Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 10:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Guys, any recomendations for stay in Kodai?
My (& our family's) last visit was 25yrs ago when I was a kid, any advice would be welcome.
Its 4 guys, One red hot hatch & hi spirits.
cheers:
We stayed at Hill Country Resorts in December '07. Little away from the city, but a very nice place.

Hote Shivapriya is a popular place, with in the city.

You should be able to get contact details for these and many others from the web.

Regards
Rex
Old 10th April 2008, 10:36   #17
BHPian

If you need a private bungalow the best deals are The Rands, Kodai Abode, Dalethorpe, else you can give a try at these hotels Carlton Hotel, Kodai International, Kodai International
Have a nice and safe trip !!
Old 10th April 2008, 19:31   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys
cheers:
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
If you want to cut short some more time and have a better scenery, you could take Bangalore - Hosur (take right towards Rayakottai) - Rayakottai - Palacode bypass - Dharmapur bypass - Thoppur - Mechari - Mettur bypass - Bhavani - Perunthurai ........

You would miss the GQ for a distance of 45 kms from Hosur - Krishnagiri and save 25 odd kms. You would also not have to deal with the 4 laning from Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri and also driving through Dharmapuri which can take quite sometime in peak hours.

Hi all, driving to kodai this sunday 25th . Is there any improvement of the stretch b/w krishna & dharma on GQ NH7. I've driven on the rayakottai road, though its mostly traffic free, you can't do really high speeds as you pass through villages & road is narrow. I'm going to take Hvkumar's directions from Dharmapuri though. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-dfine View Post
Hi all, driving to kodai this sunday 25th . Is there any improvement of the stretch b/w krishna & dharma on GQ NH7.
I've done this stretch two weeks back. Roads are relatively better. Construction is still on (and will be on still Dec/08 as per their hoardings).

Regards
Rex
Old 27th May 2008, 10:50   #21
BHPian

Need help - Night Halt

Hi all,

I am going to take the same route as suggested by any others (Palani - Kodai). But, I would be starting in the afternoon around 2 PM. I do not want to drive through the Kodai ghats in the night. Can you please suggest a place for night halt? As I am travelling tomorrow, a quick reply would be greatly helpful in further planning.

Thanks,
Old 27th May 2008, 12:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrs View Post
Hi all,

I am going to take the same route as suggested by any others (Palani - Kodai). But, I would be starting in the afternoon around 2 PM. I do not want to drive through the Kodai ghats in the night. Can you please suggest a place for night halt? As I am travelling tomorrow, a quick reply would be greatly helpful in further planning.

Thanks,
Your time of departure, would help everyone to answer your query.
cheers:
Old 27th May 2008, 12:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Udumalaipet and Palani have good hotels. It is not difficult to drive up to Kodai from Palani at night, in case you have a confirmed hotel booking, please go on Kodai.
Old 27th May 2008, 14:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Your time of departure, would help everyone to answer your query.
cheers:
As mentioned in my earlier post, I am planning to start Bangalore at 2 PM in the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Udumalaipet and Palani have good hotels. It is not difficult to drive up to Kodai from Palani at night, in case you have a confirmed hotel booking, please go on Kodai.
Thank you for your advice. I was told that this route (Palani-to-Kodaikanal) is very accident prone. Many of my office-mates are advising me to take the Dindigul route. Can you please advise? I'll mark this forum's words and take the decision which it suggests.

Last edited by anilrs : 27th May 2008 at 15:04.
Old 27th May 2008, 15:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your advice. I was told that this route (Palani-to-Kodaikanal) is very accident prone. Many of my office-mates are advising me to take the Dindigul route. Can you please advise? I'll mark this forum's words and take the decision which it suggests.
Pls dont care what your office mates say. Just blindly follow what hvKumar tells.

Every road is accident prone if you dont take care of your own driving. Just take of your own rules while driving rest generally will be taken care off.

Just my 2paisa
Abhi
Old 27th May 2008, 15:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Pls dont care what your office mates say. Just blindly follow what hvKumar tells.

Every road is accident prone if you dont take care of your own driving. Just take of your own rules while driving rest generally will be taken care off.

Just my 2paisa
Abhi
Thank you, Abhi. I was waiting just for one confirmation to decide on the Palani route.

Would anyone be able to suggest some good hotel name along with its contact in Udumalaipet or Palani? If I decide to stop at Udumalaipet for night, then wouldn't I be deviating from the Dharapuram - Palani route? Anyone has idea about the distance between Udumalaipet and Palani? Also, if you can give me a good hotel contact at Palani, it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th May 2008, 15:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned in my earlier post, I am planning to start Bangalore at 2 PM in the afternoon.

Surprising this news of Palani-Kodai being accicent-prone. It is only 65 kms (of which 51 kms are ghats), has very litttle traffic and road condition is good. On the other hand, the Dindigul route is congested, and has lots of bus traffic. You will find several accounts of tbhians who have ttravelle don this route and no one has had any probelms.

The Dindigul route is longer and you have to go via Karur region (where roads are being widened), besides travelling through several small villages and towns.
Old 27th May 2008, 18:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

My office friend did this route a couple of weekends back and he says that the road conditions are pretty good. Traffic is definitely less. However he said that the regular cabbies who drive on that route tend to rip downhill. So just watch out at the corners and keep honking.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:19   #29
BHPian

Thanks to all for supporting. I've decide to take the Palani - Kodai route. I'll update you with travelogue soon after the trip.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If I decide to stop at Udumalaipet for night, then wouldn't I be deviating from the Dharapuram - Palani route? Anyone has idea about the distance between Udumalaipet and Palani?
True if you need to stay in Udumalaipet, you need to deviate from Dharapuram - Palani route or you can go to Palani and then go to Udumalaipet.
It is 30 kms from Palani and you can also deviate from Dharapuram to Udumalpet and it is around 40 or 50 kms as I vaguely remember.

BTW Dharapuram Palani is around 30 kms.

The roads will be good in Dharapuram - Palani - Udumalpet road.

However I would suggest to find a hotel in Palani. Not sure of any names to recomment.

Most Viewed