Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 10:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Tbhp-ians - route to Vettukaadu Church TVM ?

Am planning to drive down from my home at Mavelikara to the Vettukaadu church at Thiruvananthapuram (TVM) next Saturday (10th May). Reaching TVM is the easy part, but I have no idea about the directions to the church from TVM.

Would be very helpful if any of you can post directions on reaching the church. Thanks.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Goto Shangumugham beach/airport from the city (petta jn) the new bypass also touched this, once you pass the airport compound wall, and about to reach the shangumugham beach, you will come to a Jn. There is a mermaid statue also, take a right just before the mermaid statue and follow the road straight for couple of kms. This is the most straight fwd route.

There are other shorter routes and also easier routes to get from higway, but you can get lost in those.

PM sankar and get his mob number, he should be able to guide you better.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th May 2008 at 10:30.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Am planning to drive down from my home at Mavelikara to the Vettukaadu church at Thiruvananthapuram (TVM) next Saturday (10th May). Reaching TVM is the easy part, but I have no idea about the directions to the church from TVM.

Would be very helpful if any of you can post directions on reaching the church. Thanks.
Supreme, I hope you know the route upto Trivandrum. The first junction when you enter TVM city is Ulloor junction. Take left from Ulloor. The next junction is Keshavadasapuram after 3 km. There will be a big round about. Take a right from there. Keep on going straight. No turns. You will pass LIC junction, Pattom and reach PMG Junction after about 8 km. Once you reach PMG, ask directions for Palayam. There is a big Church in Palayam, St. Joseph's Cathedral. Please visit it. You will love it.

From there, ask directions to the Airport. You will have to take a right after the Cathedral. Then you will see Kerala University on your right. Keep driving straight. You will reach General Hospital junction. From there,take the right road which leads to the Aiport. Keep driving straight. You will reach Pattoor junction. Take a right from there. Then keep on going straight. You will pass Pettah junction. Keep driving straight. After about 10 kilometres, you will see All Saints College and railway tracks on you right. You have to take a left from All Saints Junction. Then drive straight for another 8 km. You will see the Airport runway on your left. You can see flights taking off from a few feet.

Then you will reach a small junction. There is a white cement statue of a mermaid on the left, which was sculpted by Kanai Kunjiraman. Once you see that statue, take a right turn from that junction and drive straight for another 8-10 km. Vettucaud Matre De Deus Church will be on your left.

After visiting the Church, go straight ahead, you will reach Veli tourist village. You can do boating in the Veli lake and see the river meet the sea. Don't avoid Veli by any means. It is very good.

If you want any further help, please ask.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

As Jaggu explained, it is better to avoid the city and take the Bypass at Kazhakootam and pass via Technopark till you reach the turn off for Veli - less than 10 kms from the bypass beginning. You will see the VSSC/ISRO before you reach the Veli turn off. It is very close to the bypass.
Old 6th May 2008, 10:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Goto Shangumugham beach/airport from the city (petta jn) the new bypass also touched this, once you pass the airport compound wall, and about to reach the shangumugham beach, you will come to a Jn. There is a mermaid statue also, take a right just before the mermaid statue and follow the road straight for couple of kms. This is the most straight fwd route.

There are other shorter routes and also easier routes to get from higway, but you can get lost in those.

PM sankar and get his mob number, he should be able to guide you better.
Take Jaggu's direction it is the most straight forward and you will not get lost. Arrive at the Pettah roundabout circle (the biggest & the first one after you enter the byepass) and take the right to get to the airport/Shankumugham road. It will take you directly to the beach.

If in doubt ask anybody the direction to Shanghmugham beach, and once you get to the small junction (where the statue of the naked mermaid is located) take a right. Or if you have doubt ask anyone the way to Veli tourist village, they will ask you to take the right turn i told you before.

Proceed along that narrow road, don't turn anywhere, keep on going straight. The first church you will encounter will be the 'Kannanthura Church', you proceed down the road and you will reach 'Vettucaud Church'.

After you finish your prayers at the church you can proceed down that same road and you will reach the Veli tourist village.

Here's a lil satelite map for you; Smitha Cottage(Vettucaud)

Pan up in the northwest (coast) direction and you will come across a clearing. That is Vettucaud church.

Pan down along the (coast) you will reach Shankumugham beach, airport, the junction etc etc. The Biggest road you se in that map is actually the runway, so don't get confused.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sankar : 6th May 2008 at 10:51.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, Chevy_lover, hvkumar and Sankar.
That was very helpful. Will keep the directions handy when I drive out.

Have been to Veli longtime ago. Will try to cover that too on this trip.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Call me. I should be around
Old 7th May 2008, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sure, jk. Got your PM. Thanks, pal.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Went to the Church last Saturday as planned. The church looks great, especially against the backdrop of the Arabian sea. Did the muthukuda nercha, spent some time in the church and then at the beach in front of the church.

The sea seemed a wee bit rougher than normal and my wife was saying that the waves looked bigger than normal. Did not give it much thought, till I read in the next day's newspaper that the sea had lashed the coast off Alapuzha entering homes near the beach.

After that, went to Shangumugham, spent some time there. The mermaid by Kanai Kunjiraman was awesome. Went to Veli, but did not go inside as my parents wanted to get back home ASAP since we had my sisters coming over. Veli looks so different (for the better) from the time I was there last, some 10 years ago or more. Should do a more relaxed TVM visit again - lots to see here.

And thanks to the route suggestions from you guys (had a printout with me), it was a breeze. Thanks again, guys.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some snaps from the church visit.

1. The Vettucaud church
Kerala Tbhp-ians - route to Vettukaadu Church TVM ?-dsc00298.jpg

2. An inside view.
Kerala Tbhp-ians - route to Vettukaadu Church TVM ?-dsc00290.jpg

3. The muthukuda (fancy umbrella) that was my parent's nercha (offering).
Kerala Tbhp-ians - route to Vettukaadu Church TVM ?-dsc00282.jpg

4. My son looking wide-eyed at the waves lashing the shore, protected from the sun by his Mom's dupatta.
Kerala Tbhp-ians - route to Vettukaadu Church TVM ?-dsc00303.jpg

5. Our Swift parked at the church.
Kerala Tbhp-ians - route to Vettukaadu Church TVM ?-dsc00299.jpg

Need another help from TVM bhp-ians !!!

A couple of my friends and their families are planning a 1-week holiday at TVM, but they have no idea about which hotel to stay in. Could you guys please suggest some nice hotels in TVM ? Requirement is a decent place, clean rooms etc. Budget is 2000 - 3000max.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Some snaps from the church visit.

Need another help from TVM bhp-ians !!!

A couple of my friends and their families are planning a 1-week holiday at TVM, but they have no idea about which hotel to stay in. Could you guys please suggest some nice hotels in TVM ? Requirement is a decent place, clean rooms etc. Budget is 2000 - 3000max.
Supreme, I would suggest Hotel Pankaj in Statue junction. Tariff is just around Rs. 2000 for deluxe double rooms. It is located in the heart of the city! My friends had stayed there and they loved it!
Old 16th May 2008, 10:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another option is Hotel Chaithram, run by KTDC. Tariff is around Rs. 1500 for AC deluxe rooms. It is located in Thampanoor junction, right next to KSRTC bus stand. They can arrange different tours for your friend through KTDC.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

i would recommend ariya nivaas @ thampanoor, if they're veggies
Old 16th May 2008, 11:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i would recommend ariya nivaas @ thampanoor, if they're veggies
Is this the newly opened hotel, opp Kairali Theatre?
Old 16th May 2008, 11:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

KTDC Chaitram sounds like a nice option due to proximity to Central and KSRTC.
And since they are veggies (proper TamBrams), Ariya Nivas would also be good.

Any hotels with swimming pool, that you guys are aware of ?

Most Viewed