from forest department.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:30   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
Am planning Bangalore to Kodai as well for the 19th weekend. Based on what I have read, the Mettur-dharmapuram-palani route seems best. The latest travelogues thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-swift-d.html also seems to suggest good road conditions.
THis route is highly recommended. Not too much traffic. If you are not sure just ask people on the road and they will be glad to help.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:41   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
There is still a route directly from munnar to kodaikanal, where you will be entering Kodai through Berijam lake.This route is just 35kms
I have read about that from TBHP. Even if its open, i dont think i would dare to take it in my ANHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
You could go upto Berijam lake with prior permission from forest department.
Oh - i was planning to visit Berijam lake. How do i get permissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
THis route is highly recommended. Not too much traffic. If you are not sure just ask people on the road and they will be glad to help.
Thanks. DD mentioned he went directly via Mettur damn and Bahavani. Did you do the same Ash?
Old 15th September 2009, 20:51   #148
BHPian

Quote:

Oh - i was planning to visit Berijam lake. How do i get permissions?

Thanks. DD mentioned he went directly via Mettur damn and Bahavani. Did you do the same Ash?
Yes. Here is a link to my travelogue with details of the route

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1314643

Once there I spoke to the travel desk of my hotel to arrange a trip to the berijam lake. They took care of everything. It was basically a half day trip in a minibus. The lake was fantastic. There are some great spots enroute to take pics and spend time with family.
If possible you should go there.
Here are some berijam pics
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1314739

Last edited by ash_blore : 15th September 2009 at 20:52.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:59   #149
Senior - BHPian

thanks Ash. Will check that.
I guess i will request the same with my Hotel.
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:38   #150
BHPian

Hi, We are planning a road trip from kodaikanal to munnar. It would be really helpful if somenone provides the current status of roads. We are planning to take the Theni-devikulam route.
My keralite friend says the road conditions are bad and we'll encounter thick foggy conditions which would make the drive real hard and ? dangerous.
Waiting in for your inputs guys
Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks