Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 19:10   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont know if the current rains has the changed the status so dramatically. But the Virudhachalam to Kumbakonam road is pretty wide and good to go to worse so bad so soon.

We should check with more real time info as well.
Took Salem-Attur-Thalaivasal turnoff-Perambalur-Ariyalur-T.Palur-Kumbakonam.

Thalaivasal turnoff-Perambalur was the only fly in ointment where road work is happening. It is 80% complete with only a couple of Bridges and some 2-3km pending. Rest is good.

Perambalur-Ariyalur is fantastic broad 2 lane which will become a toll road soon.

Ariyalur-T.Palur was good roads throughout but narrow and lot of curves.

T.Palur-Kumbakonam has borne the brunt of sand lorries and rain with unexpected potholes.

Overall it was decent enough since both Perambalur and Ariyalur have bye passes. Took 6 hours. Will try the return via Jayankondam-Virudhachalam.
luvurride is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 19:23   #227
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

I have been driving Chennai - Peralam often over the last 3 months and below is the best route in my opinion after trying multiple routes.

Chennai - Villupuram - Veppur - Vridachalam Bypass - Andimadam - Jayamkondam - Gangai Konda Cholapuram - Anaikarai - Tirupananthal - Aduthurai - Manganallur - Peralam.

With the rains last month, Aduthurai - Mangainallur deserves a special mention as it's a winding and beautiful narrow 2 lane road with the entire stretch along the 'Veera Chola' river with villages, paddy fields and pedestrian bridges on the river.

Really recommend this route for anyone going to Mayiladuthurai or Tirunallar as well. Manganallur is barely 10km from Mayiladuthurai town and Tirunallar is approx 10km from Peralam.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 11th December 2017 at 19:33. Reason: Added route snapshot
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 19:28   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Thalaivasal turnoff-Perambalur was the only fly in ointment where road work is happening. It is 80% complete with only a couple of Bridges and some 2-3km pending. Rest is good.
You should not have taken that!

Quote:
Overall it was decent enough since both Perambalur and Ariyalur have bye passes. Took 6 hours. Will try the return via Jayankondam-Virudhachalam.
This is the tried and tested route to be taken. To the best of my knowledge, it has stood the test of time for the last couple of years. Especially once NH532 has been relaid (Vridhachalam- V Koot Road).
Old 11th December 2017, 20:11   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Perambalur-Ariyalur is fantastic broad 2 lane which will become a toll road soon.
Thalaivasal-Veppur itself was very good. The section hasn't seen much rains, so I doubt its gone bad.

Its heartening to know about Perambalur-Ariyalur. Perambalur-Ariyalur-Thanjavur has been under construction (I was hearing 4-laning) for nearly a decade. Acquaintances who've passed this way only had bad things to say, even until about 6 months back. So your update comes as a surprise.
Old 12th December 2017, 20:48   #230
BHPian

I drove back via T.Palur-Jayamkondan-Virudhachalam-Attur. Still serves right as the entire stretch was good and I made it to Salem from Kumbakonam in 2:30 hours.
luvurride is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 20:50   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I drove back via T.Palur-Jayamkondan-Virudhachalam-Attur. Still serves right as the entire stretch was good and I made it to Salem from Kumbakonam in 2:30 hours.
This option never fails us. Fastest possible option amongst the lot. The only outlier is the drive till T-Palur. Lots of humps of trucks. Though trucks continue to plague this stretch traffic eases out slows as you move away.

And the biggest advantage is the fact that you dont need to go into Virdhuchalam. Take the arrow straight 2-Lane to V Koot Road via Veppur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I have been driving Chennai - Peralam often over the last 3 months and below is the best route in my opinion after trying multiple routes.
Chennai - Villupuram - Veppur - Vridachalam Bypass - Andimadam - Jayamkondam - Gangai Konda Cholapuram - Anaikarai - Tirupananthal - Aduthurai - Manganallur - Peralam.
I usually ended up driving till Kumbakonam and take the road to Kollumangudi after taking the bypass. But looks like I should try your suggestion. The other problem is traffic over Anaikarai used to be unpredictable. Sometimes they allowed and some times they stopped ? Has that situation changed?

Quote:
With the rains last month, Aduthurai - Mangainallur deserves a special mention as it's a winding and beautiful narrow 2 lane road with the entire stretch along the 'Veera Chola' river with villages, paddy fields and pedestrian bridges on the river.
Thanks! Need to try it out!

Quote:
Really recommend this route for anyone going to Mayiladuthurai or Tirunallar as well. Manganallur is barely 10km from Mayiladuthurai town and Tirunallar is approx 10km from Peralam.
Another option which I tried to Mayavaram is via Kattumannarkovil. It was mixed bag. There is a huge bridge on Kolldam. But beyond the bridge its broken roads for some kms before you hit SH to Mayavaram.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2017 at 20:57.
Old 12th December 2017, 20:54   #232
BHPian

Quote:
This option never fails us. Fastest possible option amongst the lot. The only outlier is the drive till T-Palur. Lots of humps of trucks. Though trucks continue to plague this stretch traffic eases out slows as you move away.

And the biggest advantage is the fact that you dont need to go into Virdhuchalam. Take the arrow straight 2-Lane to V Koot Road via Veppur.
With sand mining under check for sometime now, this stretch hasn't been battered too much. Also, I saw the pothole filling work under progress from Jayamkondam to T.Palur. I hope they continue to do this till Kumbakonam.
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 20:37   #233
BHPian

Quote:
I usually ended up driving till Kumbakonam and take the road to Kollumangudi after taking the bypass. But looks like I should try your suggestion. The other problem is traffic over Anaikarai used to be unpredictable. Sometimes they allowed and some times they stopped ? Has that situation changed?
The first alternate route I tried was via T.Palur and Kumbakonam Bypass as suggested by you couple of pages earlier in this thread. The road itself was fine except between T.Palur to Kumbakonam where the roads are a bit narrow and with speed breakers. So, when I was planning for my next trip via this same route, Google Maps suggested this route from Thirupananthal instead of going all the way to Kumbakonam.

While on Aduthurai - Manganallur road, you may also opt to take right at Nachinarkudi and join Kumbakonam - Karaikal road at Srikandapuram before Kollumangudi instead of going to Manganallur and join Mayiladuthurai - Thiruvarur road. I found that both routes takes approximately same time and of similar condition.

I have crossed Anaikarai 6 times over the last 2 months, the first time was the day before Deepavali and it took the cops 30 minutes to allow the traffic to proceed because of the crowded roads in the town. Since then, it has not taken more than 5 minutes of wait to pass through.

I tried the Kattumannar Koil route too but as you said, except for the empty Kollidam bridge, the route is underwhelming in terms of road condition.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 21:23   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
The road itself was fine except between T.Palur to Kumbakonam where the roads are a bit narrow and with speed breakers. So, when I was planning for my next trip via this same route, Google Maps suggested this route from Thirupananthal instead of going all the way to Kumbakonam.
Only reason to skip Anaikarai was the unpredictability of authorities to allow traffic on the bridge.

Quote:
While on Aduthurai - Manganallur road, you may also opt to take right at Nachinarkudi and join Kumbakonam - Karaikal road at Srikandapuram before Kollumangudi instead of going to Manganallur and join Mayiladuthurai - Thiruvarur road. I found that both routes takes approximately same time and of similar condition.
Have been to Aduthrai multiple times thanks to the temples (Suryanaar/Kanjanoor etc) But never tried the route up! Not to mention the degree coffee next to Govindapuram!

Quote:
I tried the Kattumannar Koil route too but as you said, except for the empty Kollidam bridge, the route is underwhelming in terms of road condition.
I did the Jayamkondam-Gangaikonda Cholapuram-Kattumannar kovil option. But yes beyond that roads went pretty bad. Since my destination was Mayavaram, I still reached in good time. A 4:30 Start with Salem at 7. Started again at 8 and was in Mayavaram by 11:30.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 22:00   #235
BHPian

Latest update on few sections based on the recent weekend trip.

Route taken:
From Chennai: Chennai - Veppur - Jayamkondam - Anaikarai - Aduthurai - Srikandapuram - Kollumangudi - Peralam

To Chennai: Peralam - Kollumangudi - Manganallur - Aduthurai - Anaikarai - Sethiyathope - Panruti - Vikravandi - Chennai

Updates:

Sethiyathope - Vikravandi - Absolutely in shambles for most part. If you value your vehicle dear, don't take this road.

Veppur - Vridachalam Bypass - Potholes filled and few small sections which were broken have been fixed. Back to perfect from good now.

Srikandapuram - Kollumangudi - Lots of potholes. Filled up using stones and debris.

Other sections are mostly good or remains same as updated earlier. The route I updated a few posts above in this thread (Chennai - Veppur - Jayamkondam - Anaikarai - Aduthurai - Manganallur) still remains the better option to take in terms of road condition to these parts.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 26th December 2017 at 22:01. Reason: Typos fixed
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:59   #236
BHPian

Hi all,

Planning a drive to Kumbakonam with a 4 AM start from HSR.

a. Any idea about the traffic situation at Attibele, Krishnagiri and Thoppur tolls?
b. Is it worth taking the Attibele - Rayakottai - Palacode - Dharmapuri road?

Thanks in advance
Old 30th December 2017, 07:57   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Planning a drive to Kumbakonam with a 4 AM start from HSR.
a. Any idea about the traffic situation at Attibele, Krishnagiri and Thoppur tolls?
b. Is it worth taking the Attibele - Rayakottai - Palacode - Dharmapuri road?
An early start would enable you to beat the tolls. I think you would have already left by the time you read this. I would suggest to be on the 4-lane and start early.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:39   #238
BHPian

Quote:
An early start would enable you to beat the tolls. I think you would have already left by the time you read this. I would suggest to be on the 4-lane and start early.
Yes. Thanks

I started late by 5.15 only. Still managed to clear the three tolls in quick time. Traffic is less than what I anticipated for a three day weekend.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:47   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Yes. Thanks

I started late by 5.15 only. Still managed to clear the three tolls in quick time. Traffic is less than what I anticipated for a three day weekend.
Thats because the birds have already flown!

But do plan an early return. Its going to be jammed on the way back.
Old 5th January 2018, 15:47   #240
BHPian

Hi all,

Did Bangalore - Salem - Vriddachalam - Jayankondam - Kumbakonam during the New year weekend. Some observations:

1. Exiting Bangalore through Silk Board, Electronic city was pretty smooth despite the late (5.15 AM) start
2. Cleared Attibele, Krishnagiri and Thoppur tolls in 5 to 10 minutes each (which is fairly decent looking at the king sized jams that happen in these places)
3. Salem bypass was crowded as usual with a bridge construction/road work adding to the confusion
4. For the turn off after Thalaivasal, the signboards were for Veppur/Vriddachalam. No signboards for Kumbakonam which might be misleading for first timers
5. Thalaivasal - Veppur - Vriddachalam : Excellent 2 lane road with minimal traffic (except the Veppur junction). There was also a non functional toll booth (abandoned?)
6. Vriddachalam - Jayankondam: Very good road surface, narrower than the previous stretch and lot more traffic
7. Jayankondam - Pazhur - Kumbakonam: Decent road condition but narrows down a lot in the approach towards Kumbakonam bypass

Comfortable trip overall. Thanks a lot for all your inputs
ns94 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks