Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2019, 23:33   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

Friends - Planning to drive to Chikmagalur this weekend from Hyderabad. The last update I see on this thread is almost 9 months old. Can you please let me know the best route? Planning to start at 5 AM from Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance.
Shiva
Old 3rd June 2019, 06:24   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotha View Post
Can you please let me know the best route? Planning to start at 5 AM from Hyderabad.
Its the same routing which we have been discussing in this thread.

- Drive till Devanahalli.
- Take 207 to Doddaballapur
- Take SH to Nelamanagala.
- Get on to the Hassan 4-lane.

(Ref: Link

I would suggest starting by 0330 or 0400 or so. That would help reach Devanahalli by about 10/1030. Add an hour for Nelamanagala and another 3.5 to 4 to Chikkamagulur.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:12   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its the same routing which we have been discussing in this thread.

I would suggest starting by 0330 or 0400 or so.

Hi Ampere - Thanks for the details. Any specific reason for the suggested start time slot? Are the roads nearer to Chikmagalur OK to drive in the late evenings/early nights?
Old 4th June 2019, 12:27   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotha View Post
Are the roads nearer to Chikmagalur OK to drive in the late evenings/early nights?
Roads are absolutely fine and can be driven at night. Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagaluru is 2L undivided road and some curved sections have dividers pop up out of no where, hence need to be careful. I think ampere's point was early start = more time at homestay/resort at chikkamagulur.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 21:21   #140
BHPian

We're planning a weekend trip to Chikmanglur (from Hyderabad) sometime later this this month.
I was checking maps and found the fastest route to be via Hiriyur, after getting off NH 44 at Anantapur.

Is this really the best route, or is Google maps playing around? If any of you have been through this route recently, please advice.

Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries-screenshot-20210206-9.14.41-pm.png
Old 6th February 2021, 21:58   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
We're planning a weekend trip to Chikmanglur (from Hyderabad) sometime later this this month.
I was checking maps and found the fastest route to be via Hiriyur, after getting off NH 44 at Anantapur.

Is this really the best route, or is Google maps playing around? If any of you have been through this route recently, please advice.
Google isn't playing. In fact the deviation from Ananthapur towards Kalyandurg indeed can be faster. I did suggest this as an option not so long ago too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The whole route are good to decent facilities to stop by for all your breaks unlike the detour via Bellary or Kalyandurg. In fact, I also had driven the Dabaspete - Madhugiri - Pavadagada - Kalyandurg - Ananthpur section 2 months before and had reported the road conditions to be extremely good all throughout that I would have easily suggested this right by deviation off Mangalore - Bangalore Corridor for Shivagange - Dabaspet - Madhugiri option to directly touch Ananthapur but the, all of this would be single carriageway and no facilities.
However, you need not do Kalyandurg to Hiriyur. Instead better to do Kalyandurg to Dabaspete via Madhugiri and then take Dabaspet Shivanange Gudemaranahalli to hit the 4 lane Bangalore Mangalore highway here. Sticking to this will mean you are on a corridor with good break points that won't be the case with other options.

Other option is to simply drive all the way till Devanahalli and do Doddaballapura Dabaspet and follow the above to reach Gudemaranahalli.

Will certainly save quite some time (and efforts) to reach Hassan highway.

Devanahalli to Doddaballapura is OK. Doddaballapura to Dabaspet is easily manageable too. So, from Devanahalli fork to Dabaspet an hour at max. Dabaspet to Gudemaranahalli another 30 minutes. If you did the above via Bangalore city/Hebbal, it will easily take an hour more and few tolls too. And really, your cause for worry, in terms of traffic should be once you are nearing Hebbal after the Airport and for that the ideal point to escape would be Devanahalli.

Here's the route : Devanahalli Doddaballapura Dabaspet Shivanange Gudemaranahalli

And here are the options. The one highlighted is what I would suggest. Though at this time of the day it is slower than the fastest which is from the city, during the day you will easily realise it's benefits. To add to that, the stress factor when you are crossing a city will not be there.

Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries-screenshot_20210206220005762_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th February 2021 at 22:04.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:30   #142
Senior - BHPian

This thread has been dormant for some time.
I am planning to drive from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur in the 2nd half of October.
I am planning to stick to the route given by Ampere above -

- Drive till Devanahalli,
- Take 207 to Doddaballapur -

I plan to start by 5 AM, reach Devanahalli by 12 noon. Have lunch (30 mins).
Reach Chikmagalur by 5:30 PM.

Does this sound reasonable?
Any suggestions for lunch - restaurants with decent rest rooms?

Though Google is suggesting a shorter route, I am thinking to stick to this route because of availability of better availability of restaurants and restrooms.
Old 30th September 2021, 21:00   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
- Drive till Devanahalli,
- Take 207 to Doddaballapur -
While the route from Devanahalli to Doddaballapur is pretty much good, the route from Doddaballapur to Nelamangala remains a mixed bag, thanks to the expansion of Nelamangala Doddaballapur road.

I take this section very regularly to reach my home in North Bangalore and hence I am sure the latest update can help you get prepared even if you were to take this route.

4km before Nelamangala starting from Gollahalli remains pothole ridden. Expect slow progress here. The remaining section beyond this till Doddaballapur too isn't that good due to expansion work.

Hence, considering that you are going to enter Bangalore around noon, you are still better off taking the following route:

Devanahalli - Hebbal - Outer Ring Road - Goreguntepalya - NBTL Elevated road - Nelemangala

- Devanahalli to Hebbal will take you around 30 minutes
- Hebbal to Goreguntepalya another 20 minutes
- Goreguntepalya to Nelamnagala will take roughly 25 minutes including

Around noon, Hebbal traffic, especially when you are going to turn right below the flyover and not necessarily climb it will be lesser. Your only bottleneck will be the ROB where traffic would move but at much slower pace due to the narrow bridge.

In summary, I would not recommend the bypass option via Doddaballapura to Nelamangala today only due to its current state. Or else, this is a very good option to escape Bangalore from a distance!

Quote:
Any suggestions for lunch - restaurants with decent rest rooms?
There will be aplenty. If you think you want to have lunch before crossing Bangalore, there are options before Devanahalli (Nandi Upachar) or before Hebbal (A2B).

If you want to stop after crossing Bangalore, then you can refer to the list of restaurants in this post - Swati Delicacy, Paakashaala, Dhruvataare being the most popular on this route.

All these 3 options will take at least an hour to reach after you are at Nelamangala and onto 4 lane Highway to Hassan. If you are running late, then Sambhrama which is less than 10 minutes after Nelamangala is also a good place to stop for lunch.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th September 2021 at 21:07.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 22:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that was so much helpful. I think you have reduced my research time by 90%. If there was a way to do +10 on Thanks, I would have done so.

Just sharing the google maps route to confirm -
https://goo.gl/maps/yCDiYMY9bdv3aCXS9
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:10   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Wow, that was so much helpful. I think you have reduced my research time by 90%. If there was a way to do +10 on Thanks, I would have done so.

Just sharing the google maps route to confirm -
https://goo.gl/maps/yCDiYMY9bdv3aCXS9
Hey adimicra, Did you take the trip from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur? I am also planning to visit Chikmagalur from Hyderabad and would like to know about the route you took, road conditions and travel time.

Google map still shows Hyderabad -> Anantapur -> Kalyandurg -> Hiriyur -> Chikmagalur as the fastest route (12hrs 40 mins for 665 Kms). Is this route not good?

I see that google map shows 13hrs 50mins for Hyderabad -> Devanahalli - Hebbal - Outer Ring Road - Goreguntepalya - NBTL Elevated road - Nelemangala -> Hassan -> Chikmagalur route (808 Kms)
Old 29th October 2021, 14:36   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOperator View Post
Hey adimicra, Did you take the trip from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur? I am also planning to visit Chikmagalur from Hyderabad and would like to know about the route you took, road conditions and travel time.

Google map still shows Hyderabad -> Anantapur -> Kalyandurg -> Hiriyur -> Chikmagalur as the fastest route (12hrs 40 mins for 665 Kms). Is this route not good?

I see that google map shows 13hrs 50mins for Hyderabad -> Devanahalli - Hebbal - Outer Ring Road - Goreguntepalya - NBTL Elevated road - Nelemangala -> Hassan -> Chikmagalur route (808 Kms)
Sharing my experience for both the routes:

We took the Hyderabad -> Anantapur -> Kalyandurg -> Hiriyur -> Chikmagalur while going to Chikmagalur. The roads are very good till Anantapur. After that it is mostly single lane state highway till Chikmagalur. Google maps also navigated me through some of the internal village roads which were very bad and it was not a good experience travelling with no amenities/puncture shops around. On top of that kids from the village stopped our car twice and asked for money (They wouldn't move away without money). It took us 12 hrs to cover 665KM on this route (Started 5:45am and Reached 5:40pm and 1 hr of break)

While returning I took the Chikmagalur -> Hassan (NH75) -> Nelemangala -> Devanahalli route and then joined NH44 for coming to Hyderabad. Roads is mostly good till Bangalore (Some construction in progress on NH75 in the first half stretch) and then smooth NH44 till Hyderabad. Covered 810KM in 13hrs 30min (Started 9am and Reached 10:30pm with 1.5 hr of break)
TheOperator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 20:54   #147
Team-BHP Support

Not sure whats taking so long for the Nelamanangala-Devanahalli section to improve. Same goes for other section of NH207 towards Hoskote.

I hope these section improve fast. NH207 + Nelamangala-Guddemaranahalli is the perfect to Hassan highway.
Old 21st June 2022, 13:05   #148
BHPian

Which is the present best route to Chikmagalur to Hyderabad in terms of good roads?
Old 23rd December 2022, 13:27   #149

Since the information is a year-old discussion, so wanted to post the question again.

I am planning for a long drive from Hyderabad to Chikmangulr with my family (including 2 Kids). Please suggest the route map to opt for!!!.

Planning to start at 7 AM from Hyderabad.
Old 25th May 2023, 20:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravikiran View Post
Since the information is a year-old discussion, so wanted to post the question again.

I am planning for a long drive from Hyderabad to Chikmangulr with my family (including 2 Kids). Please suggest the route map to opt for!!!.

Planning to start at 7 AM from Hyderabad.
Hey, I am planning a trip to Chikmangluru next weekend from Hyderabad. Since you have been recently can you share your route experience please. I am assuming you went via Anantapur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks