Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 09:15   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Do you mean the road from Yellandur ?
Narayan, Oozyrules had mentioned he was driving down from Coimbatore. As per Google maps there is another turn off to K Gudi before Chamarajnagar. This route was shown in MMI also when selecting Bangalore - BR hills earlier. Route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 10:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As per Google maps there is another turn off to K Gudi before Chamarajnagar.
Thanks Suhas. That's the turn-off I was referring to - from Coimbatore to K.Gudi.

Quote:
Did you stay in K Gudi ? If so where ?
No, I didn't stay in K.Gudi. The options there are Jungle Lodges and the forest dept accommodation. For the latter, you'll have to get prior permission. Gokrish has put up the details a few posts earlier.
There are more options at BR hills, like Gorukana, Rajatadri Villas...etc. You can Google for more information.
Old 13th November 2013, 19:05   #78
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Oozyrules had mentioned he was driving down from Coimbatore. As per Google maps there is another turn off to K Gudi before Chamarajnagar. This route was shown in MMI also when selecting Bangalore - BR hills earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
That's the turn-off I was referring to - from Coimbatore to K.Gudi.
Thanks @suhas, I missed that he was traveling back from Coimbatore.

@ozzy - was this the same route you had asked about in an earlier post and HVK sir had said it's a good road going through the forest ? Or are they different ?
Old 13th November 2013, 19:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
was this the same route you had asked about in an earlier post and HVK sir had said it's a good road going through the forest ? Or are they different ?
It's the same route. It may have been motorable earlier, not sure. The route that I eventually took (Chamarajnagar-BR hills road) also is a picturesque route through the forest. It's quite narrow with lot of blind corners, so watch out for vehicles and elephants!
ozzyrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 18:57   #80
BHPian

Had been to Kgudi last week. Took the Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yelandur-BR Hills route for onward journey. Excellent roads all the way. Certain small stretches after Yelandur is bad. That is also being fixed. Witnessed patch work being done.

Excellent weather in Kgudi. Too cold with fog till ~10 AM in the morning. Did 4 safari's and sighted 2 wild dogs mating, 2 sloth bears, elephants, gaur, serpent eagle, Rat snake, brown fish owl and barking deer.. Was very optimistic that we will be able to spot either of the cats as there were fresh pug marks followed by alarm calls from barking deer & sambar. However did not spot the cats.
Torque123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 12:10   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems Yelandur - BR Hills road was closed for few hours due to elephant blocking the road. As per the report traffic to BR Hills were diverted via K Gudi road.
Sadly elephant calf died after getting stuck in mud.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5461576.ece
Old 27th December 2013, 16:16   #82
BHPian

Am planning for a day trip to BR Hills from bangalore. Thinking of starting at 5 AM and will take Kanakapura Road. Could anyone let me know if 1 day is enough or do you suggest a night stay? Assuming reaching temple by 9 AM, spend until 3 PM and start back in the same route.

Also, please let me know if any not to miss places or activities apart from the Temple. Thank you
Old 27th December 2013, 19:46   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
Am planning for a day trip to BR Hills from bangalore. Thinking of starting at 5 AM and will take Kanakapura Road. Could anyone let me know if 1 day is enough or do you suggest a night stay? Assuming reaching temple by 9 AM, spend until 3 PM and start back in the same route.

Also, please let me know if any not to miss places or activities apart from the Temple. Thank you
If the idea is only to see the landscapes, I think a day should be enough. But if you want to see wild life, you may have to stay there and venture into the jungle more than once.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 21:38   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
Could anyone let me know if 1 day is enough or do you suggest a night stay?
If you're not staying overnight, make sure you exit the forest checkpost before 6 pm. Else, you'd be forced to stay overnight!
There's a safari at around 3 pm. You could take that or drive up to the other checkpost near Chamarajanagar. The route is picturesque. Drive slow and enjoy the sights and sounds of the wild
Old 28th December 2013, 20:19   #85
BHPian

oI,am planning to reach B.R Hills by 2 PM during Mid-Jan while returning from Ooty. I have following queries.
1. I wonder, if i mananged to get into Jungle Safaris (3PM) by Govt. Is it possible to exit B.R Hills checkpost by 6 PM.?
2. Is there any reservations required for Safaris Ride offered by Govt.
Any info on the above will help me lot in planning.
Old 29th December 2013, 13:28   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
1. I wonder, if i mananged to get into Jungle Safaris (3PM) by Govt. Is it possible to exit B.R Hills checkpost by 6 PM.?
2. Is there any reservations required for Safaris Ride offered by Govt.
1. Yes. The safari usually lasts for about 90 min and starts from K Gudi. Make sure you are there by 2.45 pm or so. From K Gudi, it's ~40 min drive to the BR hills checkpost.
2. No, it's on a first-come-first-serve basis. They usually wait for the jeep to be fully occupied. If you don't want a shared ride, you could pay for the entire jeep (~1500) and have an exclusive safari.
Old 6th January 2014, 00:29   #87
Senior - BHPian

Just went today. Having left home @ 7:30 didn't expect anything, still went on just for a drive. Reached ~12. at BRT. Bad timing. Came back having seen elephant dung, monkeys - a Langoor and many common monkeys, maybe a flying squirrel, and a deer at base camp.

IMO If anyone wants 100% sure animal sightings, just LEAVE home by 3 & reach BRT by ~6:30 (checkpost opens @6). Drive through to K Gudi in your own car. Try weekday if possible. You'll be back by 4pm & can sleep then.

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_8822.jpg

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_8875.jpg

Also went to the temple on top of the mountain. They present these huge padukas to god I think every 2 years.

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-img_8787.jpg

Btw, went via Malavalli route. Returned via Talakadu! Actually mom really wanted to visit after last months temple visit remained unfinished.

Talakadu to Malavalli was HORRIBLE!!! The farmers had laid some kind of grass (in heaps!) on the roads for them to get crushed by passing vehicles. Serious threat to life for anyone passing by, moreso if it was during night.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th January 2014 at 00:47.
Old 6th January 2014, 07:56   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Talakadu to Malavalli was HORRIBLE!!! The farmers had laid some kind of grass (in heaps!) on the roads for them to get crushed by passing vehicles. Serious threat to life for anyone passing by, moreso if it was during night.
Instead driving all the way from Malavalli, there is a deviation to Talakkadu just before the bridge at Cauvery. May be that reduce the misery of that stretch.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 13:50   #89
BHPian

Just back from a Bangalore -> Malavalli -> Kollegal -> BR Hills -> K gudi trip. Amazing route and good roads throughout, as i write.
Distance from Bangalore (Kadugodi, whitefield) to BR Hills is 200Kms.
The best part was a pair of elephants stepped into the road (kollegal checkpost -> BR Hills) as i was passing along. My heart skipped a beat when i thought one elephant started charging., Luckily he was just engaging in some animated conversations with his peer...phew !

Tip: There was a Tiger sighting on Sunday for both the evening Safari rides. You might want to try your luck

Last edited by vinayak007 : 14th January 2014 at 13:52.
Old 7th March 2014, 20:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
The turn-off to K.Gudi from NH 209 as per Google maps is not motorable. Had to take the Chamarajanagar-K.Gudi road.
I had submitted a correction request to Google. After a long time, got a confirmation today that the route has been corrected. I verified and the route is indeed updated

Most Viewed