Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 09:23   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks. We booked in Sanu International Namakkal before seeing your post, hope it is an ok place. Break at Vatalgundu sounds like a good option.
Did a last minute change, cancelled Sanu and booked in Hotel Shanthi Inn Grand Rasipuram.

Did this due to two reasons, 1. All recent reviews on Sanu in TripAdviser is not sounding good, 2. Rasipuram is almost 40 mts before Sanu while coming from Salem, that helps to reduce my night drive.

Thanks once again to all, I will share the feedback on Shanthi Inn.
Old 4th January 2019, 14:34   #287
BHPian

Kodaikanal, an impromptu travel from Bangalore

Good travel plans are made long before the journey starts. But the best travel plans are always made at the last minute.
It's the last week of Dec 2018. Bangalore is all decked up in the spirit of Christmas. It's almost dinner time on the evening of 26th, when we are enjoying our quintessential 'adda' with a friend couple. The discussion veers towards travelling when my friend suddenly declares - 'I wish we can go on a long drive'.
- 'When'?
- 'Right Now'
- ‘!!!!’
I look at others, who seem as astonished as I am. Then there is a sudden burst of excited conversation over the destination. Long story short, phone calls are placed to our respective offices, request for leaves are made & granted, destination is finalized which happens to be Kodaikanal. All of these, in 5 minutes flat. Who says Bengalis can't be efficient?

So we rush through our dinner, gather whatever winter-wear is on that front row of the wardrobe and set off for Kodai. The clock struck 2 AM when we exited city limits and our car kissed highway tarmac. The two toddlers of the two families were the most energetic of the lot and it was a few hours before they decided to have mercy on us and slept. I drove on through the night past the big cities and small hamlets, always wondering how different these same places will be to travel during daytime. The sun came up, the car chugged on merrily and reached the winding hilly roads that lead to Kodai. We took a short break, stretched our legs and set off for the hillclimb. The 'ghat' road went on and on, from one hill to the next and then another, with wonderful curves lined with pines & eucalypti. Cornering the car was so much fun in those roads. Finally we reached Kodaikanal at half past 10 and settled in a homestay.

Kodaikanal, is like any true blue Indian hill station - beautiful, crowded, noisy, charming, broken roads and spectacular views. At the center of all the humdrum of this small town is a beautiful lake. It is a man made lake, created during the Raj some 150 odd years ago. One can hire rowboats, pedal boats or even rent a 'Shikara' to take a tour of the lake which, as per folklore, is in the shape of British ruled India. There is a cycling path along the periphery of the lake and couples can be seen enjoying in tandem bicycles. Opposite to the lake is a quiet little park called Bryant Park. Our little ones ran around on the open grounds in the park while we adults indulged ourselves with selfie and groupfie sessions. It was well past sunset when we decided to return to our homestay. A crackling campfire welcomed us when we returned. We downed a few glasses of fine red-wine, put on our dancing shoes and soon found ourselves dancing around the fire. Another hour later, dinner was served outdoor. Chicken masala never tasted better, I swear. And then we called it a night.

The next morning, we woke up to the sound of birds chirping. We had a cab already waiting at the door. After a hurried breakfast of bread-n-omlette, we packed ourselves into the cab and set off towards our first destination of the day - Coakers walk. It’s a small walkway on the edge of a mountain-cliff providing breathtaking view of the valley below. Spent some time there taking in the view; the crowd started swelling after sometime, so we decided to move on. The next stop for us was the famous ‘pine tree forest’. A forest situated at the outskirts of Kodai, consisting age old pine trees and a vegetation so dense that it feels like evening inside the forest even on broad daylight. We reached the forest entrance at noon; by that time, a dense fog had already started setting in. The gigantic pines seemed to trap the fog inside the forest; our eyes could not see beyond a few trees ahead. The whole milieu resembled a horror movie set. We had a gala time soaking in the mist & fog, the kids busied themselves collecting pine-nuts. After an hour or so chilling in the forest, we proceeded to our next stop ‘Pillar rocks’. It is basically a viewpoint which offers a nice view to the valley as well as 2 pillar-like hills standing side-by-side. When we reached the view-point, the whole area was engulfed in thick fog and nothing beyond a few feet was visible, let alone the pillar rocks. We waited for some time for the fog to lift, but it became more dense as the minutes passed. After an agonizing half-an-hour, we gave up waiting and proceeded to our next (and last) stop - ‘Kurinji Andavar Temple’. ‘Kurinji’ (also known as ‘Neelakurinji’) is the name of a plant which grows abundantly as bushes on the hills of Munnar and Kodaikanal (and a little bit on the Nilgiris too). The purple/blue flower of ‘Kurinji’ blooms every 12 years post monsoon and stays on for around 3 months. The hills turn purple every 12 years during these 3 months. 2018 was the year when Kurinji bloomed during July to October. The ‘Kurinji Andavar Temple’ visit was special for us as we came to know there were few Kurinji flowers still in bloom in the temple although the season was practically over and would resume again in 2030! As luck would have it, we found the elusive ‘Kurinji’ at the temple entrance itself. A brief photosession of the flower followed and we returned to our homestay after that.

It was already 4 PM, hunger pangs were severe and we settled for some delicious grilled chicken and mutton pepper fry. Had our bellies filled & thirst quenched - we decided to start for our home in Bangalore! Checked out of the homestay and went on a spree to do some last-minute shopping before we return. Kodaikanal is one of the best chocolate hubs in South India (besides Ooty & Coorg). There are shops of all shapes and sizes strewn across the town peddling home-made chocolates. We collected a few varieties of chocolates and raided a few souvenir shops. Finally with lighter wallets and heavier bags, we loaded up the car and started from Kodaikanal towards Bangalore. The sun was setting when we started on the descent. Fog was gradually descending on Kodaikanal and the sight of the hills on our way downhill were so overwhelmingly beautiful that it was difficult to concentrate on driving. We took a small ‘Chai’ break in the evening and again soldiered on. Stopped at a decent hotel to have dinner at 10.30 PM; Bangalore was still 200 odd KM away. After dinner, it was a peaceful 3 hour drive and we reached home-sweet-home at 2 AM, exhausted but happy to have visited beautiful Kodaikanal.

A few photos from the visit clicked in my Moto G4:

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-46373608_2138763286159046_6019947447655071744_n.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49129645_2138764502825591_7050017438598955008_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49155722_2138763972825644_6686929549164281856_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49203725_2138764282825613_4184321366427697152_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49210984_2138764092825632_4032240332572721152_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49348829_2138763862825655_4961890238629675008_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49503005_2138764819492226_5960217642412277760_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49515734_2138764686158906_7897220087290003456_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49811023_2138763516159023_6169508701506895872_o.jpg
Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries-49837052_2138763726159002_1195894022497894400_o.jpg
ankan.m.blr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 18:58   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Kodaikanal, an impromptu travel from Bangalore
Nice writeup backed by excellent postcard quality pictures. The pictures really capture the beauty of Kodai. Haven't been there yet. After looking at these pics the itch to see the place has only increased. I think this is really the best time to visit with this being post new year offseason.

I feel this post belongs in a separate thread with some more pics here. Will act as a definite motivator for folks like us.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:38   #289
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to go to Kodaikanal next weekend. Will be travelling with kids and elderly parents. After going through the thread the plan is to:

1) Take NH 44 route via Salem-Dindigul
2) Leave by 4 AM so that breakfast is in Salem and Lunch is in Kodai.

Any suggested changes from the above, in light of any latest updates on roads is most welcome.

Now, while I shall try to stick to a 4 AM start, it is not always easy with kids and elderly. So wanted to keep some backup food options. I could also find multiple food joints till Salem, but nothing after Salem. Any suggestions for some good options after Salem would really help.

Thanks,

Sameer
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:55   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post

Now, while I shall try to stick to a 4 AM start, it is not always easy with kids and elderly. So wanted to keep some backup food options. I could also find multiple food joints till Salem, but nothing after Salem. Any suggestions for some good options after Salem would really help.

Thanks,

Sameer

There are a couple of hotels after Salem too. Or you can break for lunch at Karur. If you can travel another hour you can reach dindigul and you have lot of options just off the highway where the NH83 meets NH44. Even after dindigul there is one hotel near batlagundu few kms before you start the climb.

Don't worry about the food and enjoy the drive, especially Salem to Dindigul.
varunanb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 22:45   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Dindigul/Batlagundu/Kodai has much less options. Salem-Karur-Dindigul does have some though.

Post Batlagundu at the Kodai exit, you find good places to halt but mainly for coconut water!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 17:42   #292
BHPian

HI Members,

I am planning to drive to Kodai on 15th of this month. plan to start at 7 AM (due to Rakhi). Will be traveling in 2 cars (Dzire and Duster) with elderly parents and 2 kids (1.5 years and 11 years).

Plan to take the below route: Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.

Kindly advise me on some decent stops for restrooms (must for ladies) and food.

What time can i realistically expect to reach Kodai with a break of an hour?

During return, should i stick to the above route or can i explore route via Palani-Coimbatore-Ooty-Mysore-bangalore (just for the fun of driving via forest roads)
Old 13th August 2019, 20:10   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Plan to take the below route: Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.

Bangalore-Salem has many many options. My take drive till Salem. You should be there by 1000. If you want to break before even then there are many options. Thoppur has A2B and Sai Sangeeth but on the opposite side while going. Krishnagiri has Sri Saravana Bhavan. Post Salem options come down.

If you absolutely need a rest room break and there are no hotels around, next best option is to halt at a good petrol bunk.

Quote:
What time can i realistically expect to reach Kodai with a break of an hour?
If you start 4AM you can make it by 1230. But a 7AM can stretch it a bit thanks to traffic and time at tolls and time taken to get out of Bangalore.

Quote:
During return, should i stick to the above route or can i explore route via Palani-Coimbatore-Ooty-Mysore-bangalore (just for the fun of driving via forest roads)
Same route is the fastest
Old 13th August 2019, 20:29   #294
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to drive to Kodai on 15th of this month. plan to start at 7 AM (due to Rakhi). Will be traveling in 2 cars (Dzire and Duster) with elderly parents and 2 kids (1.5 years and 11 years).
Being a holiday and a long weekend (with people taking Friday off), expect a lot of traffic heading out of Bangalore. Your 7am start will mean that most eateries en route will be crowded, especially ones in the 50-150km range from Bangalore. If you set your level of expectations with this in mind, you should be able to manage. Some options for breakfast and stops in 150km range:
55-60km - HP bunk on left with Krishna Inn & McD
+3km - Sree Saravana Bhavan on left
+3km - A2B on left

140-145km - Annapurna on left
+10km - Sai Sangeet on right inside Indian oil bunk (need to make a U turn to get there. This is about 1.5 km before Thoppur toll).

Last edited by NPV : 13th August 2019 at 20:31.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:49   #295
BHPian

Thanks ampere and NPV for your replies.

We have decided to start at around 5 AM and plan to drive till Salem before stopping for Breakfast and reaching kodai for a late lunch.

Are there are decent stops between salem and Dindigul?
Old 14th August 2019, 14:00   #296
BHPian

Quote:
There is a new A2B after Salem toward Namakkal on your left side, A2B inside Karur (not too far off from Highway).
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:03   #297
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have decided to start at around 5 AM and plan to drive till Salem before stopping for Breakfast and reaching kodai for a late lunch.

Sai Sangeet near Thoppur usually opens at 6:15 and will be a great choice. With your 5am start you should be there around 6:30.

In Salem, you can try Saravana Bhavan Aasai Dosai on right side or Radisson/Grand Estancia for more upmarket buffet breakfast spreads.

About 10-15km after Salem on the way to Namakkal there is an A2B which can be another option.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:08   #298
BHPian

Hello guys,

Planning a drive with 2 options in mind -

1. Kolhapur -> Kodaikannal -> Munnar -> Kolhapur
2. Kolhapur -> Kodaikannal -> Kanyakumar -> Kolhapur

Need some guidance on road conditions and travel time. How about the road from Kodai to Munnar and what should be the preferred road option from Munnar to Kolhapur?
For the 2nd option, it's a straightforward road, but howz the overall road condition? I am planning to drive either next month or during Christmas.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:37   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Hello guys,
1. Kolhapur -> Kodaikannal -> Munnar -> Kolhapur
2. Kolhapur -> Kodaikannal -> Kanyakumar -> Kolhapur
I think the second option makes more sense as it gives you a variety of places to see. And since this adds Kanyakumari; Kodai is easier on the route than Munnar.
Old 14th October 2019, 10:43   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the second option makes more sense as it gives you a variety of places to see. And since this adds Kanyakumari; Kodai is easier on the route than Munnar.
Yes, I agree with that! How about road conditions? Anything to worry about?

Starting from Kolhapur, I am planning to break the journey at Bangalore or Hosur, any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks