Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 19:32   #151
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Thank you sandeepmohan, planning for a trip on Thursday and I am also planning to take Kanakapura road.
Old 17th May 2016, 14:56   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
Thank you sandeepmohan, planning for a trip on Thursday and I am also planning to take Kanakapura road.
Hi aravindr..how was your experience using kanakpura road. I am planning a trip this weekend

-tortoise
Old 17th May 2016, 15:10   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Hi aravindr..how was your experience using kanakpura road. I am planning a trip this weekend
Though not to/from BR hills, I had taken Kanakpura road yesterday evening. Few bad patches which were present last Dec is re-done and road is in good condition all throughout.

Not sure of road conditions once you take deviation from NH to BR hills either at Yelandur or Chamarajanagar.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 09:13   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Saturday, My colleagues and I (18 members in all) had to attend a function in Mysuru on Saturday evening.
But had we had reached Mysuru on Friday itself (5 Puntos).
During Breakfast on Saturday, One guy made a quick suggestion of driving to Biligiri Rangana Betta
15 people were ready and hence we took 4 cars and started at 11AM
We decided to go via Yelandur and return Via Chamarajanagar with a stop at the Temple/Safari at Kyathadevarayara Gudi

Onward route was Mysuru-Tirumakudalu Narasipura-Yelandur-Biligirirangana Betta-Kyathadevarayaragudi
Return route was Kyathadevarayanagudi-Chamarajanagara-Nanjanagudu-Mysuru

The entire trip from and to Mysuru was 200Kms

The onward route is very good with good Tarmac all through (medianless though)
After the forest checkpost, while climbing up, there are some narrow sections where only one vehicle can pass, but is manageable.
3 out of the four cars didn't visit the temple and I was one of them. So I do not know the condition of the last 6 Kms to the temple.
This is where we have to take a different route to Kyathadeverayaragudi

For the return journey, getting down the hills in heavy rains was awesome but the roads were patchy.
After getting down and reaching Chamarajanagar, we encountered a broken bridge and an off-road deviation
The bad roads that started here came to an end only when we reached Mysuru
This entire road is either under construction / being widened / being repaired.

Have upload dashcam videos but Haven't been able to remove the audio. so couldn't post the video or snapshot.

For now, I have got just one photo of 3 Puntos in the forest
Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-13178821_1204545769563328_2678952448349092206_n.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 21:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Onward route was Mysuru-Tirumakudalu Narasipura-Yelandur-Biligirirangana Betta-Kyathadevarayaragudi
Return route was Kyathadevarayanagudi-Chamarajanagara-Nanjanagudu-Mysuru

The entire trip from and to Mysuru was 200Kms

The onward route is very good with good Tarmac all through (medianless though)
After the forest checkpost, while climbing up, there are some narrow sections where only one vehicle can pass, but is manageable.
3 out of the four cars didn't visit the temple and I was one of them. So I do not know the condition of the last 6 Kms to the temple.
This is where we have to take a different route to Kyathadeverayaragudi

For the return journey, getting down the hills in heavy rains was awesome but the roads were patchy.
After getting down and reaching Chamarajanagar, we encountered a broken bridge and an off-road deviation
The bad roads that started here came to an end only when we reached Mysuru
This entire road is either under construction / being widened / being repaired.

Have upload dashcam videos but Haven't been able to remove the audio. so couldn't post the video or snapshot.
Here are the saved Dash cam videos.

Onward journey
I was not in my car and one of my colleagues was driving my car.
Mysore T-Narasipur road

Biligiri Rangana Betta Forest road

Return journey
I was driving my car in the return journey
Getting down KyathadeverayanaGudi

Deviation at chamarajanagara

A small stretch of good road as we approached Nanajanagudu
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:08   #156
BHPian

Been to K'Gudi in the weekend. Decided to follow the Mysore road instead of the shorter Kanakpura road, mainly due to the food options. The road from Maddur to Malavalli is being relaid with some portions neatly done and others still in work. The narrow road after Kollegal to join SH57 (Kunigal Road) is narrow and cutting through some villages. I suspect that there is not much to save in terms of time if we avoid going to Yalandur by staying on NH209. SH57 all the way up to BR hills has been quite good, even though it is narrow.
tortoise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 20:55   #157
BHPian

A biker friend and I did a Bangalore - BR Hills - Bangalore ride today. We left from the Kanakpura NICE Rd interchange at 645 AM, reached the hilltop by 1030 and were back in Bangalore by 3 PM. We turned left from Kollegala following the signposts + direction from locals and found some patchy stretches before the sublime forest stretch. We headed towards Yellandur on the way back, bypassing the bad stretch and came out on NH 209 at Yellandur.

Never saw Kanakpura road this empty!
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:36   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
A biker friend and I did a Bangalore - BR Hills - Bangalore ride today. We left from the Kanakpura NICE Rd interchange at 645 AM, reached the hilltop by 1030 and were back in Bangalore by 3 PM. We turned left from Kollegala following the signposts + direction from locals and found some patchy stretches before the sublime forest stretch. We headed towards Yellandur on the way back, bypassing the bad stretch and came out on NH 209 at Yellandur.

Never saw Kanakpura road this empty!
Am thinking of hitting the route this Saturday: https://goo.gl/maps/NXobwk4KamQ2

Should be okay? Any good places to stop for a quick snack?
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:59   #159
Senior - BHPian

The route you have selected is fine, roads are in good condition upto Kollegala, although work is in progress in small patches. Carrying water bottles is mandatory! For breakfast, Vasu Hotel in Kanakapura is the best option. There is only one good hotel in Kollegala which is opposite to KSRTC Bus stand.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:46   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am thinking of hitting the route this Saturday: https://goo.gl/maps/NXobwk4KamQ2

Should be okay? Any good places to stop for a quick snack?
There is a Iyengar bakery opposite the Kollegala Police station if you are still famished after eating absolutely heavenly dosas at Vasu hotel @ Kanakapura
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 14:50   #161
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Planning to visit K Gudi this long weekend, which route would be better; Mysore - chmrajnagar one or Kanakpura - kollegal- chmrajnagar ? On this route, the bridge on carvery River was closed for work, is it open now?
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:09   #162
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Mysore - chmrajnagar one or Kanakpura - kollegal- chmrajnagar ? On this route, the bridge on carvery River was closed for work, is it open now?
The cauvery river bridge closure was a very long time ago and has been opened since that work completed after a few months.
Kanakapura route is good, so that would be my first choice.

I'm not sure if nanjangud-chamarajanagar is good now, was quite rough couple of years ago. So, though Mysore-Nanjangud is newly laid and widened, it may not be an enjoyable drive after that.

Also, Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar is roundabout.
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:43   #163
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The cauvery river bridge closure was a very long time ago and has been opened since that work completed after a few months.
Kanakapura route is good, so that would be my first choice.

I'm not sure if nanjangud-chamarajanagar is good now, was quite rough couple of years ago. So, though Mysore-Nanjangud is newly laid and widened, it may not be an enjoyable drive after that.

Also, Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar is roundabout.
Thanks NPV, very helpful.
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:27   #164
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Thanks NPV, very helpful.
Also note that you need go upto Chamarajanagar, you can take the BR Hills route from Kollegal or go down to Yalandur and then take that route.
Map Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 21:23   #165
BHPian

What is the safari timing in the evening? Is it possible/allowed to drive back after 7PM through the forest?

Most Viewed