I am replying on ur behalf.
MAN,
look at date of post.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
dear ahuja,

I just did a trip on this route.

There is road but only ruins of it remains.
Thanks very much. Noted your inputs
Old 8th October 2008, 23:25   #18
BHPian

Mumbai-Magalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahujapradeep View Post
Thanks very much. Noted your inputs
Thanks frnds..

Even I am planning to go to Mangalore this monthend.. Now need to find alternate route..

Mr. Ahuja, This is Abhijit.. We met at VW workshop today..
Old 20th November 2008, 18:45   #19

I am planning a Pune Mangalore trip in December. It appears that going via Sirsi is preferable compared to NH63. Need guidance on the best route to follow. If Sirsi route is better, let me know turn-off point after Hubli and the distances, time, etc
Old 21st November 2008, 15:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

What is this Sirsi route?? I am heading to Mangalore as well on 30th November.

From this thread, it seems NH63 is still in a pretty decent shape. Or at least, it was in decent shape in August. Anyone has a more recent update on NH63 and NH17?
Old 21st November 2008, 15:34   #21
BHPian

There are two routes to hit NH17 from Hubli. One is the Hubli-Yellapur (NH63) route and the other is Hubli-Sirsi route (State Highway). The Hubli-Yellapur route hits NH17 near Ankola.

From Hubli, you have to travel on NH4 towards Bangalore. Just after you come out of Hubli city, there is a diversion to the right which is the state highway towards Sirsi. After Sirsi, there is a ghat section which will hit the NH17 near Kumta.

Last edited by prabhusati : 21st November 2008 at 15:39.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

My pick would be Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Kumta (185km) or Hubli - Sirsi - Kumta (160km) one and same in terms of road condition. Almost nill Mines lorries so less traffic.

Alternate routes are Hubli - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta around 200km but hardly 10km bad road (Single lane but potholes filled) with very less traffic and you take advantage of nh4 between hubli - haveri

Other routes: Hubli - Sirsi - Sagar - Hoasanagara - Teerthahalli - Agumbe - Mangalore or Teerthahalli - Sringeri - Mangalore.

Hope I am not confusing you guys!!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 21st November 2008, 20:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

We just did Hubli-Mlore-Hubli last weekend.

On the way to Mlore we took the Hubli-Sirsi-Kumta-Udupi-Mudbidri-Mlore route and on the way back Mlore-Kateel-Mulki-Ankola-Hubli.

Persoanlly i really enjoyed the return trip. Yes there are some bad patches between Mulki and Ankola but overall it was much better than i had expected it to be. Ankola junction to Hubli was a dream.

Had taken our Innova Petrol, got 14.5kmpl.

PS - Avoid NH17 between Mulki and Mlore at any cost. It's in a mess!!!

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 21st November 2008 at 20:36.
Old 21st November 2008, 20:38   #24
BHPian

20mins after Hubli on NH4, you will get a flyover. This is popularly known as Tadas cross. Landmark: Hotel Ganesh on the right side before the flyover. You can stop over for good idli/vada/dosa at this Hotel. The route below the flyover will take you to Tadas, Dhundsi and then Sirsi. This is the shortest route. (Note: from Dhundsi, there is deviation that leads to Hangal-Sagar-Shimoga)
This is single road and there arent much potholes but lot of uneven surfaces and very dusty especially the Tadas-Dhundsi stretch. This road is good for Tempo Trax, Crusier. Last month I did this stretch till Togarsi(Dhundsi-Shimoga road) in a hired Cruisier (Force motors).

Another route is Hubli-Shiggaon-Bankapur-Hangal-Sirsi. Slighly longer than the first route but the road conditions same as above

Ravi, I agree with you on the NH4 advantage if one opts for Hubli-Haveri-Sirsi but I think this is the longest route. And again the road condition from Haveri Sirsi would be nothing different from the above mentioned routes.
However the roads are doable but will consume more travel time.

And then there is this Belgaum Mangalore (NWKRTC) bus that takes Hubli-Haveri-Ranebennur-Harihar-Honnalli-Shimoga-Mangalore. My guess this route could be even more longer than the other routes.
Old 21st November 2008, 20:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shan,

Good update, thank you 14.5 kmpl wow great FE which shows its driven smooth, Enjoy your ride, max I fetched is 13.4kmpl.

I have heard road repair work is going on full swing, hopefully this time result would be better.

Regards,

ravi.
Old 21st November 2008, 21:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
14.5 kmpl wow great FE which shows its driven smooth
I had to drive smoothly. On the way to Mlore i did some spirited driving and it returned 8kmpl. LOL

So like they say, it's not what you drive but how you drive it, that matters.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT but in the same area. Has anyone tried the Yellapur Mundgod Bunkapur road? It would cut off more than 60 km from a goa Blore trip if one was to route thru this road instead of going all the way to hubli. (original route goa ankola nh 63 hubli nh4 blore)
Old 22nd November 2008, 17:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking about Bankapura - Mundagod - Yellapur route but whenever I checked with locals they don't recommand because they told me bad single lane roads, either road navigates thru. many villages and any breakdown happens its difficult to get any help. I feel safari owners can try this one I will continue to find more information about this route because its best one for me when I do Bangalore - Ankola.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:25   #29

Thanks for your views. From what I could gather, NH63 is good, so maybe I will try NH63 during onward journey and Kumta-Sirsi-Hubli return. Idea is to reach Mangalore from Pune within a day. So road conditions will matter most. How long does it take from Hubli to Ankola cross and then to Mangalore average speed?
Old 23rd November 2008, 00:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your views. From what I could gather, NH63 is good, so maybe I will try NH63 during onward journey and Kumta-Sirsi-Hubli return. Idea is to reach Mangalore from Pune within a day. So road conditions will matter most. How long does it take from Hubli to Ankola cross and then to Mangalore average speed?
The Kumta-Sirsi-Hubli road is nothing compared to the NH63. Once you've seen the Ankola-Hubli stretch, you will find it hard to choose another route. Its like a 135km race track with barely any traffic.

Travel time will depend on your driving style. But you should be able to manage a healthy average speed overall.

PS : I should have taken some snaps of the NH63 (was too busy enjoying it i guess) Haha

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks