Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 10:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Shan2nu.. Thanks for the update!! Much appreciated. So that settles it for me - NH63 would be the route for me this time as well. I had some lovely pics of the NH63 stretch from my last trip in June. Sadly no internet connection at home now to upload the pics.

How is the Ankola-Udupi stretch of NH17 now? Hope not much mining truck bottleneck at the checkposts and hope repairs are underway on the road itself.

PS: Hubli - Sirsi - Sagar - Hoasanagara - Teerthahalli - Agumbe - Mangalore or Teerthahalli - Sringeri - Mangalore . This sounds like an ideal route, almost a straight line. But I wouldn't recommend it because its state "highway" all the way and Agumbe ghat can slow you down big time.

Last edited by spadival : 24th November 2008 at 10:12.
Old 24th November 2008, 10:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Ankola-Udupi stretch of NH17 now?
It's not smooth all the way, there are still some bad patches in between but not to an extent where you might get disgusted.

And yeah, i did see some repair work going on, infact some of the bad stretches i rem from our trip last month had been completely re-surfaced. So it can only get better from here on (atleast until the next monsoons) LOL.

Shan2nu
Old 24th November 2008, 16:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

My Parents told me repair work is fast in recent weeks hence I feel in 1 month time things will be better and lets pray GOD this time they do better job of putting good effort and interest to make things better.

I still remember lovely NH17 few years back. I used to count number of vehicles passed every day in my childhood holidays. I remember covering Ankola - Kumta the 38km stretch in ordinary BUS in flat 35 minutes now its over 1 hour.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th January 2009, 20:08   #34

Pune Mangalore

I have done the Pune Mangalore stretch recently.

NH 4 from Pune - Hubli is excellent, 4-laned toll roads all the way from Pune till Dharwad. Dharwad-Hubli is a toll road too, but two laned. In fact, the toll booths are so frequent, it offsets the time saved due to the 4-laning. I did the 441 kms stretch in about 6 hrs with a few 20 minute breaks for loo and petrol. As petrol is costlier in Karnataka, its better to get tank filled at Kolhapur. During return journey from Mangalore, there is a McDonald restaurant before Kolhapur.

The 137 kms Hubli - Ankola NH 63 is decent in parts, but some parts are poor with uneven surface and potholes. Its definitely no race track as mentioned in some post earlier. Trucks are aplenty on this road in both directions and overtaking can be dangerous. Sometimes long convoys are double parked on the road causing traffic jams. Another danger to look out for are the killer speed breakers at the entry/exit of each village/town. Kalghatgi and Yellapura have about 6 huge speed breakers each within them without any warnings. One needs to be very careful or will be left with broken suspensions in the middle of nowhere. Facilities are basic on this with a few petrol pumps and almost no hotels, etc. For a WB funded project, this highway was a total let down. Managed this stretch in 2.5 hrs

NH 17 Ankola - Mangalore is well surfaced on most of the 225 kms. Bad stretches are especially between Ankola to Bhatkal. The highway stretch passing through towns is poorly mainained, maybe they dont want vehicles speeding. Some road widening is going on, dont expect any drastic changes for the next 2-3 years. From Surathkal to Mangalore, the roads are being 4-laned and therefore in a mess. NH17 has high traffic density, especially in the evenings. The bus drivers are also a mischevious honking lot and one needs to be cool headed, allow them room, else speed away from them. Noteworthy stopover is the Kamat Upchar at Ankola cross.
Actually, my destination for the day was the village of Kaup, about 45 kms from Mangalore city. I could finish the 760 kms drive in 12.5 hrs, which I term as decent by my estimate.
Old 27th December 2022, 22:11   #35
BHPian

Re: Hubli-kundapur-mangalore Road Conditions?

Bumping up an old thread!
How is the Ankola - Hubli stretch these days?
Planning to drive from Mangalore to Hubli (in a sedan) 10 days from now. I have two options - 1. Mangalore - Kundapur - Ankola - Hubli
or 2. Mangalore - Thirtahalli - Hubli.
Is the Ankola - Hubli stretch bad enough to make the Thirthahalli option better?
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks