Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:49   #31

re: Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

All,

I have following this thread for sometime now. Thanks to everyone for their advices. I did chikmagalur last week from Hyderabad. Route Taken:

Hyderabad - Kurnool - Ananthapur - Devanahalli - Dobospete - Tumkur - Arsikere - Banavara - Sakkarepatna - Chikmagalur

My two cents:

The NH7 as expected was a breeze. The roads from Devanahalli to Banavara were good (NH207/NH4/NH206) except for a couple of stretches after Doddaballapur and Tiptur.

However, I would advise not to take the sakkarepatna road from Banavara. The road was very narrow with frequent potholes. Instead you could take the Belur road from Banavara and go to chikmagalur via belur. It will probably mean travelling around 20KM extra but the roads are better in this route. You could also do Belur, Hallibedu (if you are not exhausted that is).

Cheers!
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs.giri View Post
All,

However, I would advise not to take the sakkarepatna road from Banavara. The road was very narrow with frequent potholes. Instead you could take the Belur road from Banavara and go to chikmagalur via belur. It will probably mean travelling around 20KM extra but the roads are better in this route. You could also do Belur, Hallibedu (if you are not exhausted that is).

Cheers!
Though i agree this is not the best of roads, it is not bad either and definitely manageable except for 500 mtrs near Sakharayapatna. Detailed information on the road is in my post on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...udupi-225.html

Yes, Belur - Banavara is definitely another good option for people who want to avoid NH 48.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

Sakkarepatna--CKM is an old concrete road. They were trying to widen it by putting tar on either side. Yes its rough, but I think its faster option, esp. if you want to land at Taj Gateway.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sakkarepatna--CKM is an old concrete road. They were trying to widen it by putting tar on either side. Yes its rough, but I think its faster option, esp. if you want to land at Taj Gateway.
totally with Ampere. They have put tar on either side. They were filling pot holes on the road when i drove last week. If you have booked in Taj, this is the best as you don't have to cut across city - where digging on main MG Road has messed up traffic.
Old 6th June 2011, 08:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
If you have booked in Taj, this is the best as you don't have to cut across city - where digging on main MG Road has messed up traffic.
Actually you don't have to cut through the Chikmagalur town to reach Taj. Just before you enter Chikmagalur, take a right at Heremagalore (I think there is a board pointing the way as well) and you can bypass the town and the messed up MG - IG roads!

Cheers!
Old 8th June 2011, 11:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I would advise not to take the sakkarepatna road from Banavara. The road was very narrow with frequent potholes. Instead you could take the Belur road from Banavara and go to chikmagalur via belur.
It would have been better if you had taken Arasikere - Kadur-Sakrepatna-CKM road. It's in good condition all the way till CKM, except some rough surface between Sakrepatna & CKM.
Quote:
messed up MG - IG roads!
It's not the MG Road, it's IG Road which is totally messed up due to road widning and digging.
Traffic is chaotic now.
Heck IG Road looks like a war hit area.
Old 8th June 2011, 19:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

A Map of places to see in Chikmagalur

Here is a map that I came across when we were in Chikmagalur,courtesy Panduranga Coffee Works

Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries-tourist-guide.gif
Old 8th June 2011, 19:44   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
It would have been better if you had taken Arasikere - Kadur-Sakrepatna-CKM road. It's in good condition all the way till CKM, except some rough surface between Sakrepatna & CKM.
I think thats the missing point. I think he took the Bannavara road and not the Kadur road. Hence the problem.
Old 11th June 2011, 00:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to travel to C'magalur next weekend but seeking the rates for homestays, I'm like

Does anyone know of any cheap budget estate jomestays. We don't need the food and other stuff. Even Kemmangundi will do. If I don't find something in budget, then will have to move to the Konkan beach

P.S: What will be the best route considering I'll blasting through bad road in a Getaway
Old 11th June 2011, 11:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I was planning to travel to C'magalur next weekend but seeking the rates for homestays, I'm like

Does anyone know of any cheap budget estate jomestays. We don't need the food and other stuff. Even Kemmangundi will do. If I don't find something in budget, then will have to move to the Konkan beach

P.S: What will be the best route considering I'll blasting through bad road in a Getaway
Yes, some home stays charge very high. Try Greendale. the location is fabulous and the rates are reasonable. You can negotiate rates only for rooms. But woul suggest go for package. Our own Samurai san has stayed there and he was happy.
:: Green Dale Holiday Home :: come touch the Sky

Go via Bangalore-Tumkur -Kadur. it is more picturesque and road is good.
Old 11th June 2011, 14:03   #41
Team-BHP Support

At Devanahalli, turn to Doddaballpur via NH207 and continue on NH207 beyond Doddaballpur all the way till Dobbaspet. Here you take the NH4 till Tumkur and then turn on to NH206.

Drive all the way to Kadur and take the Kadur-CKM route via Sakkarepatna.

Dont take the Bannavara-CKM route.
Old 11th June 2011, 17:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, some home stays charge very high. Try Greendale. the location is fabulous and the rates are reasonable. You can negotiate rates only for rooms. But woul suggest go for package. Our own Samurai san has stayed there and he was happy.
:: Green Dale Holiday Home :: come touch the Sky
After checking out a bit, booked GreenDale. Its located near Kaimara Jn. and I intend to take this route Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to SH 57 - Google Maps

How good is the road from NH-7? Any alternate route? Please don't tell me to come till B'lore!

P.S: Or should I take this route thru Hospet, Harihar, Shimoga http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...09&ie=UTF8&z=7

Last edited by MileCruncher : 11th June 2011 at 17:09.
Old 11th June 2011, 17:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
After checking out a bit, booked GreenDale. Its located near Kaimara Jn. and I intend to take this route Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to SH 57 - Google Maps

How good is the road from NH-7? Any alternate route? Please don't tell me to come till B'lore!

P.S: Or should I take this route thru Hospet, Harihar, Shimoga Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to SH 57 - Google Maps
Nice to hear that you booked Greendale. Don't go via Hospet. Just follow NH7 towards Bangalore and follow the route given by Ampere. You don't have to come to Bangalore at all. Don't ever think of coming via Hospet as roads between Hospet and Harihar is not good. Follow the route given by Ampere in this thread and you will have a pleasnt drive.
Old 11th June 2011, 18:32   #44
Team-BHP Support

Here you go MC. Route link of path I had mentioned.

Hyderabad to CKM via Kadur
Old 11th June 2011, 18:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to hear that you booked Greendale. Don't go via Hospet. Just follow NH7 towards Bangalore and follow the route given by Ampere. You don't have to come to Bangalore at all. Don't ever think of coming via Hospet as roads between Hospet and Harihar is not good. Follow the route given by Ampere in this thread and you will have a pleasnt drive.
Sir, I have actually traveled on that road earlier. The only bad patch is for about 13 Kms between Hospet and the turnoff on the right towards Harihar. I have traveled on that route last year around same time and the only reason am not inclined is because its not as fast as the NH-7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here you go MC. Route link of path I had mentioned.

Hyderabad to CKM via Kadur
That's a good 120 Kms extra from my route posted earlier. I don't want to turn off at Gooty for Guntakal and Bellary as that is one HORRIBLE road. But considering that I'll be driving in the Getaway which is not very fast of the NH compared to a potholed SH, I don't want to travel 120 Kms extra.

Can someone please tell me the present road condition between Penukonda and CKM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks