Team-BHP - Cochin-Goa-Mumbai-Bangalore-Cochin
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Cochin-Goa-Mumbai-Bangalore-Cochin (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/38407-cochin-goa-mumbai-bangalore-cochin.html)

Hi Everybody,

I am planning a trip from Cochin to Mumbai via Goa and back from Mumbai to Cochin via Bangalore. I would like to know a couple of things regarding the best and fast route and hotels enroute. I will give you my present plan.

Day 1: Cochin to Udupi
Day 2: Visiting places in Udupi and around
Day 3: Udupi to Goa
Day 4: Visiting places in Goa
Day 5: Goa to Mumbai(I would like to know more about this route)
Days 6-8 at Mumbai
Day 9: Mumbai-Bangalore(Can I drive down to Bangalore in a single day?)
Days 10-12: Bangalore and Mysore
Day 13: Bangalore to Cochin via Coimbatore.

I prefer to drive only during day time, ie from 5.30/6AM to 6PM. Please provide me your inputs. BTW I will be travelling in my Accent.

Thanks in advance to all.

Done this trip before - exact route too (except for a small deviation to Mahableshwar/Panchgani) so my comments are given below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheermenon (Post 796472)
Hi Everybody,

I am planning a trip from Cochin to Mumbai via Goa and back from Mumbai to Cochin via Bangalore. I would like to know a couple of things regarding the best and fast route and hotels enroute. I will give you my present plan.

Day 1: Cochin to Udupi
Yes, but the route is very busy so you need to start early.

Day 2: Visiting places in Udupi and around You need a day for this? Suggest you stay in Turtle Bay (Maravanthe Beach outside Kundapur) and visit the Kollur temple (thought this might be on your agenda)

Day 3: Udupi to Goa
Leave early so you can reach Goa and 'visit places' all in one day.

Day 4: Visiting places in Goa
Half a day should be fine, so you can drive to Mumbai on Day 4, unless you're not in any particular hurry.

Day 5: Goa to Mumbai(I would like to know more about this route)
Straightforward route - its the same road from Edapally in Cochin (NH 17)

Days 6-8 at Mumbai

Day 9: Mumbai-Bangalore(Can I drive down to Bangalore in a single day?)
Yes you can, though I believe there are large sections of really bad roads nowadays (check out the Evil Twins thread)

Days 10-12: Bangalore and Mysore

Day 13: Bangalore to Cochin via Coimbatore.
If you're going to Mysore, why bother returning to Bangalore just to drive to Cochin? Drive on from Mysore - take the Masinagudi/Ooty/CBE route if you have a lot of time or the Gudalur/Nilambur route for something different, or if you dont have a lot of time take the Mysore-Calicut route.

I prefer to drive only during day time, ie from 5.30/6AM to 6PM. Please provide me your inputs. BTW I will be travelling in my Accent.
Strange coincidence - I did this trip in my 2002 GLS too.

Thanks in advance to all.

Stay at Hotel Kediyoor In Udupi

Goa-Mumbai road is a great drivers road with some good straights and curves. You can easily do it in 9-10 hrs

Mumbai- Bangalore is a great road part of GQ and you can easily maintain an avg speed of 100-110 except..
1. Pune bypass road of around 30 km, where there will be traffic, and
2. Stretch between Ranibennur and Chitrdurga has quite a few rough patches, one really has to slow dn near Chitradurga. I think it takes around 12-14 hrs, so shd be possible in a day. I am going to Bangalore next week, and planning to break the journey at Chitradurga.

Sudheer, lots of places to see en route.
- Udupi, Malpe, Maravanthe, Kollur, Murudeshwara, Gokarna Om Beach, Ganapatipule.

NH17 from Goa to Bombay is in very good shape - if you are fast, take 10 hours for the 550 km drive from Panaji.

Bombay-Bangalore can be done in 12 hours only if non-stop, but not in current road conditions. Allow for a 15 hour trip time, allowing for breaks for food, etc.

Hi,
I'm leaving for Bangalore on May 3 and from there to Chennai. I've read the Bangalore- Chennai is pretty good, but the road from from Hubli to Chitradurga is atrocious.
I am actually planning to do Pune-Bangalore-Chennai-Pondy) down the East coast road)- Madurai-Trivandrum-Kochi-Thrissur. From there, if I have the time and if the road is ok, I'll get on the Kochi -Goa road or return to Pune via Bangalore.
Can anyone tell me the condition on these stretches, espcially -Hubli-Chitradurga and Pondy-Madurai-TVM
thanks

POndy-Madurai : avoid NH45 via Trichy and continue on ECR via Cuddalore, Chidambaram and via Matiladuthurai, KUmbakonam, Thanjavur, Pudukottai and Melur. Avoids the under-construction streteches aftter Tindivanam where you would join NH45 if you come from Pondy.

Madurai-TVM also is being widened, but in good condition.

I once did a Madras-Pondy-Chidambaram-Thanjavur-Madurai-Trivandrum drive exactly on this route.

Hi Kumar
Thanks a lot.
Actually, my wife, and son and I will be doing this trip. I have driven around the state quite often and also when I was in Lucknow, but never done such a long journey before.
The only stretch that worries me is the Hubli-Chitradurga-B'lore route.
Could I bypass Bangalore completely. I know there is the Outer Ring Road and I'm hoping since it's a Sunday morning, there might not be too much traffic. I've not been to bangalore for the past decade or so, so I've only heard about the maddening traffic snarls.
Your logs would would be of great help!

regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 799518)
POndy-Madurai : avoid NH45 via Trichy and continue on ECR via Cuddalore, Chidambaram and via Matiladuthurai, KUmbakonam, Thanjavur, Pudukottai and Melur. Avoids the under-construction streteches aftter Tindivanam where you would join NH45 if you come from Pondy.

Madurai-TVM also is being widened, but in good condition.

I once did a Madras-Pondy-Chidambaram-Thanjavur-Madurai-Trivandrum drive exactly on this route.

My friends have recently done Goa-mumbai via NH4. From Goa, go to Sawantwadi - Amboli - Amboli to NH4 (ask for Belgaum highway). Once on NH4, it's a beautiful road, four lanes, via Pune to Mumbai. Only thing is this is a bit boring compared to the coastal road Goa-Chiplun-Mumbai.

I was planning to go to Mumbai day after tomorrow and return the same day. Now, I wanted to take the car, for a change. So, I need to know few things like directions, hotels, pointers etc.

Please note,
- I have prior experience of going by road but that was few years ago. So I appreciate if anyone could shed some light. Last time we went, we started from Kannur in the evening, reached Manglore at night, stayed there. Started the next morning at 6, through udupi but I don't exactly remember where we jumped to the banglore-mumbai expressway (anyone ?). Reached Pune by 8.
- I am planning to start early from my hometown (perinthalmanna) then pick up my friend at Kannur.
- I just have few hours Job at Mumbai and then I'm free to return back.
- Its not a sight seeing trip, just go there and come back.
- I am taking my friends Accent, but I wanted to take my WagonR, what are your thoughts on that ? How much will the petrol cost for the round trip journey (back to Kannur) ?
- We don't want to drive at night. So, some decent hotels are appreciated. (Not )
- Any thing I should take care of, Keep in mind etc. ?
- Any reason you might think I should avoid this journey ?

Any advice on taking my SX4 from Cochin to Goa? The best daylight route? Any pitfalls? Thanks in advance, folks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscateer (Post 3471453)
Any advice on taking my SX4 from Cochin to Goa? The best daylight route? Any pitfalls? Thanks in advance, folks...

The perfect day light route is the 4-lane. Kochi-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum-Chorla-Goa.

A bit more adventure, if you want to go via the coast:

Avoid the route till north of Udupi and then take on the coastal route.

Kochi-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Mysore-Holenarasipur-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3471541)
The perfect day light route is the 4-lane. Kochi-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum-Chorla-Goa.

A bit more adventure, if you want to go via the coast:

Avoid the route till north of Udupi and then take on the coastal route.

Kochi-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Mysore-Holenarasipur-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa

Many thanks for the prompt feedback, Mate... guess I'll take the non-adventurous but safe 4-lane via B'lore, as I heard that the route around Udipi is horrendous, especially after the monsoons... will keep you posted on how it went! Thanks again

@muscateer- did you complete Cochin-Goa trip? Would like your advise on Bangalore- Cochin road conditions and approx travel time. Thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive_or_die (Post 3513414)
@muscateer- did you complete Cochin-Goa trip? Would like your advise on Bangalore- Cochin road conditions and approx travel time. Thanks in advance

Not as yet as I am still stuck in Muscat for at least another month...however, I will definitely travel at the end of September/early October from Cochin to Goa where I will now base my SX4 Auto... shall give you full details (hopefully some video too) on the journey there... Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscateer (Post 3519187)
Not as yet as I am still stuck in Muscat for at least another month...however, I will definitely travel at the end of September/early October from Cochin to Goa where I will now base my SX4 Auto... shall give you full details (hopefully some video too) on the journey there... Cheers!

I did a round trip (BLR-Cochin) over the weekend. I faced very bad roads between Coimbatore and Thrissur. My advice is to check the condition of roads in the mentioned stretch before your trip. Alternate route with better roads is Thrissur-> Pollachi via Alathur