Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 19:33   #76
BHPian

An update from another thread (Bangalore to Trichy - Route Condition ) on road condition between Salem and Namakkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
I took just 45 minutes to 1 hour. Yes, you could do constant speeds at some stretches except for the places where there are diversions, fly over construction work going on at Rasipuram junctions. One or two villages are yet to get bye-passes (work under progress) and there you need to join the single lane again. Better to be very careful on this stretch as both the lanes are used for both side traffic as of now, since there are no clear directions mentioned. Hence vechicles plying on both the sides that too both the sides are two - way. That is its like two parallel single lane roads.
Old 29th March 2009, 22:13   #77
BHPian

I traveled till Munnar from Bangalore in through the Mettur-Dharapuram-udumalPettai route this week. The road till Dharapuram is in good condition and the timings mentioned above stands good (with a 30 mins break) till Dharapuram.

I enquired at Dharapuram and the feedback is that the road till Palani also is in good shape now.

So, Kodai - in this route would be possible in 9-10Hrs comfortably.
Old 1st April 2009, 19:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
I traveled till Munnar from Bangalore in through the Mettur-Dharapuram-udumalPettai route this week.
--------------
So, Kodai - in this route would be possible in 9-10Hrs comfortably.
Great! I am planning a trip to Kodaikanal on 7th April. I prefer the 4 laned roads but will try this.

Good report Guys
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:57   #79

Blr to kodai

Have you tried this route ? please tell yr experience with this route
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkuruvilla View Post
Have you tried this route ? please tell yr experience with this route
Which route, buddy? There are a few optons to go to Kodaikanal. I suggest you read the previous posts. They have been updated within the last 1 week. All the information that you would need is present in the previous posts. After that if you have a specific query I'm sure everyone will be glad to answer.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:27   #81
Senior - BHPian

NH47 Query!

Slightly OT:

Searched everywhere but could not find any information on this route.

Is the four-laning from Salem to Sankari completed or is it still going on?
Old 4th April 2009, 15:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

I am just back from Blre - Kodai - munnar - bangalore. Vehicle : Maruti Alto.

Road update: Vijayanagar - Bangalore - mysore road - NICE road (entire stretch is in good condition even connecting roads around bannergatta road) all the way till hosur road - krishnagiri - dharmapuri - thoppur = 170km excellant 4 lane road. Travel time 4 hrs with 45 min break.

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! in mapmyindia they added NICE road route recently i feel.

Thoppur - mettur - bhavani = 70km excellant 2 lane road, Travel time 90min. with 15 min break.

Then lunch break of 45min.

Bhavani - Perundurai NH47 = 20km 4 lane road, 99% completed. Travel time 15 min.

Perundurai - kangayam - dharapuram - palani = 100km very good 2 lane road, Travel time 2 hrs with 20 min break.

Palani - Kodaikanal = 65km, Travel time 3 hrs with 90 min multiple breaks.

So bangalore - kodai = 430km aprox. with almost 12 hrs. with 3 hrs 30min break.

Kodaikanal - (bit of patchy roads) - Theni - bodynayakanoor = 100km. travel time 3 hrs with 45min multiple break.

Direct road to munnar was blocked in day time so we took alternate route (thanks to TBHPians who guided me)

bodynayakanoor - Kumbam - KumbaMettu - shantapara - poopara - chinnakanal - Munnar = 150km, travel time 4:30 hrs. with 1 hr break.

munnar - Marayoor - Udumlupet = 85km , 3 hrs with 45min break. only bit of patchy road. rest all places even though SH roads they are better than Karnataka national highway quality.

Udumlupet - dharapuram = 37km, travel time 30min.

From Dharapuram to Bangalore its same route that we took while going to kodai and we left dharapuram at 8:15am and reached bangalore home by 4pm with lot of break including 1 hr. buffet lunch at renaissance, hosur.

Munnar - Bangalore = aprox. 450km, travel time 12hrs. with 3 hrs break.

50% Ac used, normal Tamil nadu fuel all the way, FE 19.7kmpl, total distance travelled: 1300km including 300km ghat roads.

In thoppur ghat I met Innova with family, he said lot of diversions between thoppur and towards salem - dindgul so on.. in 4 lane work and its not completed yet.

Ravi.

PS sorry for any TYPO.

Last edited by ravibhat : 4th April 2009 at 16:03.
Old 4th April 2009, 16:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, Thats a wonderful update of road conditions. Nice to know the Palani route is fast as well and all the 2 laners are in good condition.

Where is your travelogue buddy? This trip calls for one isnt it?

Abhi
Old 4th April 2009, 17:33   #84
BHPian

Ravi- awesome! Thanks for the detailed road info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Palani - Kodaikanal = 65km, Travel time 3 hrs with 90 min multiple breaks.
Well- can you tell me the road condition of this stretch?
Old 4th April 2009, 18:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Excellant road between Palani - Kodai too, we took lot of photos and stopped in many many places so it took 3 hours.

Patchy roads I travelled in Tamil nadu and Kerala are better than good roads of Karnataka Man I pray/wish If party rules in centre and Karnataka so we get better funds at least this time for better infrastructure.

I heard in 14 months from now, roads will be in much better shape in Karnataka. Lets wait and watch. Already I can see in Karnataka lot of improvement in roads from last 6 months.

Ravi.
Old 4th April 2009, 19:18   #86
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, that means a planned route change for me
Old 4th April 2009, 22:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ravi for the update. If all goes well, I am heading to Kodai next weekend and this information is really useful.
Old 4th April 2009, 22:37   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Kodaikanal - (bit of patchy roads) - Theni - bodynayakanoor = 100km. travel time 3 hrs with 45min multiple break.

Direct road to munnar was blocked in day time so we took alternate route (thanks to TBHPians who guided me)
Who gave you this information that Bodinaykannur - Pooppara road is blocked? It is in excellent condition now and open for traffic. I travelled through that road in last week end (29th Mar).

At some patches, the road tarring work is going on - but one lane is open and i think the work will get over in couple of weeks.

If you take this route, bodinaykannur to Munnar would be 66Kms and travel time would be 2.5 to 3 Hrs with some good breaks (to take snaps - route is very scenic).
Old 7th April 2009, 12:16   #89
Team-BHP Support

Update from Ajmat on the Bangy-Kodai route.

The roads are good despite diversions. He did the entire trip in 7.5 hours without pushing the car except for the hill climb. lol.

There was minimal traffic and he went via Salem Karur route.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

I travelled on April 1st (it was not April fool as road work was in full swing) from Kodaikanal to Munnar via theni-bodynayakanur, unfortunately on that day road was blocked for repair. I waited there for 1 hour to see If I can get permission since checkpost Police said small cars can pass by but they are not allowing traffic. We (group of 2-3 cars) thought of getting permission during lunch time but it didn't work. Kerala tourist bus also came back and took alternate route. So we head back to bodynayakanur and had lunch in Rajbhavan hotel and proceeded via Kambam which is 70+km extra with good roads.

So its good that via Karur also road is good.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks