Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:12   #136
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Recently been on a trip to Kumbakonam from Bangalore. Thanks to the advise, took the Ulundurpet highway route from Salem and the roads are pretty good 99% percent of the journey. Have a Duster and the ride was absolutely smooth. Started at 5.40 AM and reached hotel at Kumbakonam at 12.30. The highway number between Salem and Ulundurpet is marked NH79 all across the entire stretch and hence it may be a good idea to revert to this number as reference. The highway at times become a two lane with warnings and hence watch out for oncoming traffic at certain stretches. Return via the same route and started around 7 AM and reached for lunch (1.30PM) at Bangalore.
Stayed at Rayas Grand and had food at 'Thanmayi' (restaurant in quality inn). Hotel is new and rooms quite spacious. Food is very good at Thanmayi, veg restaurant.
Old 26th November 2015, 14:27   #137
BHPian

Help alert
Am riding solo for 4 days. Main intention is to be at Chidambaram on 26th december at 3:30 am. Then at Kumbakonam for the "temple run" on 27th. Everything else is flexible. Can the experts please help me with places i could go on the route? Heard there are umpteen temples in Kumbakonam, but which ones are the really heritage / legendary ones? Please PM me and can give a quick call as well.

Dec 24:
Leave at 3pm
Coimbatore to Karur (130 kms) (~3hrs)
Dec 25:
Karur to Tiruvanaikoil - 83 kms (~1.5 hrs)
Lunch @ Tiruvanaikoil
Thiruvanaikoil to Chirambaram - 141 kms (~3hrs)
Tiruvanaikoil - Lalgudi - Paluvur - gangai konda cholapuram - Chidambaram
Need to be at Chidambaram temple at 3:30am on december 26th
Dec 26:
Chidambaram to Kumbakonam - 80kms (2hrs)
Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Vaitheeswaran koil - Mayiladuthurai - Kumbakonam
Dec 27th:
Kumbakonam to Thanjavur - 40 kms
Kumbakonam - Papanasam - Pasupathikoil - Thiruvedhikudi - Thanjavur

Thanjavur to Karur - 134 kms (~3hrs)
Thanjavur - Vallam - Thiruverumbur - Woraiur - Sirugamani - Karur
Dec 28:
Karur to Coimbatore
Old 26th November 2015, 17:27   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Dec 24:
Leave at 3pm
Coimbatore to Karur (130 kms) (~3hrs)
Any reason to break journey ?

The major temples on the way to Kumbakonam that you may want to visit:
- Vaitheeshwaran Kovil on the way to KMU
- Govindapuram past Mayavaram
- Gangaikondacholapuram

At Kumbhakonam
- Darsuram
- Swamimalai
- Uppiliappan
- Thirunageshwaram

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2015 at 19:28. Reason: Corrected abbrevations
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 19:02   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any reason to break journey ?

At KMU
- Darsuram
- Swamimalai
- Uppiliappan
- Thirunageshwaram
No break in journey. Am starting at 3pm from coimbatore and planning to spend the night at Karur (as riding till tiruchi or chidambaram could be a stretch). what do you think?

what is KMU?
Old 26th November 2015, 19:30   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No break in journey. Am starting at 3pm from coimbatore and planning to spend the night at Karur (as riding till tiruchi or chidambaram could be a stretch). what do you think?
Are you on bike or a car? If car, you can easily go past. If you start in the morning you should be in Chidambaram by evening easily.

Quote:
what is KMU?
Sorry for that! Corrected my post. KMU is how Kumbakonam is referred by Indian railways!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 20:22   #141
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you on bike or a car? If car, you can easily go past. If you start in the morning you should be in Chidambaram by evening easily.
@amp - OP mentioned he is riding solo, guess he is riding solo on PAPS
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 09:46   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Are you on bike or a car?
No. its going to be my Bike . So think i can do max 220-230kms per day.
24th night stay in Karur. 25th night stay in chidambaram. 26th night stay in kumbakonam. 27th night at Karur and 28th back in coimbatore is what the idea is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@amp - OP mentioned he is riding solo, guess he is riding solo on PAPS
Absolutely right Naresh. you wanna join in ?
Old 27th November 2015, 10:11   #143
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely right Naresh. you wanna join in ?
Wish I could, not at that time, too many things keeping us busy then
Are you absolutely sure you want to take the PAPS and not the car ?
Have a safe trip and enjoy the countryside, the local food and visit to the temples
At Karur, the Residency hotel is one one the best around - if it's within your budget, stay there.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 09:53   #144
BHPian

Returned back from my Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Bangalore trip 2 days back. Here are some updates on the road conditions.

1. Bangalore - Attoor: Road condition- Excellent.
2. Attoor - Vridhachalam: Patches of very bad stretch. You can drive on 3rd of 4th gear for 70% of the route. Some very bad potholes on the road. The whole stretch of 57 kms took 1.5 hours to complete.
3: Vridhachalam to Kumbakonam via Jayankondam: Decent roads.

On the way back, I started from Tirunallar. Here is the route:

1. Tirunallar - Chidambaram: Good roads.
2. Chidambaram - Vridhachalam: Very bad road. Just avoid it like plague. It took 2 hours to complete this 41kms stretch.
3. Vridhachalam - Ulundurpet: I was planning to take this stretch but I was strongly adviced by some locals and drivers in Vridhachalam that it is in a very bad stretch which should be taken by small vehicles.
recker_us is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 10:01   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
1. Tirunallar - Chidambaram: Good roads.
Thanks a lot for the update. how is the rain/flood situation there? any cause for concern? Any change in your comments if the machine is a two wheeler?
Old 10th December 2015, 10:14   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
2. Chidambaram - Vridhachalam: Very bad road. Just avoid it like plague. It took 2 hours to complete this 41kms stretch.
3. Vridhachalam - Ulundurpet: I was planning to take this stretch but I was strongly adviced by some locals and drivers in Vridhachalam that it is in a very bad stretch which should be taken by small vehicles.
Thanks for the above two updates. So looks like there is nothing much that can be done here looks like. Either use Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhachalam or take the SH.

Chidambaram - Vridhachalam is a critical route for access to south of Pondicherry. They need to improve that section. But 2 hours for 41km says a lot!

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2015 at 20:27.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the update. how is the rain/flood situation there? any cause for concern? Any change in your comments if the machine is a two wheeler?
It was raining very heavily in Karaikal when I was there. I was running the wipers at max speed but still found them lacking. That should give an idea of rain intensity. We finally had to abandon the plan of visiting the karaikal beach. But it started getting better as I headed north towards Chidambaram. Two wheelers should be manageable as most of the locals skirt on these roads comfortably.

Quote:
Thanks for the above two updates. So looks there is nothing much that can be done here looks like. Either use Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhachalam or take the SH.
I am afraid that may not help because the worst part of this stretch lies between Veppur - Vridhachalam. If someone can manoeuvre this stretch, then Veppur-Attur part is comparatively easier to handle.
recker_us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 18:19   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the above two updates. So looks there is nothing much that can be done here looks like. Either use Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhachalam or take the SH.

Chidambaram - Vridhachalam is a critical route for access to south of Pondicherry. They need to improve that section. But 2 hours for 41km says a lot!
I drove there during Dussehra holidays. But my route was from Gangaikonda Cholapuram. Jayamkondan-Virudhachalam was good. But after Virudhachalam, it was pathetic until Veppur. I could see the Veppur-ChinnaSalem stretch being prepared for tarring, hopefully they do the Virudhachalam-Veppur also soon.

This road is the shortest to connect to the Chidambaram/Cuddalore district from West, but unfortunately is not maintained.

So to sum it up, Virudhachalam is probably accessible only from either South/North not from East/West! Hmmm...time to write to Captain!
Old 10th December 2015, 19:12   #149
Senior - BHPian

When you meant Veppur, I hope you meant between Veppur Koot Road (aka V.Koot road) till Vridhachalam. Is that correct?

If so, they are usually bad in last 2 years and nothing improved.
Those who drive from Bangalore, better to drive further down to Ulundurpet and then drive towards Vridhachalam, Jayakondam instead of taking right at V.Koot Road junction below the flyover.

That is: Attur-Thalaivasal-Ulunderput-Vridhachalam-Jayankondam and NOT Attur-Thalaivasal-V.Koot Road-chinna salem-Vridhachalam.

-Ravi
Old 11th December 2015, 07:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
But after Virudhachalam, it was pathetic until Veppur. I could see the Veppur-ChinnaSalem stretch being prepared for tarring, hopefully they do the Virudhachalam-Veppur also soon.

This road is the shortest to connect to the Chidambaram/Cuddalore district from West, but unfortunately is not maintained.

So to sum it up, Virudhachalam is probably accessible only from either South/North not from East/West! Hmmm...time to write to Captain!
The road you are talking about is the V Koot road aka NH 532. It would be a shame to call this NH. I endured a tough time and rough drive while going to kumbakonam.
IMO the best route from Bangalore would be Via Hosur,Krishnagiri, Salem, Ulundurpet, Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan and T Polur.
Incase you do not wish to spend more money on tolls, the route would be via Hosur,Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, T V Malai, Tirukkoilur by pass, Ulundurpet and the remaining route same as what is mentioned above.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks