Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 13:11   #121
BHPian

re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The best way to circumvent the closed bridge on NH209 is https://goo.gl/maps/q9Btn That map shows the route from Malavalli to Chamarajnagar. Use NH209 for Bangalore-Malavalli
Hi Kala,
Couple of doubts:
- The route you suggested to me and the one you suggested earlier in the other topic (http://goo.gl/maps/7Yzqa) are different in the initial 20 km or so. Why so?
- You mention a closed bridge on NH 209 - where exactly is that?
Old 13th March 2015, 17:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
Hi Kala,
Couple of doubts:
- The route you suggested to me and the one you suggested earlier in the other topic (http://goo.gl/maps/7Yzqa) are different in the initial 20 km or so. Why so?
- You mention a closed bridge on NH 209 - where exactly is that?
The bridge that is closed for maintenance is the one across Cauvery on the original NH209 near Shivanasamudra (at location 12.257986, 77.163162). If that was open for traffic the best route to BR Hills would have been NH209 all the way till Yelandur (or till Chamarajnagar depending on which road you choose to take towards B.R.Hills)

NH209 has been my regular route to go to Gundlupet/Wayanad for almost 3-4 years now. The route that I had suggested in that older post was the one that I tried initially after the Shivanasamudra bridge was closed. Even that route is quite OK except for about 3 to 4 kms of somewhat broken roads just before Muttenahalli where you take a right turn towards Saraguru.

Subsequently I tried the other road from Malavalli to Talakad - i.e the one that goes by the side of the Marehalli lake and reaches Purigaali (and an acute left turn there to get to Saraguru). This route may be about 1 or 2 kms longer, but the roads are pretty decent all the way, and hence my preferred route these days. That is the one in the Google Maps link that I posted in my response to your query.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 22:35   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
This route may be about 1 or 2 kms longer, but the roads are pretty decent all the way, and hence my preferred route these days. That is the one in the Google Maps link that I posted in my response to your query.
You were absolutely right Kala, and thank you for that!
The route you suggested was beautiful and spotless throughout.
Only beyond Yelandur, a kilometer or so is rough due ongoing road widening. Beyond which again, it's good roads all the way upto Gorukana.
RajshreeM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
You were absolutely right Kala, and thank you for that!
The route you suggested was beautiful and spotless throughout.
Only beyond Yelandur, a kilometer or so is rough due ongoing road widening. Beyond which again, it's good roads all the way upto Gorukana.
You're very welcome !

There was some roadwork in progress in the initial portion (about 0.5 kms) of the Malavalli - Purigaali road. Is that complete now ?

And thanks for the feedback on the condition of the Yelandur-B.R.Hills road. Will certainly be of help to others planning to travel that way.
Old 4th May 2015, 10:24   #125

Mod note: Post EDITED, please use proper punctuation instead of typing like this.. Helps with readability of the post. Thanks.

I traveled first time to B R Hills last weekend. I took the same route mentioned by Kala. Thanks for the info.

[Info Update] : There are 2 exits from B R hills.. One goes through K Gudi towards Chamaraja Nagar. The other one goes towards Yellandur. Both the routes are closed for travellers from Evening 6 PM to morning 6AM. So if anyone is planning to B R Hills plan to start back at least by 5:30 in the evening there.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th May 2015 at 10:26.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:33   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Malavalli - NH 209 till currently closed bridge - Right turn - Belakavadi - Talakadu- Madapura - SH 79 - Kollegal - Yelandur - BR Hills - K.Gudi JLR on Saturday.

For return took K Gudi - Chamarajnagar - Gundulpet - Gopalaswamy betta - Gundulpet - Mysore - Bangalore on Sunday.

Road condition: Bangalore - Kanakpura - Mallavalli - Good surface, some patches just before and after Mallavalli is relaid.

Mallavalli - Closed bridge -Kollegala road - Belakavadi - Good road, non existent traffic, few bad patches as you near Belakavadi. But nothing to be worried about.

Belakavadi - Talakadu - Madapura - Again good roads. Few rashly driven private buses.

Madapura - Kollegal (SH 79) - Few patches towards Kollegal had road work ongoing.

Kollegal - Yelandur - BR Hills - Again, good roads.

BR Hills - K Gudi - Scenic drive through the forest.

K Gudi - Chamarajnagar - Few bad sections towards Chamarajnagar.

Chamarajnagar - Gundulpet - Most bad sections are relaid, however bad sections towards Gundulpet.

Gundulpet - Mysore - Road work on NH 212 will slow you down.

Mysore - Bangalore - The usual madness.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:39   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Gundulpet - Mysore - Road work on NH 212 will slow you down.
Mysore - Bangalore - The usual madness.
You could have also tried: Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-Muguru-T Narasipura-Bannnur-Srirangapatna. That may have been faster and would have also avoided bad roads and the town of Mysore too!
Old 26th May 2015, 23:17   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You could have also tried: Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-Muguru-T Narasipura-Bannnur-Srirangapatna. That may have been faster and would have also avoided bad roads and the town of Mysore too!
Infact we would have backtracked the same route via Kollegal to Bangalore. However, had to take the Mysore route to pick someone enroute.

Regarding, T Narasipura - Mooguru section - NH 212 widening is ongoing at this section too. That was the reason we decided to take SH 79 to Kollegal apart from the fact that we wanted to try a new route.

OT: Congrats on the promotion
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:22   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Regarding, T Narasipura - Mooguru section - NH 212 widening is ongoing at this section too. That was the reason we decided to take SH 79 to Kollegal apart from the fact that we wanted to try a new route.
So pretty much cut-off from all directions for Mysore road access. So now the catch is to wait and find which section gets completed first and move ourselves accordingly.
Old 26th May 2015, 23:38   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So now the catch is to wait and find which section gets completed first
Yes. However, hope the NH 209 bridge gets completed soon. Seems deadline for the same is 28 June.

Pics.
Old 15th July 2015, 15:12   #131

This bridge on NH209 is open now and the ride to BR hills is shorter. Although there is some road work still going on near Yelandur but should not take much time.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:36   #132
BHPian

Is it possible to participate in the forest dept. organized jungle safari if we go on a day trip? If so, where does the safari start from and how do we book the seats.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:54   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is it possible to participate in the forest dept. organized jungle safari if we go on a day trip? If so, where does the safari start from and how do we book the seats.
The safari is at K Gudi Camp, costs 400 per person. Safaris start from 6AM in the morning, probably the timings are between 6AM-9AM and 4PM-6PM.

Last we went with the TBHP gang, we went on the 4.30PM safari trip.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 14:36   #134
BHPian

Bunch of family and friends are visiting BR Hills tomorrow on a daytrip. I visited this place in 2013, there was not many option for lunch on the hills. Me and wifey ended up having lunch at Gorukana. Is there any new option for lunch there now? More than lunch, I am concerned about restroom facilities for ladies and children. I have heard about a restaurant Giridarshini; has anyone been there? What are our lunch options other than Gorukana (we are not choosy about veg or non-veg) ?
Old 10th August 2015, 18:22   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is it possible to participate in the forest dept. organized jungle safari if we go on a day trip?
Here is the rate card for safari. Link

Regarding food options at BR Hills, I was not able to find any apart from Gorukana when I checked couple of months back.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks