Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 12:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gokarna - Murudeshwara - Kollur and Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Whats not clear is how to return back from Kollur to Bangalore ?
I would recommend this route - most of the roads are in good shape here, only bad stretches being around Karkala and Shiradi ghats. An alternate route is this but I believe the road conditions around Agumbe and Aldur are bad.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I would recommend this route - most of the roads are in good shape here, only bad stretches being around Karkala and Shiradi ghats. An alternate route is this but I believe the road conditions around Agumbe and Aldur are bad.

Has some one used this route in recent past ? If Yes we can take this route while coming back to bangalore
Old 10th October 2012, 13:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has some one used this route in recent past ? If Yes we can take this route while coming back to bangalore
I have taken the first route from Bangalore till Vandse last month. Roads from Vandse to Kollur are in good shape as well.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 13:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did the second route last year, except for the section between Aldur and Chikmagalur and Agumbe ghats road conditions were pretty good. It was a fun to drive route, it would be a nice route to do in monsoons
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:30   #65
BHPian

Kollur -Hosanagara - Bangalore - Route

An update for people who are visiting Kollur
  • The route from Murudeshwara to Kollur is Fine - NH17 is still bad . The route from NH17 to Kollur is fine .
  • Kollur to Hosanagara is bad .
  • Some places the road is missing .
  • Its a single road and is ghat road
  • The Kollur to Hosanagara is app 50 Kms and need at least 1Hr.
  • This road is not suggested unless u have SUV or any other vehicle with good GC .
Old 16th October 2012, 14:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kollur -Hosanagara - Bangalore - Route

Quote:
An update for people who are visiting Kollur
Which route did you take from NH17 to Kollur? Also, which route did you take from Hosanagara onwards?
Old 16th October 2012, 14:48   #67
BHPian

Re: Kollur -Hosanagara - Bangalore - Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Which route did you take from NH17 to Kollur? Also, which route did you take from Hosanagara onwards?
  • Our trip was to first visit Gokarna .(Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar -Gokarna)
  • From Gokarna we visited Murudeshwara .
  • We went to Kollur from Murudeshwara - NH17 from Gokarna itself is in pathetic condition .
  • Huge craters and not in a high way standards .
  • We turned left after Bhatkal and the road to Kollur was fine .
  • While coming back to Bangalore ,we went via Hosanagara , came via Ripponpete , Arasalu , Ayanur ,Shimoga .
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 10:49   #68
BHPian

Re: Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur

I am planning to visit Kundapura in early Nov, any ideas and help on the route? I am looking at via Shimoga and via Sringeri, which one is better, do not want to go via Shirady as the reports are not good.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
I am planning to visit Kundapura in early Nov, any ideas and help on the route? I am looking at via Shimoga and via Sringeri, which one is better, do not want to go via Shirady as the reports are not good.
Please refer to my post (on another thread) here
Old 30th October 2012, 12:27   #70
BHPian

Hi,

We (me, wife and 2 year old daughter) are planning to visit the Kollur Mookambika temple next week (5-7th). We plan to start early by 5:00am from Bannerghatta road.

The two routes mentioned by cool dube look good. Since we have never driven beyond chickmagalur, is it a good idea to drive through route 1 while going and return via route 2 just to enjoy different vistas? I do not want a stressful drive for more than 2 hrs on bad roads (My vehicle is hyundai accent).

How much time will these drives take assuming 2 hours break enroute?

Instead of staying in Kollur for the second night, does it make sense to halt at Sringeri (or any other place with good stay options) if we decide on route-2 for returning?

From what I have read in the Bangalore-Mangalore thread, Sakleshpur can be the first halt for breakfast while going. Please give suggestions for lunch too (for both routes) with decent restrooms.

Cheers

Vindy
Old 30th October 2012, 13:22   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Instead of staying in Kollur for the second night, does it make sense to halt at Sringeri (or any other place with good stay options) if we decide on route-2 for returning?
Another thing that you can do is to go to Udupi and keep it as base.

D1: Drive to Udupi. Reach by late noon. Visit temple. Stay overnight
D2: Drive to Kollur and back. (Its about 80/90km one way) stay overnight
D3: Drive back from Udupi.

Udupi to Kollur is very decent road I think (better to confirm) and you should be able to cover in 2 to 2 hours max. Udupi/Manipal has nice hotels as well to stay.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 13:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

We (me, wife and 2 year old daughter) are planning to visit the Kollur Mookambika temple next week (5-7th). We plan to start early by 5:00am from Bannerghatta road.

The two routes mentioned by cool dube look good. Since we have never driven beyond chickmagalur, is it a good idea to drive through route 1 while going and return via route 2 just to enjoy different vistas? I do not want a stressful drive for more than 2 hrs on bad roads (My vehicle is hyundai accent).

How much time will these drives take assuming 2 hours break enroute?

From what I have read in the Bangalore-Mangalore thread, Sakleshpur can be the first halt for breakfast while going. Please give suggestions for lunch too (for both routes) with decent restrooms.
Sakleshpur IMO would be too late for a breakfast stop.You could stop over at Kamat(on the right side of the road) a little before Hassan or at Aadya's Athithi on the left side a little before Hassan as well.Also please bear in mind that Kollur has very limited accomodation and nothing great in terms of facilities and hygiene!We usually stay in Udupi and do Kollur as a day trip from Udupi.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 14:56   #73
BHPian

Thank you Ampere and Ranjit,

Just read some very bad reviews in tripadv about the best hotel in Kollur - Beena Residency.

Which hotel do you suggest in Udupi?

I have seen hotel Kidiyoor, Valley view (should be expensive) and Woodlands while studying in Manipal. Now this idea of staying in Udupi is going to make this trip more interesting...tempted to visit our old hangouts

Which route do you suggest (same while returning?) and how much time will it take with a break of 2 hours enroute.

Cheers

Vindy
Old 30th October 2012, 15:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ampere and Ranjit,

Just read some very bad reviews in tripadv about the best hotel in Kollur - Beena Residency.

Which hotel do you suggest in Udupi?

I have seen hotel Kidiyoor, Valley view (should be expensive) and Woodlands while studying in Manipal. Now this idea of staying in Udupi is going to make this trip more interesting...tempted to visit our old hangouts

Which route do you suggest (same while returning?) and how much time will it take with a break of 2 hours enroute.

Cheers

Vindy
Obviously Valley View is the best.Kediyoor has run down,IMO best avoided,the rest are all passable.

I would also reccomend this new place http://manishmanipal.com/

Mangalore to Udupi would take around 70-90minutes and from there another 2 hours to Kollur and back and bangalore to mangalore around 7-8hours.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 11:33   #75
BHPian

Hi,

Stay confirmed at Manish Manipal. We are starting early morning tomorrow.

Just wanted to confirm the route. While going how is Sakleshpur-Nelyadi-Bantwal-Mulki-Udupi?

Is it worthwhile to take the Udupi-Sringeri-Chikmagalur route for return if the vistas are great and road is in good condition? Or even Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Mudigere-Belur route?

I havent been to any of these places and have no idea.

Inputs will definitely help.

Cheers

Vindy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks